10+ Year Old Account

Quitting my gym membership, Should i buy bar and bench or something else?

So, I'm having to quit my gym membership within a week or two due to financial issues and i'd like to invest in some weight lifting equipment.

Would you suggest a Bench and bar or just a set of dumbbells? What can you do most exercises with? I usually just workout upper body while im at the gym.

Thanks in advance!

I bought a used Bowflex a year or so ago, not sure exactly what your price range is, but we only paid 150 or 200 US for it. Other than that, you can do more with dumbbells, but more often than not a bench and bar would be quite a bit cheaper. For dumbbells, you really only need 2 or 3 sets to do pretty much everything arms related in some way, shape, or form.

Whatever you decide to buy, just nothing Bowflex it is absolute cheap crap that won't last and costs more then it really should.

At the least, you should try to get some dumbbells. Go to craigslist or ebay or something. People sell it super cheap. It's not like this sort of thing has to be new. It just has to work.

That will give you a great base for starting. You can add other stuff later.

Quote Originally Posted by Cludo View Post
    So, I'm having to quit my gym membership within a week or two due to financial issues and i'd like to invest in some weight lifting equipment.

Would you suggest a Bench and bar or just a set of dumbbells? What can you do most exercises with? I usually just workout upper body while im at the gym.

Thanks in advance!
    A set of elastic bands. The set only costs me two months worth of gym membership. And they works!

10+ Year Old Account
    I currently have some dumbbells atm but their to light for me to work with, but i can do most of my workout routine just with dumbbells so i think ill but some heavier ones and a bench.

Thanks for the input guys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cludo View Post
    I currently have some dumbbells atm but their to light for me to work with, but i can do most of my workout routine just with dumbbells so i think ill but some heavier ones and a bench.

Thanks for the input guys.
    If you have room for a bench you should absolutely buy one. Also buy lower sized weights, e.g. 5KG only. That way you don't have separate weights for bench and bells and can reduce costs.

Squat rack ! When you can ;D
    you fill my lungs with sweetness & you fill my head with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    My girlfriend got me a bench over a year ago (i think she might have been hinting something?) and it's something i take for granted these days.

Really opens up a whole new range of lifts/exercises you can do. If you have room you should absolutely get one. Be sure you can afford dumbbells too and/or a bar.

I can't look up the exact model i bought right now, as i'm supposed to be working - but the brand i got is 'York Fitness', and it's fantastic. I live in the UK though, so if you live overseas i'm unsure on what to recommend!
    Kanx - Protection Warrior (Armory)

If you have the room the best piece of equipment to own is a power rack.

-Power rack
    -Flat Bench, or adjustable bench.
    -Barbell with weights.

It's all you really need..

10+ Year Old Account
    Pullup bar, Jump Rope, Dumbells and you can do most anything.

BUY ALL YOU SHIT USED never buy fucking iron new its not any better then 1000 year old iron for the love of god buy it used