• FFXIV

147 24.18%
  • WoW:Cataclysm

50 8.22%

Thread: Most failed MMO

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
    At least I've found the game a lot less funner than it was in TBC/WotLK.

Deleted
    Star Wars : TOR

With a franchise the size of Star Wars and a developer like Bioware this game should be alot better, it was over-hyped and released in a terrible condition, after all the money and time spent making this game and the hype it caused before launch this game has to be the biggest fail to date.

How can you vote on a failed MMO if it has launched? All those MMO's that didn't launch failed much more as far as I'm concerned. I honestly wanted the Stargate Worlds to come around because it looked awesome! Sadly it died before it came out. I don't see Star Trek on there though, sad stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephre View Post
    SW:TOR - aka TORtanic
    Spend hundreds of millions making an MMO? - Check
    Have less features than most modern MMOS? - Check
    Extremely overhyped - Check
    Boring and poorly thought out dailies? - Check
    Pointless to run nightmare when you get the same loot from hard? - Check

I'm sure there's a vast amount more that can be added to that list.
    Quality isn't really the question though. The game is a success because it made metric shit tons of money. When you compare that to a game like DC Universe that had a ton of hype, and a similarly successful and long standing setting to back it, which game do you think is a bigger failure. You can say you dislike it all day long, EA and Bioware are still cashing fat TOR checks and that makes it a success.

15+ Year Old Account
    Warhammer Online for me. Got to 40, tried endgame world PvP, servers couldn't handle it for shit. Nothing was done to fix that for ages. Gave up on it.

Lol at putting a game thats not even out on this list. And why would anyone vote for right. It wasn't even close to the failure of many of the other games. It had hardly any problems when it came out compared to conan and allthough it's not a wow killer (pretty sure it was never intended too) it's a solid game that might not be rethinking everything but it's not a bad game.
    This is like calling a game a failure just because it doesn't rival wow when it comes to subs (read rift had really everything a mmo needed and still adding shit ton of content aka still going strong)

10+ Year Old Account
    Farewell, Tortanic. I will not miss you.

I never played ye, but I despise everything Bioware stands for today. Please, flop so hard that the entire company can never recover.
    We will stand above the city, rising high above the streets
    From tops of buildings we will look, at all that lies beneath our feet
    We will raise our hands above us, cold steel shining in the sun
    With these hands that will not bleed, my father's battle will be won!

Drakkosh Zhysta Shivarra Tesela

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Final Fantasy 14. When a group such as Square Enix have to apologise for the appauling state of their own game and even offer free play time, you know it's not good.
    let's not forget that they also indefinately delayed the ps3 release and also fired about 80% of the people in charge of it
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

Deleted
    Guild Wars 2
    ... But... its not out yet.... why is it on the poll?

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly swtor, it was extremely hyped and had a huge amount of money spent on it. Bioware was really trying to put it ahead in the MMO market, but ultimately hasn't done so.

Anyone who votes for Rift, SWTOR or WOW:Cata has no common sense. You could maybe make a argument for WoW Cata since the game lost alot of subs, but the game still made a boatload of money for Activision, and is still the dominant MMO. Rift eclipsed all expectations and made a nice profit for Trion Worlds and is going strong. SWTOR may have not met fan expectations (I personally didn't think it was ready) but the game will make back its cost at this point, and make a nice profit for EA. I'd have to say Warhammer Online or FFXIV as far as the big MMO's.

Failure isn't about wether you like the game. Its about wether the game had success. The big 3 all were successful financially which is what counts. If you overhype a game to unrealistic expectations and you consider it a failure cause it didn't meet those expectations that is on you. GW2 is gonna have this same problem. It looks like it will be a amazing game, maybe the best MMO to come along for awhile but to hear some people speak of it you would think its the second coming of Jesus (if you believe in that sort of thing). I was realistic about SWTOR cause I knew that it was rushed, and I knew it was gonna have flaws. So I played it for it was, a great single player experience with a subpar MMO experience tacked on. I felt I got my box price's worth.

GW2 shouldn't be in this poll since its not out yet. Derp

Quote Originally Posted by Keex View Post
    according to the wikipedia article it wasn't as much about gameplay fails etc. but the company went into administration and was therefore unable to maintain the servers after just a few weeks. sounds more like general bad management and not really like a direct gameplay problem.
    Well, it was a mismanaged development process which led to RTW producing a buggy, unfun game at huge expense. They created a deep and interesting customisation system attached to a game very few people would want to play. They blew over £100m, and barely got anything back; it was the badness of the game that caused the company to fail. I don't really know why it's not included on this list, as it was a widely-known spectacular failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Oboloz View Post
    Honestly swtor, it was extremely hyped and had a huge amount of money spent on it. Bioware was really trying to put it ahead in the MMO market, but ultimately hasn't done so.
    This is what happens when you dump a lot of money into over-saturated market and don't take any risks.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

GW2 isn't even out yet, it doesn't even have a release date.

Also the truth is none of the above. Even though I enjoyed Tabula Rasa, that is the real answer to this question.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe I told you people about swtor countless times xD
    Shall I be dramatic and say "You haven't heard the last of me,"?

LIFE

(L)ive, (I)nfluence, (F)ight, (E)njoy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I love how GW2 is in the poll while it isn't even out yet... it got massive hype and you already say it fails.

Anyway, I'd say WoW: Cataclysm. Destroyed WoW we once knew and loved, now its just a empty shell of its former self
    I don't want to be cynical, but the exact same fucking thing was said after WotLK..

15+ Year Old Account
    Definitely DC Universe Online for me. I literally got bored after 2 hours of playing.

SWTOR is nice, but it's missing so many things that we have grown to expect from today's MMOs.

Umm...Rift is doing quite well and growing, if I understand correctly. Best raid MMO right now, imo.

While it's not the worst game on the list (I'd peg it mid), this is easily SWTOR for me based on the staggering investment ($250M+ !!) and high expectations. Ultimately, it rehashed long standing MMO systems, baking in BW's familiar story/dialog tech from other games, all on top of a horrible game engine.
    Retired GM of Temerity - US Top 50 raiding on a strict 3 nights since Ulduar. Check us out!
    https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/hyjal/Temerity

Going with Age of Conan. While I was disappointed in Aion and SWTOR greatly they weren't exactly failures. Age of Conan was so bad. Warhammer is runner up imo.