Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I got it immediately once it launched (I used to play Tribes 1 A LOT) and this game is really good. Currently building the soldier up but then debating on Sentinel or Raider or Juggernaut.

Finally got some gametime on Raindance last night. Good stuff!

Deleted
    Rank =/= skill in this game.

If youre good enough, you can annihilate even the good gold ranked players with a simple fully upgraded light SF from the pathfinder.
    It's about timing, aiming and speed and I freaking love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewster925 View Post
    I got it immediately once it launched (I used to play Tribes 1 A LOT) and this game is really good. Currently building the soldier up but then debating on Sentinel or Raider or Juggernaut.
    If you're not content with the soldier I suggest the Raider over the other 2.

A vast majority of the sentinels out there are a waste of a spot on their team. Just ask yourself: Can I shoot a tiny spec moving across my screen at 200 sanics? If yes, then go ahead and unlock the class. If not, it will just be a waste of XP.

After playing nothing but Chase Pathfinder these past 2 months, I took a break and played Raider for about 2 weeks and found the NJ45 to be pretty amazing. If you're good with automatic weapons the Raider is the way to go for sure. I most recently rediscovered the soldier though while smurfing with a newb friend of mine, and I have to say, the soldier's spinfuser is pretty freaking amazing. If you haven't purchased the spinfuser yet, I posted a website a few posts back that has free upgrade codes.
    Last edited by kumduh; 2012-04-17 at 07:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    since the beta didnt impress me i doubt id continue if my beta account even transfered over shame i never got to use the fancy vehicles tho

Quote Originally Posted by Algor View Post
    Heh I tend to find as a newbie the only thing I can do is cap the flag. I for damn sure cant hit anything that flies with my disc-weapon.
    Haha be careful once you get out of the newbie servers, you'll get raged at by the "megapros" for having the audacity to touch their flag at anything less than 300 sanics.

I love me some Juggernaut. Have to get used to the arc on the mortar though, it's a lot less intuitive than the T1/T2 ones (it has a really steep, random, often-QQ'd-about dropoff in distance) and the bounce will annoy you to no end vs elevated base assets.

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    I most recently rediscovered the soldier though while smurfing with a newb friend of mine, and I have to say, the soldier's spinfuser is pretty freaking amazing. If you haven't purchased the spinfuser yet, I posted a website a few posts back that has free upgrade codes.
    Likewise, I've found the class to be incredibly meh since I started playing, had the lowest playtime on it until this week. Then I got a code for unlocking the spinfusor, tried it out for the lulz assuming I'd go back to Pathfinder for discfun, unlocked the Eagle pistol with gold, then quickly proceeded to max the rest of the class out with XP. Also worth noting that they are amazingly good in C&H. I think Raider is next on my "rediscover" list, as I've neglected him for some time now too.

Oh and a quick PSA to people trying to decide what to unlock: you can pick any item in training again to test it out. When you click things they'll still show as "locked" but when you exit the menu it will equip the item.

Test ALL the things! (before you buy)
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-04-17 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    since the beta didnt impress me i doubt id continue if my beta account even transfered over shame i never got to use the fancy vehicles tho
    Your beta account does transfer over, and you can test the vehicles out easily on the practice map with Bots if you like!

Spinfusor'ing a Pathfinder in mid-air on your first shot... That one perfect disc... The feeling is AMAZING!

If you're not content with the soldier I suggest the Raider over the other 2.

A vast majority of the sentinels out there are a waste of a spot on their team. Just ask yourself: Can I shoot a tiny spec moving across my screen at 200 sanics? If yes, then go ahead and unlock the class. If not, it will just be a waste of XP.

After playing nothing but Chase Pathfinder these past 2 months, I took a break and played Raider for about 2 weeks and found the NJ45 to be pretty amazing. If you're good with automatic weapons the Raider is the way to go for sure. I most recently rediscovered the soldier though while smurfing with a newb friend of mine, and I have to say, the soldier's spinfuser is pretty freaking amazing. If you haven't purchased the spinfuser yet, I posted a website a few posts back that has free upgrade codes.
    Oh don't get me wrong. I love the soldier. I am one upgrade away from fully upgrading his armor and his spinfuser is already finished. I look forward to getting his utility pack. I am just debating on which class to work on next. Technician also seems appealing. I normally play midfield defense with my soldier, but of course I go where I'm needed.

Oh don't get me wrong. I love the soldier. I am one upgrade away from fully upgrading his armor and his spinfuser is already finished. I look forward to getting his utility pack. I am just debating on which class to work on next. Technician also seems appealing. I normally play midfield defense with my soldier, but of course I go where I'm needed.
    Get perks. They carry over for other classes as well.

If you want to play midfield defense, you can easily do that as a Technician. The Tech Thumper easily rivals the Soldier's Spinfuser, and I much prefer the Sawed off Shotty over the pistol. A lot of Techs get stuck doing nothing but repairing all game, but you can be quite effective as a dueler in midfield.

If you want to play midfield defense, you can easily do that as a Technician. The Tech Thumper easily rivals the Soldier's Spinfuser, and I much prefer the Sawed off Shotty over the pistol. A lot of Techs get stuck doing nothing but repairing all game, but you can be quite effective as a dueler in midfield.
    That's not a bad idea. I'll have to try the Technician then. I was thinking the soldier with the upgraded utility pack may provide more survivability allowing me to cut off the other team's rushes and flag carriers for a longer period of time before I die/return to base; but having two turrets out along with a thumper could also be very nice.

It can work yeah, especially effective on a map like crossfire where turrets can get a lot of kills as well. On maps where your turrets are less useful though, a soldier would be more useful for midfield dueling, as it's easier to midair with spinfusor and the pistol absolutely tears heavies apart without having to get dangerously close, it's essentially a hitscan chaingun that just has to be reloaded. Also the extra 100 health from utility pack is a lifesafer, as it means you cant get 2 shot by spinfusor/thumber splash damage. And of course, the extra energy helps as well.

No doubt technician with thumber and shotgun is fun though, it's an incredibly powerful way to defend a base if you don't need to repair. I usually start out with repair tool as people like to destroy things in the beginning, and then swap to shotgun later on when they are upgraded and less likely to get destroyed.

I might unlock the technician pistol actually, as I've gotten to really like the eagle pistol and it's the only thing I'm missing(apart from useless items like phase rifle and smoke grenades) from having everything unlocked.
    Last edited by Fleckens; 2012-04-17 at 10:53 PM.

I still seem to be heavy attacker deep inside...

I used to play t1 and t2 and I was always the heavy attacker in clan matches (dunno when it turned from clans to guilds, but thats beside the point). I somehow seem to be using doombringer offensively, since to my understanding it should be the defence setup. I got myself the heavy bolt launcher and I find it much easier and fun to use than the chain gun. Should I manage to get inside enemy bases I can really do some damage in there and doing that is easy since I at least think I'm pro at skiing. I can block paths with force field and throw around mines (I think I got all the possible unlocks for those...). Heavy bolt launcher obliterates pretty much anything it hits in no time. In narrow pathways light armors and mediums blow themselves on mines and heavies move too slow to avoid bolt launcher.

I found that brute was just run in and throw grenades and hope you destroy something...at least I didn't learn play one better than that.

Juggernaut in my hands seem to be good only with mortar. In some maps I know spots and, if I aim at some part of the sky texture or any other key location, mortar will hit generally the correct area, but I find even juggs restricting. It still takes time and perhaps little adjustments to aim and can last maximum of the time my ammo lets unless I call down inventory station.

So...somehow to me the defensive heavy seems the best choice for attacking. There are just so many tools that the others lack. Am I doing something wrong...is there a proper way of doing things. I even tried getting myself that extra weight upgrade to be able to stand on flag. It doesn't help much when some light dude comes at me lightspeed and just the last moment shoots disk...it still seems to knock me off far enougn not to bump into me. This also destroys mines. Force field is destroyed or just dodged. So I just gave up and started attacking and suddenly I was doing just fine.

I played a lot during beta and got myself vip status too so I have already lot of stuff unlocked and stuff that is not will not take that long. Is there any better ways to attack with heavy than using the defensive setup? I mean attack like it means something. I don't want to sit far away and disk snipe turrets or something like that.
    Last edited by Morae; 2012-04-17 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    I still seem to be heavy attacker deep inside...

I used to play t1 and t2 and I was always the heavy attacker in clan matches (dunno when it turned from clans to guilds, but thats beside the point). I somehow seem to be using doombringer offensively, since to my understanding it should be the defence setup. I got myself the heavy bolt launcher and I find it much easier and fun to use than the chain gun. Should I manage to get inside enemy bases I can really do some damage in there and doing that is easy since I at least think I'm pro at skiing. I can block paths with force field and throw around mines (I think I got all the possible unlocks for those...). Heavy bolt launcher obliterates pretty much anything it hits in no time. In narrow pathways light armors and mediums blow themselves on mines and heavies move too slow to avoid bolt launcher.

I found that brute was just run in and throw grenades and hope you destroy something...at least I didn't learn play one better than that.

Juggernaut in my hands seem to be good only with mortar. In some maps I know spots and, if I aim at some part of the sky texture or any other key location, mortar will hit generally the correct area, but I find even juggs restricting. It still takes time and perhaps little adjustments to aim and can last maximum of the time my ammo lets unless I call down inventory station.

So...somehow to me the defensive heavy seems the best choice for attacking. There are just so many tools that the others lack. Am I doing something wrong...is there a proper way of doing things. I even tried getting myself that extra weight upgrade to be able to stand on flag. It doesn't help much when some light dude comes at me lightspeed and just the last moment shoots disk...it still seems to knock me off far enougn not to bump into me. This also destroys mines. Force field is destroyed or just dodged. So I just gave up and started attacking and suddenly I was doing just fine.

I played a lot during beta and got myself vip status too so I have already lot of stuff unlocked and stuff that is not will not take that long. Is there any better ways to attack with heavy than using the defensive setup? I mean attack like it means something. I don't want to sit far away and disk snipe turrets or something like that.
    The only thing that doombringer does better than brute and juggernaut on offense is by having the strongest automatic weapon in the game, if you're not even using that i don't get why you are not playing another class. Juggernaut indoor with fusion mortar+ap grenades+spinfusor is incredibly strong, as is mortar+lmg+spinfusor discs outdoors.

Brute ain't that great atm, but at least it got better grenades than doombringer as well as a secondary weapon that's useful for offensive(people who sit on hills just spamming missiles are the worst).

I really dislike the doombringer class, it's great when it's used like it's supposed to, but it's stupid when they just sit in midfield. And the worst is, if it's actually a good player it is incredibly hard to beat them 1v1 due to their chaingun, only a raider and juggernaut really stands a chance(lmg is not as strong as chaingun, but they can throw discs in between for some serious damage), and raider has to work harder than the doombringer as he have to use his shield well.

Btw for defense as doombringer, spread mines around the platform, not just on the flag, that way they can't shoot them all with a spinfusor shot, and don't just sit on the flag waiting for him, any good flag carrier is gonna shoot you a bit away and hover just above you avoiding your mines and you, use your jetpack to try and intercept him, with super heavy any flag carrier with decent speed will instantly die upon hitting you, it's such a good perk. And obviously place the forcefields so they block off the most used paths. Use your missile launcher to spot flag carriers, but in most cases unless you are certain you will get a shot off, you're better off swapping to chain gun and shooting at them. If they come in a straight line you can often kill them before they even reach you, the chaingun is so good.

Chain gun kills people all right... like really good, but if I wanted to just kill people I'd be playing brute most likely. What I want to do is disable enemy and force them have people concentrate stopping me. Lets say I lay a mine field inside enemy base...lets say generator room. Then perhaps close path to it with force field. It all delays repairing the generator when they have to first clear the mines that might even be behind the force field so they don't really just want to run trough. Heavy bolt launcher obliterates vehicles and all kinds of defenses.

Chain gun also run out of bullets even with upgrades quite damn fast. Its THE defence weapon as long as you have an inventory station or enough enemy corpses pile up around you (and they drop those ammo packs). For offence it is completely impractical. You are a sitting duck once you run out of bullets and this happens depending on your accuracy after several kills.

Point is that my aim is to win the match, not get highest kill count. That is best done by either sitting in your own base or sitting in your enemy base. If I'm indoors bolt launcher owns, but chain gun is better outside as defence.

As jugg I could shoot with mortar, but mortar isn't really a close range weapon. Disk is better for that, but if I wanted to disk stuff, I'd use brute. It is of course possible to shoot the ground and hope enemy cant move far enough from it.

I want to also point out I hate doombringers that sit somewhere and just try to missile everything...same goes for mindless chain gunning. Chain gun kills you, if you don't know how to move. From personal experience it is harder to hit people with it, if they move so that you have to move a lot and can't just slowly follow them with reticle. This means jumping above them and going side to side. Just something that they can't get more than a few bullets in while you can blast them away. I find doing something like sitting somewhere with chain gun like that somewhat stupid. It works for outside base defence, but thats it.

My time of each class used is like 40% pathfinder (since its awesome when I just want to disk stuff or when I'm passing time in death match) and 40% doombringer (i used to play each class more, but those nubmers are after they implemented the feature). Chain gunning takes skill away anyway. I personally feel like I kill more people with disks/bolts than with chain gun UNLESS they are stupid and make it easy for me to hit them. I just don't feel right playing tribes unless I have something that works like disk.

I'm here just trying to explain why I don't pick the other heavies for offence and why I feel like chain gun is restrictive. The other classes just don't feel like they work properly on the stuff I do.

What would you do, if you wanted to tie down enemies inside their base instead going after your flag or do something relevant? Doombringer seems to do that part just fine. I'm not good with stealthing around. Raiders work against generators and stuff, but at least I have trouble when there are people too. Brute kills people, but its slow with everything else. Jugg kills people from far away, but there are better choices when closer.
    Last edited by Morae; 2012-04-18 at 01:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    -Snip-
    The Juggernaut is EXTREMELY strong in an indoor fight, if you play it right when your attacking a generator you almost can´t even be killed if you have the survivalist perk that gives you HP and energy when you pick up packs that people drop when they die, I played just the juggernaut for 1 week and I got 9 Slayers medals (25 kills without dying) in that one week just assaulting a gen room. The mortar is ridiculous when it comes to small rooms and the AP grenades are nothing to joke about, Mortar-MK Spinfusor and AP grenades are not that special in an outdoor fight, but if you take the juggernaut indoors with the survivalist perk...... your pretty much immortal unless they bring in more heavies then you can handle, or they simply zerg you with 4+ med-heavy classes.

The Doombringer is a defence class used to defend the flag, its not made to attack enemy bases or defending the mid, I would not even think of going in a gen room with a Doombringer when I can bring a much stronger class for it (Juggernaut, Brute).

If you simply want to destroy the enemy base (turrets, force fields etc) then pick up a Raider with Jammer, that´s a class made for base clearing.

Ps. I only attack the gen room if the enemy team has 1 or 2 annoying Doombringers hogging their flag with their force field crap, but then again that´s pretty much in every single game.
    I let other people do there job in capping the flag. (Pathfinders)
    Last edited by Torched; 2012-04-18 at 02:24 AM.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Personally I'd use infiltrator with jackal as that weapon is amazing, but you said you don't like stealth so i would use juggernaut. Fusion mortar can force them into poor position where you can either hit them with an ap grenade or spinfusor shot. The jug spinfusor is a bit worse than the heavy crossbow, it got bigger aoe but hits for a bit less and reloads a bit slower, however having mortars and ap grenades beats mines or normal grenades. I honestly won't even count forcefields, they deal damage based on speed, a guy down in the generator will barely take damage from them, not to mention you won't be able to place more than one as you can't replenish the ammo without an inventory station.

Also jugs regen quicker, which is amazing for controlling the enemy generator. But really, shooting a mortar where somewhere is standing or going to stand can really ruin their position, making it easy to get hits with spinfusor, and combine that with AP grenades and it's very hard to survive for a light or medium class.

Also you say you don't care about killing people, but that's exactly what disrupting their base is about, you can't let them repair stuff and get their defenses back up. Also brute is arguably the best class for delaying people, as fractal grenades can shut down a large area for a decent amount of time. And it's the same for juggernauts, spamming mortars at the entrance/exit is really effective.

And about the chain gun, obviously it's harder to hit a moving target, but the fact that doombringers are so tanky and that the weapon doesn't have to be reload makes it pretty easy to use, and if things go bad you just run away and keep shooting, it's very very hard to win with explosive weapons against someone who runs away while firing at you with an automatic weapon, as most shots you land on him will just speed him up further. Obviously you should just not chase, as they aren't being that useful anyway, but those guys just really annoy me as i usually play soldier with spinfusor and eagle pistol, as constantly having rocket warnings or chain guns being fired at me makes my job a lot harder.

I might try the jugg thing with the perks and stuff. I don't have the survivalist perk yet, but shouldn't be a problem. I think I didn't go the jugg path since at least during beta there were several maps (i havent recently bumbed into some of these...are they gone?) where rooms in bases were large (and thus defenders could move around easier and it was really hard to do anything with disk or mortar) and in some maps generator was positioned such that, it was actually hard to hit it with not immediately exploding stuff like mortar even if you stood next to it.

The point with the forcefield is that they have to stop shoot it, if you put mines behind them. They try to walk trough *boom*. They have to stand there doing nothing relevant while i have short moment to decide what I do. If they just come trough and survive they are usually easy targets or low health.

Oh and dont misunderstand me. I do like killing the enemies and I care about it, but if thats ALL i do I'd be wasting time. If its done with combination of base harrasment or something else, its absolutely fine and encouraged.

Don't hate on the offensive BoltBringer if you've never had to face it. On Drydock especially, they are pretty beastly at holding the gen room. Juggernaut is just the more obvious pick, but not necessarily more effective.