Deleted

DPS, Rotations, 5m Dungeons.

Hey guys.

I've played a Mage for 7 years and quit 3 months ago. I just got back with a SoR and decided to boost the class I always desired, a Priest. As such I reached 85 on saturday or friday and have been doing 5mans ever since.

I thought I was doing pretty well, until I got kicked out of several Dragon Soul 5mans today for not doing enough DPS for someone with my gear. I tend to average 15k mostly, and pull about 17-18k on most bosses.

Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...renicus/simple

I know my gear isn't ideal, it's still a work in progress. I use Mr. Robot to check my own Reforge instincts, and I won't enchant items I know I'll replace within a matter of days, if not hours. I also know my trinkets are horrendous, but the Valor one is coming this wednesday and I'm hoping for the Mannoroth drop. Got a Volcano lying in the bank, but not sure if I should use it or still sell it. It's going to get useless real fast, so selling sounds like the better option.

Now, what do I do?

-On packs with more than 3 I throw dots on one, then sear the others. Less than 3 I follow my single target priority.
    -Single target I start off with MF to get 5 stacks to activate Dark Archangel, then use my SF and continue to Mind Spike (x4) - Mind Blast. I do this twice. Then I follow that up with VP->DP->SW:P, MB and MF. I MF until my MB comes off cooldown, after which I clip my MF after the 3d tick (I assume it's the 3d, I use Quartz and it's the second indicator from the left). I refresh VB on about the last tick (or I try to) and I refresh DP when I'm casting a MB and DP is about to run out. When the mob/boss drops to 25% I usually keep up with this, but use SW: D on cooldown. I don't know if I should do the MS(4)-MB rotation followed by SW: D instead on these 5 man bosses, since they die rather quickly when under 25%.

Aside from my gear, what am I supposedly doing wrong?

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    that single target rotation is not optimal.

http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t124358-...Spell_Priority

if you're that worried about ds 5 man's then equip the volcano.

ask mr robot says volcano is better than either upgrade you're going for.
    Last edited by yazu777; 2012-04-09 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    Single target I start off with MF to get 5 stacks to activate Dark Archangel, then use my SF and continue to Mind Spike (x4) - Mind Blast. I do this twice. Then I follow that up with VP->DP->SW:P, MB and MF. I MF until my MB comes off cooldown, after which I clip my MF after the 3d tick (I assume it's the 3d, I use Quartz and it's the second indicator from the left). I refresh VB on about the last tick (or I try to) and I refresh DP when I'm casting a MB and DP is about to run out. When the mob/boss drops to 25% I usually keep up with this, but use SW: D on cooldown. I don't know if I should do the MS(4)-MB rotation followed by SW: D instead on these 5 man bosses, since they die rather quickly when under 25%.

Aside from my gear, what am I supposedly doing wrong?
    Perhaps you read another post out of context, but you should really only be worrying about the Archangel -> Shadowfiend -> Mind Spike/Blast rotation if you have the 4-piece set bonus from Tier 13, which gives you 3 orbs instantly whenever your Shadowfiend hits a target. The intention is to have every Mind Spike and Mind Blast consuming 3 orbs, which does MASSIVE damage if you align it properly with Archangel and trinkets. But outside of that, you're better off just getting a normal priority going.

SW:P and Mind Flay to proc an orb and get Evangelism to 5.
    Mind Blast.
    Vampiric Touch and Devouring Plague.
    Mind Blast on cooldown, Mind Flay filler, and refresh VT and DP if they're about to drop. That's about it man.

Deleted
    Thanks guys, I indeed read a thread not mentioning the T13 4p bonus. Gonna collect some more gear and see how my DPS scales from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    Thanks guys, I indeed read a thread not mentioning the T13 4p bonus. Gonna collect some more gear and see how my DPS scales from there.
    Also keep in mind, Shadow Priests are pretty dependent on buffs. Without Dark Intent and the Spell Damage debuff on bosses, our damage against a single target is mediocre. So if you're getting kicked for low dps, continue to do the best that you can to improve, but also remember that the people who kicked you likely don't understand Shadow Priest mechanics very well (or are just assholes).

well you only do mind spike (x2) then MB but without T13 4 set its actually not good to do that on bosses anyways its better to just use your dots, and for aoeing try to keep your mastery up because it increases your mind sear damage by a shit ton.

Deleted
    On trash packs you want to keep a high uptime on empowered shadows. You do this by having more than 2 shadow word: pains running. You also want to keep full uptime on vampiric touch on as many targets as possible and then mind blast and mind sear as filler. If you are not able to aoe choosing to keep full uptime on sw: p on all targets as well is a better idea. You do this by rotating mind flay, but still keeping mind blast on fairly strict cooldown, since you will be generating a lot of shadow orbs.
    Once there's around 6 targets or more you should only be mind searing (I dont have the math but 5 or 6 seems reasonable), but stil continue to keep full uptime on empowered shadows.
    It is also ideal to keep full uptime on dark evangelism. Tracking both these key buffs as well as shadow orbs will yield a big dps improvement.

And of course you should also be casting devouring plague and just keep full uptime on 1 target (unless of course you are going to aoe), because DP does in most cases have a higher DPET than VT.

Deleted
    Thanks again for the advice, time to try it all out.

Edit: Already seeing vast improvements, I'm averaging around 22k now
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2012-04-10 at 06:14 PM.