Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crabmousse View Post
    perhaps I am short-sighted but I'm just not willing to accept that legislation will ever make a genuine change. take the emancipation proclamation, or the civil rights movement in America; these brought about amazing change but also a particularly defensive attitude in white America which seems to have solidified racism on a fundamental level in their society.
    And now the thread is going to be about comparing the proclamation and gender inequality. I think we're done here.

10+ Year Old Account
    and I'm sure you prefer it that way so you can continue to complain how hard it is to be a white, western male. my heart bleeds.
    Cool projection there.

Never punish individuals for things they cannot control. It's not their fault they benefit. Hell. I'm a bisexual black dude with a severe disability. I dont ask for aid from others who had no part in my situation. Just stop being sensitive to non issues. Attack those who are actively attacking women in the middle east and Africa.

We have to learn together, and "positive" discrimination is still discrimination.

http://www.aswedeingermany.de/60Misc/50Privilege.html

Read this if you aren't blind to logical arguments. Otherwise you will continue to be hateful and self confirming

I have not demonised anyone posting here, don't be so lazy and talk to me.
    I disagree with your opinion that this line was sexist. But, because I am male, you brush that off as me being simply incapable of recognizing or understanding sexism.

You are a bigot.

Alright guys, I have a request. Can we keep the tone down to a reasonable level? I don't want to see this thread get locked over a few hot headed comments. Would be much appreciated.

so much butthurt in this thread
    I am Dave ! Yognaught, and I have the balls!

Deleted
    Was there even any outrage about it? I didn't see any.

I'm just asking since it's so common these days to assume any change one dislikes was due to a "vocal minority moral panic", since it's a very convenient strawman to draw when you want to look oppressed. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, I'm just asking if there even were any complaints about it. I didn't see them, but I could have missed them.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Cool projection there.

Never punish individuals for things they cannot control. It's not their fault they benefit. Hell. I'm a bisexual black dude with a severe disability. I dont ask for aid from others who had no part in my situation. Just stop being sensitive to non issues. Attack those who are actively attacking women in the middle east and Africa.

We have to learn together, and "positive" discrimination is still discrimination.

http://www.aswedeingermany.de/60Misc/50Privilege.html

Read this if you aren't blind to logical arguments. Otherwise you will continue to be hateful and self confirming
    Sir, I love you. You are a hero.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thundercles View Post
    I disagree with your opinion that this line was sexist. But, because I am male, you brush that off as me being simply incapable of recognizing or understanding sexism.

You are a bigot.
    A bigot of the worst kind. One who hides behind the silhouette of a victim.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    Not when it comes from selectively ignoring factual evidence. Then it's called a delusion.

Bullshit. You can't lump me into target group you hate, and then retroactively make the boo-boo go away with an invitation to the "entitled victims" club. Everything I got today I earned in SPITE of being a white male, not because of it. That's the fact, whether it fits into your childish little worldview or not. Your average white male has a LOT more in common with me than with Gordon Gecko, despite your idea that all WASPy men are ultra-rich, evil, Banker-barons.

No, but it does involve equality issues, and THAT makes it relevant. Stop trying to marginalize a case that is 180 degrees from what you wrongfully assume is the norm.
    I am ignoring no factual evidence, this is an idealogical and subjective discussion. I am not making any kind of 180, 'white western man' has a weight and connotations based on the majority position. classism is a different subject, whether you choose to belief I apply a class value to 'white western man' or not is irrelevant to me, but do you really think I would be so vigorously anti-sexist and anti-racist but also be casually classist? there is poverty and social degredation of the worst kind where I come from, I am not so naive that I think it's a kind of priveledge. take it or leave it, it's not relevant to this discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    Alright guys, I have a request. Can we keep the tone down to a reasonable level? I don't want to see this thread get locked over a few hot headed comments. Would be much appreciated.
    agreed this is about Ji, not your worldview. Take those arguments elsewhere please.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    We all know about that one infamous line of his. "Wow you are some kind of gorgeous aren't you? I can tell we are going to be good friends!".

Well because a few people for some odd reason got offended at being flirted with by an NPC, Blizzard took that unique npc and nerfed him down to be just like the other stale NPC's. He now says "You seem poised and ready. I can tell we are going to be good friends."

Sorry but that just seems wrong to me. NPC's need to have more life to them. They need to stand out in the world. Ji no longer stands out. He is just another questgiver with almost no personality. It's shameful that they would listen to a few people who were offended over nothing to change him like that.
    How did changing one line remove the rest of his personality?

Frankly, I was kind of Embarassed by Ji initially, I certainly wouldn't have wanted that to be the first thing the Horde representative Pandaren said, it was a bit forward.

He hasn't stopped being flirtatious or impulsive in the rest of his dialogue or quests, he's still the same character.
    Twas brillig

So, who thinks there would be no complaints if Thrall was hitting on every guy that passed by?

What I saw was not people complaining about it being sexist, but about the dialogue feeling a bit creepy (in no small part because of poor writing). Would it make anyone quit? Probably not, but that doesn't mean leaving the dialogue intact would have been a good choice. Much like having an ugly tier set. Wouldn't make anyone quit, but wouldn't be optimal.

perhaps I am short-sighted but I'm just not willing to accept that legislation will ever make a genuine change.
    People love the law. Giving women the legal right to vote alone brought forth massive changes in the society.
    Both women and men, black and white, are discriminated in various areas of life. This will not change during our lifetime. Things like this take a long time to change. They are like seeds planted in the people that need to grow.

We need to give each other equal possibilities as individuals, not fight each other. You seem to be treating men in general as enemies. That is a point of view that I do not understand.

take the emancipation proclamation, or the civil rights movement in America; these brought about amazing change but also a particularly defensive attitude in white America which seems to have solidified racism on a fundamental level in their society.
    Part of the people are always against change. That doesn't stop it from happening.

I will no longer be taking part in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    But clearly you don't care about the non-white racism in our country? Oh that's right, that doesn't exist does it...
    sure it does. is it particular brand of racism that requires the most immediate action? not if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aciaedius View Post
    Was there even any outrage about it? I didn't see any.

I'm just asking since it's so common these days to assume any change one dislikes was due to a "vocal minority moral panic", since it's a very convenient strawman to draw when you want to look oppressed. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, I'm just asking if there even were any complaints about it. I didn't see them, but I could have missed them.
    I doubt there was outrage, but there was a bit of a fuss made about it. This is the first thread I saw (don't know if there were more as I don't go to the official forums much anymore):

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4253904851

I just wanted to jump in and thank you to the people who DO get why this change is pretty rad, and why it doesn't really change Ji's character. Thank you Crabmousse, btw, for being a cool person.

Also thanks for all the MMOC people who think I'm awful!

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post

Where was the uproar over that? Why does the poor pandaman get discriminated against?
    Because he's the effective 'faction leader' of Horde pandaren, a representative, rather than a one off questgiver.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    So, who thinks there would be no complaints if Thrall was hitting on every guy that passed by?

What I saw was not people complaining about it being sexist, but about the dialogue feeling a bit creepy (in no small part because of poor writing). Would it make anyone quit? Probably not, but that doesn't mean leaving the dialogue intact would have been a good choice. Much like having an ugly tier set. Wouldn't make anyone quit, but wouldn't be optimal.
    Hrrm maybe he's supposed to be a "creepy" type cause he doesn't know better? Cause that's what i picked up on with his conversations with Aysa and his dialogue about her to you. Let the 'creepy' panda do his thing, it's his personality and at the end of the day it hurts no one but gives everyone something silly to grin about. Its a game people, let it have some flavor.

what source is there that catalogues the changing cultural attitudes of society over a number of centuries, short of history books and anecdotal knowledge? I don't have a source for 'the sky is blue' but I can say it with confidence.
    Sky being blue is common knowledge.

positive discrimination I guess does resemble an idealogical eye for an eye. however, it's been proven the only effective means of pushing society towards equality. if you have an alternative I'm all ears.

Your assertion that "positive discrimination" is the only effective means of pushing societies towards equality is not common knowledge, is highly disputable, and is going to require an expert source who has themself analyzed the historical trends to come to a conclusion that is devoid of the influence of anecdotal experience.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by thundercles View Post

You are a bigot.
    at what point in your post do you make an arugment to disagree that the line is sexist? I am male, how can I brush you off as being incapable of recognising sexism, but do it myself? I am a bigot yeah, I have an intense dislike to societal groups who propagate inequality. I am aware of the irony, I have accepted it. I'm willing to be a bad person for what I consider to be a greater good.