10+ Year Old Account

When Harassment goes to far in wow.

I have always enjoyed the community here at MMO-Champion, The people here have worked hard to bring up to date news on whats going on in wow, and I have always enjoyed reading peoples thoughts here on the MMO forums, though I have always been a little shy about posting on forums in general. (I am more of a reader, and my spelling and grammar is not always the best lol)
    I recently decided I was going to quit WoW since there wasn't much fun in playing anymore, I was going to wait for D3 and GW2 to come out and give those a try, but I still frquently read the wow forums including the realm forums on the realms I use to play on. (I wont mention the realms names because I want to keep this as a general comment towards harassment in wow going to far).

A few days ago there was an incodent where two players were having a flame war with each other, I am still not sure what was going on to start it, but in ended with one of them getting a temporary ban from the forums and threads deleted, It was a reporting war i guess. Now after a persons thread got locked, he sent the person who was trolling the thread a PM on his guilds website. And that person decided to further carry on the flame war by posting a link to that PM on his guild recruitment thread, which in turn upset the person who sent the PM and so he reported that post (which makes sense given people shouldn't be posting stuff like that to begin with). well in the end the whole thread was deleted, then a new thread mocking the thread that was locked was created by one of the guild members of the guild that recruitment thread was for. (I know I am trying to be vaige on purpose since I do not want the party's involved to be known.) Now all this can be chalked up to normal trolling or BS that comes with heated emotions on the realm forums. But after that thread was deleted, and the person who posted the PM on their recruitment thread got a temporary ban, things seemed to be dieing down. A RL friend of mine runs a guild on that server, and she told me she had gotten a whisper from the person who was apart of that whole thing, telling her that she should view something and be warned about the guild that has been "harassing him" so she told him to go ahead and email what he wanted to show her. Anyways sorry for the long post I will cut to the chase. This player had sent an email to a few guild leaders he has been friends with on that server, and my friend forwarded it to me.

Now I am not a big fan of his either, I find him to be a egotistical and selfrightiouse with his opinions, but I was thrown back by the clips one of the members from that guild sent to him, I guess even some of their guild members didn't agree with what was going on. As much as I dislike his opinion I can't justify this being done to anyone.

On that guilds FB group page there was allot of upset people over the fact that one member got a temp ban (from the looks of it, it was his fault anyways)
    So they went on a campign to not only try and get him banned, suggesting that everyone in the guild report every post he makes, to making tickets lieing in hopes to get him banned. Now I can't link what was forwarded to other guild leaders on his friends list and in turn myself since i am new to posting here, and that may be a good thing, but going as far as trying to get someone into legal trouble is insain, all because someone got upset because they failed to get someone in trouble and in turn got in trouble themselves. A comment made was "I don't want him trolled because there is no point in that, I want him PUNISHED, he NEEDS to be punished!" I think that is a clear sign that its time to quit the game.

I just wanted to show just how far harassment can go in WoW. Please remember that it is just a game, that the people you play with are real yes, but you should never get this mad. it's this kind of thing that led me to quitting the game, but i felt that it had to be shared so people can see how far things are taken. you may not like the people that play this game, but thats what the /ignore option is for.

I thank everyone for their time, and hope to try and get myself more engaged in conversations in the future, hopfuly more upbeat from now on.

CC

Had to read through that twice, that was hard to follow.
    Yea, some people are assholes, but it's nothing new. Of course, I've no idea what that guy did to upset them in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    sorry I will work on that, it's hard to try and give as little detail as possable. but from the pics of the FB conversations, they just didn't like him and didn't agree with what he was saying, so they thought they would troll him, then got upset when they got reported and banned for a few days. it doesn't make sense to me.

So in a few days, the whole guild gets banned for false reporting. Good.

I'm just being honest here, not trying to troll. Everything you said just sounds like typical teenage drama.

Care to share the age range of this incident?

10+ Year Old Account
    not sure, but i would say between 25-30 from what the pics of that FB convo's looked like it wasn't kids, thats what is so stupid about this whole thing, I thought the same thing before the whole "trying to get him arrested" part came into play. am I allowed to share them here, not sure given the nature of the situation. but all in all people take the game way to far.

Deleted
    As a rule of thumb: if you post walls of text and you know that you aren't the best writer [neither am i ] always give a TL;DR version^^

On topic, nerds can be really annoying if they rage about something stupid and are anonymous

People take this game way too seriously, and it sounds like everybody involved needs to take a break. Here's to hoping they get temporarily banned for spamming GMs with false tickets and wasting everybody's time over someone's hurt feelings!
    Also, there's very little chance of someone getting into 'legal trouble' over this whole thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    well thank you for the advice, I will do that from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeina View Post
    So in a few days, the whole guild gets banned for false reporting. Good.
    Pretty much what this person said. GMs aren't dumb, they'll look at logs. If they're going to make stuff up and spam the GMs with false reporting, they're hurting themselves more than the people they're trying to hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't complicated. Harassment goes too far. There's no 'when' to it. If you're harassing someone, you've already stepped over the line. Kids, adults, it doesn't matter. There's no real good reason for it. The guild should get a suspension.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    This isn't complicated. Harassment goes too far. There's no 'when' to it. If you're harassing someone, you've already stepped over the line. Kids, adults, it doesn't matter. There's no real good reason for it. The guild should get a suspension.
    Yes this is true, I feel though this goes beyond the normal harassment though. I mean sure this guy may speak from his ...well you know, but really for an entire guild to band together to try and get him banned from the game, or even to try and get him arrested. well thats messed up. and from the SS of the conversations they had on their FB group page, one guy even created a ticket saying things like "He is stalking this poor young girl in RL because she is pritty and outspoken" I mean come on really?

so really I do agree with you that harassment is wrong ingeneral, but this I feel would go beyond the norm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting enough there has already been a thread posted on the wow forums about this situation where they are still trying to harass him.

us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4362518824

Now this I find disterbing, and what is wrong with the players of wow today, all this drama over someone not getting their way.

What started it all: (From what was sent to me by a friend, as well as others on the server)

i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s511/Crimsoncross3/Revolting1.png

i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s511/Crimsoncross3/rp7.png

i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s511/Crimsoncross3/rp8.png

This one being the so-called ticket sent into blizzard

i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s511/Crimsoncross3/Revolting6.png
    Last edited by Crimsoncross; 2012-04-10 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsoncross View Post
    I have always enjoyed the community here at MMO-Champion, The people here have worked hard to bring up to date news on whats going on in wow, and I have always enjoyed reading peoples thoughts here on the MMO forums, though I have always been a little shy about posting on forums in general. (I am more of a reader, and my spelling and grammar is not always the best lol)
    I recently decided I was going to quit WoW since there wasn't much fun in playing anymore, I was going to wait for D3 and GW2 to come out and give those a try, but I still frquently read the wow forums including the realm forums on the realms I use to play on. (I wont mention the realms names because I want to keep this as a general comment towards harassment in wow going to far).

A few days ago there was an incodent where two players were having a flame war with each other, I am still not sure what was going on to start it, but in ended with one of them getting a temporary ban from the forums and threads deleted, It was a reporting war i guess. Now after a persons thread got locked, he sent the person who was trolling the thread a PM on his guilds website. And that person decided to further carry on the flame war by posting a link to that PM on his guild recruitment thread, which in turn upset the person who sent the PM and so he reported that post (which makes sense given people shouldn't be posting stuff like that to begin with). well in the end the whole thread was deleted, then a new thread mocking the thread that was locked was created by one of the guild members of the guild that recruitment thread was for. (I know I am trying to be vaige on purpose since I do not want the party's involved to be known.) Now all this can be chalked up to normal trolling or BS that comes with heated emotions on the realm forums. But after that thread was deleted, and the person who posted the PM on their recruitment thread got a temporary ban, things seemed to be dieing down. A RL friend of mine runs a guild on that server, and she told me she had gotten a whisper from the person who was apart of that whole thing, telling her that she should view something and be warned about the guild that has been "harassing him" so she told him to go ahead and email what he wanted to show her. Anyways sorry for the long post I will cut to the chase. This player had sent an email to a few guild leaders he has been friends with on that server, and my friend forwarded it to me.

Now I am not a big fan of his either, I find him to be a egotistical and selfrightiouse with his opinions, but I was thrown back by the clips one of the members from that guild sent to him, I guess even some of their guild members didn't agree with what was going on. As much as I dislike his opinion I can't justify this being done to anyone.

On that guilds FB group page there was allot of upset people over the fact that one member got a temp ban (from the looks of it, it was his fault anyways)
    So they went on a campign to not only try and get him banned, suggesting that everyone in the guild report every post he makes, to making tickets lieing in hopes to get him banned. Now I can't link what was forwarded to other guild leaders on his friends list and in turn myself since i am new to posting here, and that may be a good thing, but going as far as trying to get someone into legal trouble is insain, all because someone got upset because they failed to get someone in trouble and in turn got in trouble themselves. A comment made was "I don't want him trolled because there is no point in that, I want him PUNISHED, he NEEDS to be punished!" I think that is a clear sign that its time to quit the game.

I just wanted to show just how far harassment can go in WoW. Please remember that it is just a game, that the people you play with are real yes, but you should never get this mad. it's this kind of thing that led me to quitting the game, but i felt that it had to be shared so people can see how far things are taken. you may not like the people that play this game, but thats what the /ignore option is for.

I thank everyone for their time, and hope to try and get myself more engaged in conversations in the future, hopfuly more upbeat from now on.

CC

From my experience people on WoW forums are really immature jerks. They get offended for the smallest little thing. All they are interested is sucking up to blizzard. I mean 90% of the posts on there have nothing related to the game itself. It is all /hug a blood elf or some random comment. I don't even bother posting on those forums anymore.