Single target DPS on target dummy much lower than my Elemental Shamans...

I can’t seem to figure out why my DPS on the raid target dummy is so much lower than my Ele Shamans. Both are equally geared with an average item level of 399, and I play both equally well. My Priest averages out around 25.5k over 4 minutes while my Shaman gets around 31.5k over the same amount of time. I start my rotation off by Mind Flaying 2 ticks x2, Pop Archangel, Mind Blast, Pop Shadowfiend, Mind Spike x3, Mind Flay until instant MB comes up, Mind Spike x3, Mind Flay until instant MB comes up, then continue our regular rotation (Vampiric Embrace, SW:P, Devouring Plague, Mind Flay filler, Mind Blast when off cooldown). My up time on Empowered Shadows and Dark Evangelism is close to 100% throughout the 4 minutes.

Below are the armory links for both of my characters. Any feedback would be appreciated.

http : // us . battle.net / wow / en / character / the-forgotten-coast / Zandalar / simple

http : // us . battle . net / wow / en / character / the-forgotten-coast / Telepathy / simple

(I still can't post links yet but maybe someone will be nice enough to post the above as hyperlinks)
    Last edited by Zandalar; 2012-04-09 at 09:46 PM.

maybe because spriests are more dependent on raid buffs (esp. DI) whereas the shaman has 2 or 3 buffs that he provides himself

Tip : you can put more spaces inbetween your link to make it more work for people to copy
    게임 은 어렵~~

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow priests are more dependent on raid buffs.
    www.mostlydead.enjin.com - We're recruiting!

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    maybe because spriests are more dependent on raid buffs (esp. DI) whereas the shaman has 2 or 3 buffs that he provides himself
    Does that mean my DPS is reliant on having a Warlock in the raid? What if my raid comp doesn't have one? Technically any class is going to greatly benefit from raid buffs and DI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your elemental shaman provides 5% haste, 5% crit, 10% spellpower by himself, while a shadowpriest only provides 5% haste by himself.
    {[( )]}

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zandalar View Post
    Does that mean my DPS is reliant on having a Warlock in the raid? What if my raid comp doesn't have one? Technically any class is going to greatly benefit from raid buffs and DI.
    Try doing DPS on your elemental shaman again, except this time - don't drop totems.

How much dps did you do?

Is that more comparable to your spriests dps?

Also spriest dps is harder than ele dps - so it should be lower for most people playing them, sorry but it's true. It's doubtful you're doing everything right, but without a log we can't help spare to stab at the dark and suggest things people commonly do wrong.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

It's just a bonus if you have one, but like previous posters have told you, Target Dummys are not giving us justice.
    Any class will benefit from raids buffs, only, your shaman is the one bringing them. A shadow Priest won't.

Quote Originally Posted by SkillOverKill View Post
    Try doing DPS on your elemental shaman again, except this time - don't drop totems.

How much dps did you do?

Is that more comparable to your spriests dps?

Also spriest dps is harder than ele dps - so it should be lower for most people playing them, sorry but it's true. It's doubtful you're doing everything right, but without a log we can't help spare to stab at the dark and suggest things people commonly do wrong.
    I agree that Spriests are generally harder to play, but in all honesty it's not very difficult to nail your single target rotation on a raid dummy. I can assure you I was doing everything correctly. In fact, I conducted several tests on both characters to lessen any room for error.

Please tell me there wasn't a warlock or shadow priest in your raid when you took that cunning on your shaman... If there was you need a swift kick in the dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiroth View Post
    Please tell me there wasn't a warlock or shadow priest in your raid when you took that cunning on your shaman... If there was you need a swift kick in the dick.
    Nope, I think it was just me and a Boomkin.

Deleted
    Well first of all it is not very smart to test your dps on a dummy in a city like Stormwind (don't know where Orgrimmar dummies are but it may very well be as populated in the nearby area) simply because of the server lag. Of course such server lag is going to hurt your dps more as a shadow priest seeing as you have to clip your mind flay casts well for a higher dps gain, in comparison to an elemental shaman where you queue up your spells
    Then again comparing shadow priest dummy dps to elemental shaman dps isnt really a clever move either.

I agree that Spriests are generally harder to play, but in all honesty it's not very difficult to nail your single target rotation on a raid dummy. I can assure you I was doing everything correctly. In fact, I conducted several tests on both characters to lessen any room for error.
    Looking alone at what you wrote in the opening post I see a few things you could change.
    And of course you aren't able to do the shadow priest rotation perfectly (even single target). If you could do that you would have more ranks on WoL with your current gear despite what kind of raids buffs you may lack in your 10man raid.

And it is no big secret that shadow priest single target has always been in the bottom during Cataclysm. Elemental shamans have as well since their set bonus nerf though.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    Well first of all it is not very smart to test your dps on a dummy in a city like Stormwind (don't know where Orgrimmar dummies are but it may very well be as populated in the nearby area) simply because of the server lag. Of course such server lag is going to hurt your dps more as a shadow priest seeing as you have to clip your mind flay casts well for a higher dps gain, in comparison to an elemental shaman where you queue up your spells
    Then again comparing shadow priest dummy dps to elemental shaman dps isnt really a clever move either.

Looking alone at what you wrote in the opening post I see a few things you could change.
    And of course you aren't able to do the shadow priest rotation perfectly (even single target). If you could do that you would have more ranks on WoL with your current gear despite what kind of raids buffs you may lack in your 10man raid.

And it is no big secret that shadow priest single target has always been in the bottom during Cataclysm. Elemental shamans have as well since their set bonus nerf though.
    I had to reread my original post to make sure I listed the rotation correctly, and sure enough I found a few typos/mistakes. It should start with Mind Flay 2 ticks x2, Pop Archangel, Mind Blast, Pop Shadowfiend, then Mind Spike x3, etc... Sorry about that.

I had to reread my original post to make sure I listed the rotation correctly, and sure enough I found a few typos/mistakes. It should start with Mind Flay 2 ticks x2, Pop Archangel, Mind Blast, Pop Shadowfiend, then Mind Spike x3, etc... Sorry about that.
    Put up SW:Pain first.