General Questions about US Student Life

Hi, I'm going to the US for university this fall, and it'll be my first time in a western culture. I don't know what to expect, I guess I just want to know things about US student culture and lifestyle.

*What kind of clothes do you wear? I'm not used to a university that doesn't have a uniform. Are shorts and a tshirt okay? :S
    *How do people take it when strangers approach them? Are people open?
    *Is there anything I should bring with me (since I'm going to live there for a few years, a long way away from home) that I wouldn't normally think of? When you went to college was there something that you thought you desperately needed but you forgot?
    *How easy/hard is it to get a partime job?

And anything else really I should know to prepare me for US college... I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TSElliot View Post
    Hi, I'm going to the US for university this fall, and it'll be my first time in a western culture. I don't know what to expect, I guess I just want to know things about US student culture and lifestyle.

*What kind of clothes do you wear? I'm not used to a university that doesn't have a uniform. Are shorts and a tshirt okay? :S
    *Is there anything I should bring with me (since I'm going to live there for a few years, a long way away from home) that I wouldn't normally think of? When you went to college was there something that you thought you desperately needed but you forgot?

And anything else really I should know to prepare me for US college... I'd really appreciate it, thanks.
    Where are you from, yes it's relevant.

In order:

- Anything you want, so long as it covers your body in a reasonable way
    - Depends on the person, but I'd reserve that for people you're sitting next to in class
    - Make sure you have some money, and an electric water boiler for quick coffee in the morning
    - That depends on your view of yourself. A lot of students think they're above working fast food or something like that, so they're often jobless. If you're willing to work anywhere, you won't have trouble finding a job if you actually apply everywhere

As for anything else, don't underestimate classes. Professors like to start them off easy so people can get "warmed up", but lack of study habits will catch up around 2/3 of the way through. Unless you're pretty damn smart (this is assuming a technical degree), you should only be able to earn a 2.5-3.0 GPA (that's C average) if you don't have good study habits. Earning all A's or almost all A's is considerably more work and effort.

Also, if you can (most schools require an A in the subject), try to get a tutoring job. It's low-stress, easy money to do something that's actually useful.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2012-04-12 at 05:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not from the US, but I think stating where you are going to University might help.

10+ Year Old Account

Coming from another who came to the US from another country...
    Short and a t-shirt are usually ok. People in the US tend to wear shorts even during classes, and also tend to wear them much longer into the cold months than people do in other places. At the same time, as long as you don't go around in a suit or uniform, it isn't that out of place to go around in business casual or something similar
    Not even close to as open as what I was used to. People here tend to be much more individualistic, focusing their attention on themselves and their friends/families. In general I have to read people and decide how friendly they are before going up and talking to them. In general, they'll help as long as you don't ask them to go out of their way. Language is also a barrier; if you have a strong accent, talking to groups of people is more difficult, so try to find people alone or in small groups
    In terms of things I forgot? Momentos... there was a lot of heartache the first year I was here, and even now surrounded by things that pull me back, there's always that feeling that you're missing something somehow
    Getting a part time job is pretty hard, unless you work for your university. They tend to love giving aid to foreign students

**How do people take it when strangers approach them? Are people open?
    ***Is there anything I should bring with me (since I'm going to live there for a few years, a long way away from home) that I wouldn't normally think of? When you went to college was there something that you thought you desperately needed but you forgot?
    ****How easy/hard is it to get a partime job?

* Depending on the school, it's what ever you want, if not then they will tell you. Shorts and a t-shirt are fine depending on the weather.
    ** Depends on the person and the question. Asking where something is, is fine. Asking what their blood type is will get you some looks.
    *** Laptop, media player, and money.
    **** If you don't mind fast food or other service industry jobs then you'll find something in a reasonable amount of time.

Don't get drunk all the time or get lazy with your studies.

It really depends where you are going as well. Some universities are more friendly / have more things to do and opportunities near them. If you are going to Caltech is very different than NYU.
    Clothes run the gamut from flipflops and shorts to business casual, it just depends on your school. I assume that you are an undergrad, and if so the expectations are -generally- low. Dont wear a tie or a jacket.
    What will you miss? No idea. Where are you from? You can buy anything online.
    Getting a job for the university shouldn't be a problem at all, if your university is big. Ask at your department for research jobs open, they might not pay well, but you will get to know faculty.

People at my college seem open to helping strangers. I've had people ask for directions several times this semester. If someone ignores you or just says that they don't know as they keep walking, just let them go cause they're probably trying to get to class on time.

Try to get to class early the first few days to get the seat you want. Almost all classes have open seating, but if you sit in the same seat for a few classes straight from the beginning, generally people won't take your seat.

Eat before classes... You'll get bored and not pay attention if you're hungry.

Bring water or a drink with you to class unless it's a lab.

If you have a question, do NOT be afraid to ask a TA or professor whether it is in person or through email. Most are very open to helping you.

Keep ALL your papers with grades on them until after final grades have been posted. If there's a problem with your grade, you can dispute it.

Don't pick early classes if you're not going to get up in the morning... Even if you think, "I can do this, but it's going to suck." No. I've said that before and ended up missing a large chunk of classes. Luckily it was a joke class so it didn't matter too much.

1. Anything you want. I don't know of any university that requires a uniform. Blue jeans, t-shirt, whatever, go for it.

2. Depends where you are, who you are, who's approaching you, and everything. If you're talking about like, NYC, most people are used to strangers approaching them and are actually incredibly polite. Other areas will vary.

3. All I personally need is myself, my ID, my bank/credit cards, and my laptop. You may need adapters for anything that plugs in.

4. Easy, assuming you're willing to do anything. I'd start with your college, they probably have work-study programs if you need a job.