View Poll Results: Do You Like the Squad Idea?

Voters
170. This poll is closed
  • Yes

135 79.41%
  • No

10 5.88%
  • Abstain

25 14.71%
Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

How Do You Feel About Squads?

So they put up a little article on the 5th about squads and their use in-game. Feel free to read up on them here:

http://www.arena.net/blog/jordan-mas...e-squad-in-wvw

I don't know how I feel about them, to be honest. On the one hand, I think it's great that we've got a means to make a command structure. I will love being able to follow someone who knows what the hell they are doing and eventually be the guy that knows what he's doing. On the other hand, I'm not sure how I feel about the gold restriction. Personally, I think using the PvP currency (I can't remember the name right now) may have been better but gold will be easier to come across.

Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully it will simplify WvW cat herding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious796 View Post
    Personally, I think using the PvP currency (I can't remember the name right now) may have been better but gold will be easier to come across.

Thoughts?
    I would tend to agree .. in the article on squads that is posted on the blog, the reason it costs gold for squad leadership is because it's a good indicator that the player is serious/experienced.

Sure, gold restriction is a better indicator of seriousness and experience as than just being a high level. It is also quite doubtful players would purchase and cash gems to afford it, too.

But it hardly seems optimized - wouldn't PVP currency, or leadership/group achievements be a better unlocking method?

My 2c

I'm neither for nor against them. They're to open for my tastes.

I'd like to see a more controlled alternative though, where the commander can control who is invited and accepted. Perhaps have commander achievements to go along with it.

It's a pretty neat idea. I think with it will help the whole server community thing they are going for since it will help people figure out who the biggest and the better players are after a while. If you got a commander that is consistently winning battles with his squad, people will figure it out pretty quickly which will make his squad grow over time and have people tripping over themselves trying to join up with him. Kind of like how people flock to the best pvpers and pvers and eat up every word they say in various other games, except in gw2 we can actually literally flock to them.

I see the idea as being good, but the way of getting it maybe not so great... I sounds to me similar to raid leaders in WoW being able to use raid warning to have text pop up in the middle of the screen to be not easily missed... Obviously not the same but similar in function. I can see squads as being a useful tool but with potential to be abused.

All in all I am not against the idea but think having options like public quad/private squad so that if your in a large guild you can break down into groups easier in WvW via this system (in conjunction with other tools like VoIP obviously) to be able to more easily coordinate attacks on multiple keeps at once to get the defenders to be split in where they defend allowing the rest of the guild to go to the keep that the defenders leave more open...

I like public squads, don't get me wrong, but I think an option for private ones as well would be beneficial, heck private ones can cost more to obtain since it will mostly be larger guilds that would find a need for private ones. Because of this I am neither yes nor no, but rather in the middle depending on if they leave it as described or allow a few more options as well.

I'm honestly shocked there are no dissenting votes. I would have figured someone wouldn't like some part of it.

Deleted
    Do i like the squad idea. Yes.

It is a good idea its just the execution i am not liking. What if people troll in squad commander mode or what if the squad commander doesn't know where he or she is ment to be going and causes alot of confusion, even worse if one realm posts certain players to become squad commaders for there enemy in order to deploy an air of subterfuge. I guess that might sound fun but its bad play and makes big guilds seem like evil corporations....which acctually all big guilds are

The system itself is good. The squad leader chat is good.
    If anything, I'd like it to be harder to get it. Gold plus pvp currency.

Organized chaos? im in.

Quote Originally Posted by Galadhrim View Post
    Do i like the squad idea. Yes.

It is a good idea its just the execution i am not liking. What if people troll in squad commander mode or what if the squad commander doesn't know where he or she is ment to be going and causes alot of confusion, even worse if one realm posts certain players to become squad commaders for there enemy in order to deploy an air of subterfuge. I guess that might sound fun but its bad play and makes big guilds seem like evil corporations....which acctually all big guilds are

Well if the leader is clueless you can just leave the squad and join another or simply ignore him/her. The whole subterfuge thing seems like much more trouble than it's worth, as well, especially with no guaranteed payoff, neh?

The system sounds like it will be really good, but I'd like it to be more detailed so if a guild were using it maybe they want to set up some kind of Hierarchy so they could have officers/assistants to help the commander. This would allow the squad to split up easier and attack different areas if the squad was big enough.

Also the guys from Tales of Tyria had a good suggestion; they suggested there be a way to rate the commander that you are under, that way later you could see who are supposedly better leaders instead of joining others and hoping for the best.

Edit: I'd like it to be a little harder to become a commander also, maybe take part in so many successful keep/supply outpost assaults or defenses before the option becomes available to buy it.
    Last edited by zardon3001; 2012-04-10 at 02:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    hands down love it...the gold purchasing thing doesnt phase me at all really...to me if anything like they mentioned it'll deter casuals from assuming a leader position...leave it to the veterans. Thats not to say casuals can't be awesome...but they can be awesome while following an experienced leader.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious796 View Post
    Well if the leader is clueless you can just leave the squad and join another or simply ignore him/her. The whole subterfuge thing seems like much more trouble than it's worth, as well, especially with no guaranteed payoff, neh?
    It would be alot of hassle to pull ofF the subterfuge thing but wouldn't it be fantastically fun, it would bring in alot of depths to the war tactics of WvW.

Heres a video with some squad commander play in it. around 12th to 14th minute.

I'm kind of meh about it, but that's not really an option on the poll, heh. It's not something I'm that invested in. I'm just glad that it costs something instead of just randomly assigning it to people or an opt in.

Quote Originally Posted by zardon3001 View Post
    The system sounds like it will be really good, but I'd like it to be more detailed so if a guild were using it maybe they want to set up some kind of Hierarchy so they could have officers/assistants to help the commander. This would allow the squad to split up easier and attack different areas if the squad was big enough.

Also the guys from Tales of Tyria had a good suggestion; they suggested there be a way to rate the commander that you are under, that way later you could see who are supposedly better leaders instead of joining others and hoping for the best.

Edit: I'd like it to be a little harder to become a commander also, maybe take part in so many successful keep/supply outpost assaults or defenses before the option becomes available to buy it.
    Yeah, I love that ToT idea also. However, if a guild is going at it there's no real need for the squad - just use guild chat. You should be able to see where you guildmates are on the map anyway so I think that part is covered.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I read it as "How do you feel about squaids? (squirrel aids)" o.O Damn you Ray William Johnsson...

Anyway, I like it for the most part but I think that people should be able to talk in squad chat but the commander is the only one who sees the conversation as a whole. Like a personal "whisper channel" for the commander. The commander broadcasts to everybody, but everybody else only tells to the commander.

Deleted
    I like the system, but I don't like the acquisition. I would prefer if every participant could vote on who becomes a commander. And, of course, a limit on how many and how few there can be. For example, if a large guild would like to use a well-known and trusted strategist or someone with a military background as a commander, they should be able to appoint that one with enough votes, without having to struggle to find him among 500 other blots on the map because everyone can buy a commander position.

Sounds like a great idea

Since you can see the commanders on the map, I assume you can see their names. Therefore, you can whisper them (I would think) and handle it that way. Still, I think some level of open discussion should be possible throughout the squad. I still think it's a great idea but could use some tweaking (like being able to rate commanders).