Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Thanks for all the stuff. Will be useful.

Too bad I have stuff to do for a research paper right now. Maybe I can get back to tribes after that.

Now to attempt a 300 mph juggernaut grab
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

How good is the Potential Energy perk? I'm curious how it'll do in combination with the raiders shield pack.

So, damage will done to my energy rather than my health. However with this it converts damage into energy, how good is it exactly? The shield pack seems to be around ~1k damage at full energy, so 1 energy = 10 health. How much does Potential Energy convert? I doubt it would be as much, but is it at least decent?

Hey guys,

after watching some Tribes Ascend videos I wanted to give it a try. Which class would you recommend to someone who hasn't played a FPS seriously since Duke Nukem 3D back in the 90's? I want to try not being a total burden to my team while I'm learning the ropes.

Also, what game mode is best to start with?

Thanks for the info!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Which class would you recommend
    Soldier. Though when I played the game last time its signature weapon, spinfusor, had to be unlocked. The game involves quite a lot of XP grinding.
    I guess you can always jump into a team deathmatch to work out your movement and aim, but this game is ALL ABOUT CTF. The sooner you start playing CTF maps the better.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Oh hello thread.

Since this is now on the first page, here's some shameless advertising. I recorded all this the day after that last patch that introduced all the fancy new weapon variants. This is the Brute's version. ^^

Also, a little super heavy lols action as well.

---------- Post added 2012-07-30 at 07:28 PM ----------

Hey guys,

after watching some Tribes Ascend videos I wanted to give it a try. Which class would you recommend to someone who hasn't played a FPS seriously since Duke Nukem 3D back in the 90's? I want to try not being a total burden to my team while I'm learning the ropes.

Thanks for the info!
    The game has a very high skill cap, and isn't friendly to new players even in the newbie bracket. I recommend juggernaut, and focusing mainly on indoors/generator fighting. That's typically the easiest job, and in pubs the generator is actually kind of relevant since no one clears the flag stands. Another possibility is the soldier, and Liking HiRez/Tribes Ascend (link on the launcher) on Facebook, and then receiving some gold. With that gold, buy the Spinfusor weapon. Soldier + Spinfusor is one of the easier combinations, and becomes really deadly when you get the Eagle Pistol.

Pathfinder, especially after the nitron nerf, isn't really that good for new players. Soldier is better for flag capping until you get Egocentric, x3 nitrons, and thrust packs. But even then, the soldier is still really viable since it has 400/500 more health. A 350 route on a soldier is like 800 health. For a pathfinder, they might get 400 but be at 200 health.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-07-30 at 11:30 PM.

Friendly reminder to not buy the soldier spinfuser. There are codes floating around on websites to get it for free. Somewhere in this thread I linked a few of them.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I played Soldier and Jugg for a few deathmatch rounds, then I tried a couple of CTF. I unlocked the technician and I think I'll be sticking with him for a while. Defending the flag and generator was a blast. I felt like I had a big responsibility laying down my turret and repairing facilities, it was awesome!

Since I'm liking the game so far I might get the Steam Starter pack, which gives a permanent +50% Xp bonus and a few unlocks. Does anyone advice against doing this?

Thanks for the tips guys.

I played Soldier and Jugg for a few deathmatch rounds, then I tried a couple of CTF. I unlocked the technician and I think I'll be sticking with him for a while. Defending the flag and generator was a blast. I felt like I had a big responsibility laying down my turret and repairing facilities, it was awesome!

Since I'm liking the game so far I might get the Steam Starter pack, which gives a permanent +50% Xp bonus and a few unlocks. Does anyone advice against doing this?
    Wish you woulda bought it during the steam sale, it was way cheap and the same rewards. But it really is a good deal, that 50% bonus alone is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by A Day to Remember View Post
    Wish you woulda bought it during the steam sale, it was way cheap and the same rewards. But it really is a good deal, that 50% bonus alone is awesome.
    Yeah I missed out on that But 19 euro is not much, still a good deal I think.

If you enjoy tech, I highly suggest unlocking the Thumper and sawed off Shotgun. A lot of people will tell you that you're a fool for dropping the repair tool, but the shotgun is fantastic for finishing off people in the air, which you'll be doing once you get out of the gen room and help defend the flag stand.

So this just happened...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    If you enjoy tech, I highly suggest unlocking the Thumper and sawed off Shotgun. A lot of people will tell you that you're a fool for dropping the repair tool, but the shotgun is fantastic for finishing off people in the air, which you'll be doing once you get out of the gen room and help defend the flag stand.
    Did they ever make Tech's repair tool any better than the ones you get from the little bins, or at least make his repair ability significantly better?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Did they ever make Tech's repair tool any better than the ones you get from the little bins, or at least make his repair ability significantly better?
    I believe the Technicians get the "Advanced" repair tool, which repairs a lot faster than the normal one. Then they can upgrade to the "long range" repair tool.

10+ Year Old Account
    What happened to this thread? Did everyone quit?

I finally got a computer that can run TA at decent framerates, and it's pretty freaking fantastic. Juggy is still definitely my favorite kit, and them giving him an LMG so he's not dogmeat for anyone that wants him while he's out and about is pretty great.

A quick flick through the forums seems that people are STILL whining about bullet weapons being overpowered.

---------- Post added 2012-12-09 at 05:27 AM ----------

I guess I lucked out because I bought the starter pack or whatever it was while the game was in beta so when I could finally play again, I had a pile of XP and gold waiting for me, let me unlock all classes and buy everything for Doomy and Juggy with plenty of gold left over for more, like 3000... I think I might unlock Raider stuff next since it seems like a fun class that isn't going to be as spammed as Tech seems to be (there are techs EVERYWHERE.)

Still not sure which weapon is best for Juggy... I'm not sure if I like the MIRV exploding in midair or not, it seems useful for raining hell on the flagstand but it seems weaker for blowing shit up or for killing players in duels/chases because it's so unlikely all of the pellets will hit a single target. Been using the deluxe mortar and it seems to work... the slight decrease in radius seems to be more positive than negative, especially with how much damage it deals (1400!)

Been using Safety 3rd for the extra Spinfusor Disc (way overpowered, you'd have to be stupid to choose the grenades over it) and Quick Draw so I can swap between weapons faster. Since Juggy has no non-mortar/explosive primary option, it feels like the LMG is about the only option you have for a secondary unless you need the spinfusors for disc jumping (but taking a spinfusor means you're basically useless against lights and decent mediums if they come to kick you out of your roost because you're pissing off the enemy Doomy.)

Honestly, I wish I could get the Brute's pistol. Holy shit that thing is fun.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    I´m still playing the game everyday, and its still one of the best fps games that have come out in many years.

I would recommend you use the 3rd mortar launcher (Fusion Mortar Deluxe) it does more damage and can fly much much farther than the original mortar, it does 1400 dmg on direct hit and its a BEAST to clear flag stands, since it will kill anyone except heavy´s on a flag stand and you can stand VERY far away and nuke the stand.
    The XL1 (LMG) is a must pretty much,

XL1 + Disks + Survivor perk + Safety Third + Fusion Mortar Deluxe
    This is my setup and its a fucking beast.

The only problem I have now in the game is that I´m stuck with insane amount of Xp since I already have everything that you can buy and they really need to push out more weapons so I can waist my XP :P
    Last edited by Torched; 2012-12-09 at 04:26 PM.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

This game would be 50x more popular if it wasnt as noob-friendly and accessible as a sledgehammer in the testes.

I'm not asking for it to be dumbed down, just for new players to have a way of knowing what the FUCK is going on.

And whose idea was it to have fairly small impact radiuses and low damage on many weapons when everyone youre hitting is moving faster then sonic on steroids? The game is just impossible to grasp cause you can't hit shit unless youre using explosives indoors...

And if anything I say proves i'm a noob, then yes, I am, and proud of it, because after playing for a week I barely had any more idea what I was doing then I did when I started, and I refuse to take 100% responsibility for that.

That said, anyone reading this, do give it a shot. Even if you hate it or throw your hands up in disgust like I did it's well worth it since it's free, and is a truly interesting game. Or would be if you ever had more then 5 seconds in a game at a time to work out what youre doing, why, and HOW TO HIT SOMETHING.

Edit: Okay. I'll admit that I last played this game over 3 months ago... has it drastically changed since then? Have the devs looked up the definition of a tutorial that teaches you more then the basics of movement?

And sorry for being snide. This game just dashed my hopes of having found a good, proper FPS with jetpacks... but twas not to be...
    Last edited by Migey; 2012-12-09 at 10:33 PM.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Also still playing it every day. Only a few hours of rank 46. I play almost exclusively Blitz on NA62/67. Usually as sniper, but I too like the Juggi w/ LMG, Mortar (original), Thrown discs, Safety Third, and Quick Draw. Soldier with Fuser/Spare Fuser/Quick Draw is also a ton of fun. I just got Slayer and 10 BPS in a game using that combo after someone complained I was a no skill sniper who couldn't disc

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    Okay. I'll admit that I last played this game over 3 months ago... has it drastically changed since then? Have the devs looked up the definition of a tutorial that teaches you more then the basics of movement?
    No changes to the tutorial, but the devs are doing a much better job of communicating with their fans through devblogs about potential upcoming changes. They just did a balancing patch. I agree they need to come out with some new weapons...
    Last edited by kumduh; 2012-12-10 at 01:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    noob-friendly and accessible
    a way of knowing what the FUCK is going on.
    And whose idea was it to have fairly small impact radiuses and low damage on many weapons when everyone youre hitting is moving faster then sonic on steroids? The game is just impossible to grasp cause you can't hit shit unless youre using explosives indoors...
    i'm a noob, then yes, I am, and proud of it
    after playing for a week I barely had any more idea what I was doing then I did when I started
    I refuse to take 100% responsibility for that.
    more then 5 seconds in a game at a time to work out what youre doing, why, and HOW TO HIT SOMETHING.
    This is truly horrifying to read in a Tribes thread. FPS is probably the easiest competitive genre to get into - you shoot people, and they die. Is it that hard for kids today? I understand that they might be used to hitscan weapons and snail paced modern military shooters, but c'mon. It doesn't take a week to realize that most of the weapons in T:A shoot projectiles, and having an enemy player in crosshair doesn't mean you'll hit him - you have to lead your targets. There IS a tutorial that explains movement basics like jetpacks and skiing, but having a tutorial for, like, every weapon in the game is ridiculous. You just have to play the game, try different classes for yourself. You get good by practicing - it's that simple.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

No, it's not.

I am not a fanboy of Call of Duty or even any major FPS, I don't play them too much, but I liked the diea of Tribes Ascend. It's not that im terrible at the shooter genre; while I'm not too into them I have played TF2, Halo, CoD, and a few other mainstream shooters, theyre just not my favourate.

Tribes Ascend is simply a very tough game to get into; there is a ton going on and very little of it is explained; I hadn't the faintest clue what the Generator did, or even that it existed, until a few days into me playing and still didn't understand a lot of what was going on when I quit. And it happens to be pretty fucking tough to hit things when many of your projectiles are not that big and every target moves ridiculously fast.

Of course if I had stuck, I would've gotten better, but I didnt want to. I wasn't enjoying it, not because it was a bad game, but because I didn't know what was happenign or why and I didn't want to stick with something I didn't enjoy until I did.

And when did I suggest having a tutorial for every single weapon? The mechanics of shooting are fine, it's actually doing it that can be hard, and that's not the main reason I quit anyway...
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

You CAN try every single weapon in Target Practice, and it has been that way for months.

They DO need to add a new tutorial for more advanced ski/jet mechanics. The current tutorial only gives you the most basic understanding for how they work: Right click to go up, spacebar to not move at walking pace. They don't tell you about directional jetting, or how jetting with none of the wasd pressed will give you more lift than if you just jet while holding down W. They don't tell you about disc jumping, which is probably the most essential mechanic in the game, and at the same time the one that new players aren't going to learn until it's told to them. I've played in a number of games recently where I was working on routes as path on an empty server, and eventually a few newbies maybe lvl 3-12 would join to play without 14 other people slaughtering them, They had NO IDEA how to move fast. The notion that they could trade health for speed seemed absurd, but once they figured it out they were going "I can't believe I'm finally able to get up to 160!" (lol)

Yes, people do need to figure things out for themselves, but a well implemented tutorial system can be a game's greatest asset. Hell, even if they added a few dedicated tutorial/FAQ servers that players could join (without having to search the server browser) where they could get help from higher level players, that would be a great step in the right direction.