Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thinking about giving Rift a go, a couple quick questions.

1. From what I have found in order to upgrade from a trial to a full version of the game it's only $4.99 (and $14.99/mo subscription), is this correct?

2. What's the community like in Rift? It seems like the WoW community has gone to crap during Cataclysm, I've noticed a lot more immature people trolling and just acting like asshats in general.

3. A few people I've talked to say that leveling is a huge grind. Understandably, every MMO is going to feel like a grind when leveling, but is there anything cool that might stand out in Rift that might make the grind a little more entertaining?

4. How is the end-game in Rift (raiding?)? Lately I have been getting insanely bored with raiding in WoW (pretty much everything post t11 Cataclysm).

5. What's your favorite class that you have played in Rift?

Thanks in advance for all the info

Welp, our server is weak, ill tell ya that vez ;-), check mah name!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vezrah View Post
    1. From what I have found in order to upgrade from a trial to a full version of the game it's only $4.99 (and $14.99/mo subscription), is this correct?

2. What's the community like in Rift? It seems like the WoW community has gone to crap during Cataclysm, I've noticed a lot more immature people trolling and just acting like asshats in general.

3. A few people I've talked to say that leveling is a huge grind. Understandably, every MMO is going to feel like a grind when leveling, but is there anything cool that might stand out in Rift that might make the grind a little more entertaining?

4. How is the end-game in Rift (raiding?)? Lately I have been getting insanely bored with raiding in WoW (pretty much everything post t11 Cataclysm).

1. I don't know

2. Depends on the server, to be honest i've seen many ar-se holes in Rift too.

3. Rift's, Rift Attacks, Artifact findings.

4. I don't know, probably worse than WoW.

5 Every Class is pretty much the same as the classes in WoW, just with different names to trick you. For example the Saboteur is a ranged rogue, building up combo points and doing you finishing moves, existing of; Rapture, Eviscrate, Sunder Armor and all those goodies, of course it's very boring when you figure out. Thought it's very fun to juke with the Saboteur as it gets an increased mix of abilitys when leveling. The Elementalist is a warlock by the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol what's up Jakzz. Ya, Malygos is bbbbooooooring as shit.

In my opinion, there's a lot more to do in Rift. Always zone events, instant adventures, etc. at 50 going. Leveling is boring to me in any game, but the developers have admitted that they wanted to rush leveling so that you can get to 50 where the good stuff is. Took me 2-3 weeks, and there's some variety as how you can do it (rifts, quests, pvp, dungeons..)

Raiding is tiered, so raids don't become obsolete once new raids come out, aka, you have to actually progress instead of take the free epics and do the new raid without ever finishing the last one. I like this because it makes you be part of a good guild and actually play the game. PvP is ranked, and there's some variety there, but no actual competitive pvp beyond that. So far, I've found the classes (and there are a ton of possibilities and variety to play with here) to be fairly balanced. The raid dps is usually pretty even on bosses, for example.

Having a lot more fun in Rift than WoW. We cleared DS pretty fast, and PvP is so unbalanced (and will stay that way for months and months) that I can't enjoy the game anymore. I had planned on playing Rift to fill time until MoP, but I might stay since MoP is adding a lot of features Rift already has (Scenarios, Leaderboards, AoE-loot (lol)). You can really tell Trion cares about their game, kind of like how WoW used to be before they started caring more about shareholders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at all the different classes on the main Rift site. I'm leaning toward making an Elementalist, I do have one other question though. When you make a character are you able to fully customize it (looks/gender/etc.. mainly gender)?

---------- Post added 2012-04-08 at 07:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jargan View Post
    Raiding is tiered, so raids don't become obsolete once new raids come out, aka, you have to actually progress instead of take the free epics and do the new raid without ever finishing the last one. I like this because it makes you be part of a good guild and actually play the game. PvP is ranked, and there's some variety there, but no actual competitive pvp beyond that. So far, I've found the classes (and there are a ton of possibilities and variety to play with here) to be fairly balanced. The raid dps is usually pretty even on bosses, for example.
    As soon as I read that I literally screamed like a 10 year old girl. I can't stand how every content patch in WoW the previous tier becomes completely obsolete.

That's basically how my guild is now. We cleared 8/8H like 3-4 weeks ago and now we raid 1 night a week farming everything and nobody logs on to do anything else. There's literally nothing else to do that entertains me. I'm honestly not very excited for MoP right now either. I'm hoping it's going to be 10000% better than Cataclysm (which shouldn't be hard), but I'm not going to get my hopes up.
    Last edited by DeulonUS; 2012-04-09 at 03:03 AM.

1. Pretty much. Goes on a sale alot.

2. The same as any online game. I notice no better or worse from game to game.

3. Ermh, people you were speaking to probably are not very smart. Rift has one the fastest leveling schemes of a major MMO. The devs purposeful have said they wanted levels to be quick & accessible. One can reach max level in Rift in like /played 2 days.

Everything in Rift gives XP, by the tons. I'd say the variety of what you do while leveling in Rift is pretty neat- PVP, questing, Rift busting, zone events, dungeons, puzzles, etc. I leveled an alt on the least populated faction through LFG w/o ever leaving the starter city in /played 4days. Had I quested, closed rifts or PVP'd- that would be cut by 2/3rds easily.

All that is minor because leveling in Rift is a "blink-n-miss it" deal. Rift's grind comes after reaching max level.

4. Raiding is superb. The best of any current MMO; class balance in PVE is very good. Raid encounters are much the same as in WOW with the distinguishing factor being Rift's play-doh class system and the difficulty of raid content.

There are not many shortcuts in Rift such as welfare epics. Usually have to actually raid for gear progressively. There are "catch-up" options in the form of vendor gear and crafted gear. Though the catch-up gear is a shade lower in quality, also way expensive/time consuming. So while that stuff in there in Rift it is a far cry from running LFR/Normal modes to gear up.

In fact, there is no LFR/Normal mode. Every raid is one difficulty, one group size and each raid is a discrete zone.

5. Cleric. Simply because they can fill any role on the fly. Although I main a Warrior for serious business.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-04-09 at 03:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you able to customize your characters gender/looks and whatnot?

Deleted

1. It's probably correct.

2. The community is better imo. Less kids than Wow for sure!

3. The levelins isn't a "huge grind". If you play the game right, you will notice that there are plenty of different ways to level up. For example, you get lot's of exp from just doing Warfronts(PvP), closing rifts, fighting invasions and attendning zone events. Also at level 45+ you can do Instant Adventure, which gives loads of exp in a short period of time. I'm leveling an alt atm and I have barely touched any quests, been attending zone events/closing rifts and done warfronts mostly. You can skip any zone or quests you like and do other stuff instead that gives alot of exp.

4. It's probably one of the best parts of Rift. The endgame is really great. The current top tier 20 man raid is Hammerknell, it's epic and very challenging! They are releasing a new 20 man (Infernal Dawn) in patch 1.8 that will be released within weeks. There are plenty of other lower tier raids available as well of course! At max level and lower level you can attend various zone events, world events, Instant Adventure, solo/duo dungeons, 5 man dungeons (Normal, Expert, Master Mode), different kinds of rifts (raid/major/minor/crafting/pvp), crafting/gathering, active world pvp, warfronts, artifact collecting, whole island for geared level 50s with story quest/other quests/onlaughts, Planar Attunement(you continue to gain experience after you hit level 50, you spend the points on minor stats upgrades/new abilities), hidden puzzles around the world and ofc many different raid instances & more. Basically you will never be idling in the city waiting in a queue. There are so many things you can attend in the open world! It has so much more to offer than just raiding/dungeons and Warfronts(BGs).

5. My favourite class is Warrior(Champion), haven't even tried all classes yet. I'm way too busy on my main character! It's great that you can specc any crazy combination of souls you want. I'm making my own hybridspeccs for fun, some of them works really great for soloing/leveling.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    1. Pretty much. Goes on a sale alot.

2. The same as any online game. I notice no better or worse from game to game.

3. Ermh, people you were speaking to probably are not very smart. Rift has one the fastest leveling schemes of a major MMO. The devs purposeful have said they wanted levels to be quick & accessible. One can reach max level in Rift in like /played 2 days.

Everything in Rift gives XP, by the tons. I'd say the variety of what you do while leveling in Rift is pretty neat- PVP, questing, Rift busting, zone events, dungeons, puzzles, etc. I leveled an alt on the least populated faction through LFG w/o ever leaving the starter city in /played 4days. Had I quested, closed rifts or PVP'd- that would be cut by 2/3rds easily.

All that is minor because leveling in Rift is a "blink-n-miss it" deal. Rift's grind comes after reaching max level.

4. Raiding is superb. The best of any current MMO; class balance in PVE is very good. Raid encounters are much the same as in WOW with the distinguishing factor being Rift's play-doh class system and the difficulty of raid content.

There are not many shortcuts in Rift such as welfare epics. Usually have to actually raid for gear progressively. There are "catch-up" options in the form of vendor gear and crafted gear. Though the catch-up gear is a shade lower in quality, also way expensive/time consuming. So while that stuff in there in Rift it is a far cry from running LFR/Normal modes to gear up.

In fact, there is no LFR/Normal mode. Every raid is one difficulty, one group size and each raid is a discrete zone.

5. Cleric. Simply because they can fill any role on the fly. Although I main a Warrior for serious business.
    Fencers summed it up nicely, I don't know who told you leveling was a grind, but they're very wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. From what I have found in order to upgrade from a trial to a full version of the game it's only $4.99 (and $14.99/mo subscription), is this correct? Yes

Sadly it seems the immature WoW trolls have migrated to Rift. Trade chat is awful at peak times.

3. A few people I've talked to say that leveling is a huge grind. Understandably, every MMO is going to feel like a grind when leveling, but is there anything cool that might stand out in Rift that might make the grind a little more entertaining? Levelling USED to be Grind, it has greatly improved now, a lot faster and they fixed the mob aggro crap

I just PVP so cant comment on that

Warlock and Marksman imho

+10 etc ...

Are you able to customize your characters gender/looks and whatnot?
    Of course. Why would you think that would not be included in a AAA MMO?

There is a wardrobe system too similar to EQ2 and LOTRO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Of course. Why would you think that would not be included in a AAA MMO?

There is a wardrobe system too similar to EQ2 and LOTRO.
    Okay, thanks a lot for clearing that up for me. I was like 99.9999% sure they had to have customization, just wanted that last .0001%

---------- Post added 2012-04-08 at 08:59 PM ----------

Totally downloading it tonight and going to start playing tomorrow. Thanks for all the info guys/gals.

---------- Post added 2012-04-08 at 10:10 PM ----------

One last question... As far as servers go, are all the North American servers based in Dallas, TX like I have been reading or have they added any locations?
    Last edited by DeulonUS; 2012-04-09 at 05:11 AM.

1. It's pretty cheap, prices vary all the time based on sales/region etc

2. A lot of the WoW trolls came to Rift upon release and then left. In my experience the community is a lot more mature, at least among the high-end raiders anyway. Of course there are arsehats about, but this is the internet so, waddayagonnado?

3. Levelling is my bane in every game, I detest questing so I just don't do it at all once I can queue for dungeons/pvp. It doesn't take long at all and there really is a lot to do to break it up. Dungeons/PvP etc, zone events, Rifts, exploration if that's your sort of thing.

4. Raiding in Rift is outstanding. The quality of the encounters that Trion release is awesome. Everything is challenging with inventive mechanics and you actually feel pretty epic when you kill a new boss.

5. My Mage, my main and first character, is definitely my favourite to play. I find it has more complexity and a higher skillcap than the other classes. I feel like I'm always improving every time I use it.

All NA servers are based in the same place (not sure where, though), and all are on Pacific Time for server time.

As for the other questions:
    2: I find the community to be a hell of a lot more helpful when someone asks a question. There aren't really that many trolls that I have encountered. Of course, I play on the one and only RP server Trion left up (the only mistake they made was having only a single RP server for NA), which typically equates to more mature people in my experience.

3: Leveling has definitely sped up since last summer. However, it feels like a drag once you reach level 30 until you reach 45. Once you reach 45, you get to participate in "Instant Adventures", which greatly speeds up the acquisition of the last 5 levels. You can gain 45-50 in about 4 hours through this method.

4: No comment on the raiding, as I haven't attempted any of it. I am actually afraid to, because of my horrible computer. After doing the Daily Raid Rift in Iron Pine (water rift), and getting 2-3 fps with 20 people, I would hate to get that much in an actual raid environment where it could cause a wipe to the whole group.

5: My first character was a mage. He is my main. He's an elementalist/chloromancer/stormcaller (my leveling/solo spec), and it kept me alive quite a bit while questing through the tougher times (last summer was much more painful and tougher than it is now when it comes to questing). My earth elemental tanked for me, chloromancer kept me alive, and stormcaller let me destroy fairly easily. Leveling a warrior as a paladin/warlord/reaver and am enjoying it (level 42 atm).

One last question... As far as servers go, are all the North American servers based in Dallas, TX like I have been reading or have they added any locations?
    Yes, they're all in one spot. Servers are set to PST, but I am sure you'll be able to find EST guilds/servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Yes, for the Digital copy. I'm sure if you got in the stores, it would be more.

2. Overall, I feel like the community is very reminiscent of Vanilla WoW. It's great right now. People are very nice and helpful. You have the regular trolls, as usual, but overall, very supportive/helpful community right now.

3. Leveling doesn't feel like a grind, so much as a slow process. Again, I feel like it's reminiscent of when WoW was first released, although, I'm leveling faster in Rift than I did in Vanilla.

4. Not sure.

5. Rogue - Bard so far.
    This passion is a plagiarism.

If you hurry you can pick it up from Amazon for $6 w/ 30 days of gametime... You just have to enter a subscription method before you are able to play! (It wont charge until your month is up).
    http://www.amazon.com/Trion-Worlds-4...3983922&sr=8-1

Also, I'd level to 20 first on the trial then add your gamecode... That way you can get the most out of your time.

I'm only level 30 on my cleric because I've only been able to play for about an hour a night due to school, but overall the leveling isn't too bad. I enjoyed the story through stonefield quiet a bit, but it is still questing :P

You can do dungeons and PVP though for alternatives methods if you just absolutely can't stand questing.

For $6, I'd say this game is definitely worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Fencers summed it up nicely, I don't know who told you leveling was a grind, but they're very wrong.
    Well that answer is easy. It has questing, so they use the word grind because they do not have a wide vocabulary. SO they grind and people think "Aion" and it is beyond the opposite. They should be more accurate and say "less varied" or mostly quest based.

What they leave out is if you rush and just do dungeons you can hit 50 in 4 days....lol huge grind AMIRIGHT? What people seem to obviously forget is in Rift you are rewarded for exploring. So just go off the path a climb a mountain and you might find a zone puzzle, artifact, or hidden treasure chest.

They need to introduce fishing faster, so it gives people more of a reason to leave the beaten path. They are so brainwashed by WoW and TOR version of a completely dead world that the shit literally makes no sense to them.

re:

I just purchased it yesterday and I should be receiving my copy in the mail tomorrow or the next day as well (since I didn't feel like downloading 10 gigs since my connection isn't the fastest), I'm definitely looking forward to it after reading various posts and peoples thoughts on it! Lemme know if ya need a leveling partner