Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    I'm surprised someone actually could find that line of text offensive in any possible way. If someone actually considered that sexist, I'm really baffled.

I'm all for changing things that needed changing for some reason. While mostly insignificant, I find changing that character's text quite... pointless. It wasn't remotely offensive.
    Well you see Adramelech...you're approaching it logically and without bias. That's why you can't see the problem.

I've got a quote, care of S. M. Stirling, that seems appropriate here.

There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is 'idiot'.
    The whole outrage over this one line of dialogue was ridiculous to begin with. Writers can create a character who is unsavory in any number of ways without themselves being unsavory. Accusing Blizzard of being sexist because they create a sexist character is totally absurd, but that is what happened, and it is what they caved against.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Theralions original voice.

A week later it was forgotten.
    No, some of us still remember when Blizzard shoved poor Theralion back in the closet and made him Generic Dragon #36904-B.... >.>;;;

Quote Originally Posted by Ellsian View Post
    I'm very disappointed in Blizzard for changing it. Someone should start new thread demanding every flirtatious NPC and line changed now.
    I'm of a mind WE need to demand it put back in.
    NOT because the words them selves mean anything but the fact that the QQ over stupid shit like that made Cata like a bi-polar experience.
    We need to demand it back just on general pourpose, and fuck the vocal minority.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by raodin View Post
    The whole outrage over this one line of dialogue was ridiculous to begin with. Writers can create a character who is unsavory in any number of ways without themselves being unsavory. Accusing Blizzard of being sexist because they create a sexist character is totally absurd, but that is what happened, and it is what they caved against.
    The perfect response. By Aislinana's logic:

-J.R.R. Tolkien is the most evil being ever to have existed because he conjured up Sauron.
    -George Lucas is pretty evil for having created the character of Darth Vader
    -Charlotte Bronte is pretty evil too for having created the character of Brocklehurst

And so on, and so forth...
    Last edited by Austilias; 2012-04-12 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskobar View Post
    I love it when a bunch of guys get together and decide what women should feel or think about issues that only affect them. 90% of the guys here must be from arizona.
    Not everyone posting in this thread AGAINST the change to the NPC's comments is a man. I am a woman and I am very much against the change to his comments. And not only am I NOT offended by a man hitting on me, I APPRECIATE compliments from men. Oh and yeah, I am from Arizona, thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    I wasn't going to reply to this thread because... well it got really messy really fast. but I looked at this link just out of interest and to see if I would learn something new. holy crap. that is the most blinkered, bias and lopsided thing I've ever read. equating being a German in Sweden to being the victim of ethnic cleansing in other countries? implying there is no racism in the USA because of Barack Obama, Will Smith and Tiger Woods? come on man, even you must realise that is dangerously naive.
    When I started the thread, I didn't intend for it to get messy. I hope people can get things back on track though.

I hate polictical correctness

WoW is a dynamic world and there must be all sorts of people in that world with unacceptable traits ie sexists, racists, homophobics etc

seriously not every NPC has to be PC giving them human traits no matter how deplorable gives them character and makes them interesting and fun

This is a bad move and i guess soon that goblin in the stranglethorn vale zepplin wont be flirting with me anymore

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzykizzy View Post
    The person that made the thread is a woman, I'm a woman and I think its a ridiculous change too. So ..yeah.
    Have you not read the last few pages? The amount of people claiming they are the ones that decide what offends you or not, how they are disgusted by women who feel offended? This thread stopped being about an NPC on the first page.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    It's an NPC. A single NPC who is there for about 3 hours and then is nothing more than a class trainer you talk to at level 30.
    Why is it such a big deal if one line of flavor text over half the playerbase ignores is hitting on you?
    If it's so non important, how come you care so much? Or is the npc only irrelevant for those with a different view then yours?

Anyway I really could care less, I don't play horde so I'll never meet the dude, but if people felt offended, and someone at Blizzard quality control agreed, who are we to become moral judges? If it's just a game and not relevant at all, how come one side of this discussion can feel so offended, disgusted and in disbelief, but the other side does not have that right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitlovin View Post
    Every dollar counts when you are in the business of selling product.
    Maybe there is a non-vocal majority that actually liked the previous line much much better, and now dislike the game more because of it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Theralions original voice.

A week later it was forgotten.
    OMG it was FABULOUS!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    When I started the thread, I didn't intend for it to get messy. I hope people can get things back on track though.
    it's an interesting discussion at least, it didn't get too out of hand and no mod shut it down. some pretty extreme viewpoints, I can see both sides. from my perspective at least, I can see why a woman who has dealt with sexism might find it a little tiresome and insulting, but there's never going to be a weird asexual hybrid race of humans who are exactly alike; men will always be like Ji Firepaw.

I wasn't going to reply to this thread because... well it got really messy really fast. but I looked at this link just out of interest and to see if I would learn something new. holy crap. that is the most blinkered, bias and lopsided thing I've ever read. equating being a German in Sweden to being the victim of ethnic cleansing in other countries? implying there is no racism in the USA because of Barack Obama, Will Smith and Tiger Woods? come on man, even you must realise that is dangerously naive.
    I'd have to agree there, I dearly hope anyone who reads that article is aware of the obvious agenda it's trying to push.
    Scrolling to the bottom I saw the author try to make the point that domestic violence is more often perpetrated by women than men, completely ignoring that male domestic violence is often horrendously extreme in comparison to the more common, but far more trivial cases of female domestic violence.

it's an interesting discussion at least, it didn't get too out of hand and no mod shut it down. some pretty extreme viewpoints, I can see both sides. from my perspective at least, I can see why a woman who has dealt with sexism might find it a little tiresome and insulting, but there's never going to be a weird asexual hybrid race of humans who are exactly alike; men will always be like Ji Firepaw.
    It's not like Blizzard bombards the player base with sexism; this was one instance, but compromise is a foreign concept to some, it's either "No sexism!" or "Down with Blizzard!", and i'm sure Blizzard is facepalming just as much as any other sensible person at the outrage regarding this character.

10+ Year Old Account
    SOME men. Don't make unfair generalizations, that's what this whole fracas is about, fundamentally.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

No he never sad there was no racism, he was simply countering the view that There was no opportunity, if there was no Opportunity whatsoever for blacks in America then these people could not be in the positions they are in.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    It's not like Blizzard bombards the player base with sexism; this was one instance, but compromise is a foreign concept to some, it's either "No sexism!" or "Down with Blizzard!", and i'm sure Blizzard is facepalming just as much as any other sensible person at the outrage regarding this character.
    true, but if some poor girl had problems at work for example, or even a worst past of sexual violence against her, you could understand why she might be sensitive about it right? she has a right to voice her displeasure, Blizzard obviously deemed her point valid and sided with her. it's not as if they risked controversy by keeping it in, they decided to err on the side of caution which is fine with me.

It was a poorly written piece of dialogue that should have been redone. It's as simple as that. If you're attempting to make a cool, flirtatious character, you don't want to write him like a twelve year old making his first attempt at picking up girls, which is how he came across. The fact that they didn't remove any of the rest of his flirting is proof that this wasn't about feminism or being prude. (Though it has brought out some seriously misplaced and irrational hatred it seems.) It's about a piece of dialogue that didn't do the job that was intended. If it was really about sexism, his character would have been rewritten. Instead, just a single poorly crafted paragraph was redone.

If you were reading a book about James Bond, the classic cool dude with a thing for the ladies, and you came upon "Hey, sweetness, you're looking really cute tonight," the removal of that sentence wouldn't be about making Bond less flirty, but about making him not seem lame when doing it.

Deleted
    Some men will be, yeah. But so will some women.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    No he never sad there was no racism, he was simply countering the view that There was no opportunity, if there was no Opportunity whatsoever for blacks in America then these people could not be in the positions they are in.
    he said plenty of stupid, lopsided things. that link was horribly written and horribly one-sided.