Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    if some poor girl had problems at work for example, or even a worst past of sexual violence against her, you could understand why she might be sensitive about it right? she has a right to voice her displeasure, Blizzard obviously deemed her point valid and sided with her. it's not as if they risked controversy by keeping it in, they decided to err on the side of caution which is fine with me.
    Maturity and realizing that other people's feelings matter has no place here.

I'll be honest, I thought it was kinda cute. It's sad it's been changed, but it's not the end of the world... of warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    true, but if some poor girl had problems at work for example, or even a worst past of sexual violence against her, you could understand why she might be sensitive about it right? she has a right to voice her displeasure, Blizzard obviously deemed her point valid and sided with her. it's not as if they risked controversy by keeping it in, they decided to err on the side of caution which is fine with me.
    People have suffered grievances and deaths too; loved ones murdered or killed in foreign conflicts, does that mean we should take the war and death out of warcraft?

Does that mean this situation should be any different?

I'd posit a resolute 'no'.

Deleted
    Blizzard seems intent on eliminating all possible kinds of personality from their characters recently. Sure that guy was creepy, but guess what - it was part of his personality. Now he's another bland, emotionless, faceless NPC. Eugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    That's complete hyperbole and I think you know it. This was exactly my point; that it's an incredibly minor change that shouldn't censor or alter the meaning of the character in any way if the writers know what they're doing.

There's a difference between compromising artistic vision and tweaking a loose screw that looks a bit off. Blowing it out of proportion on both sides of the argument isn't going to help.
    Hyperbolic exaggeration was my intent, because I think anyone who confounded developers/characters/players is on a slippery slope. It's a very, very short walk from "that line is out of place" to "that character is out of place", because that one line is in-line with the character.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    People have suffered grievances and deaths too; loved ones murdered or killed in foreign conflicts, does that mean we should take the war and death out of warcraft?

People have had families killed by drinking or drunk drivers. People have family members addicted to every form of medication you can think of.

Do they want "buff food" and alcohol removed from WoW?

I echo Alenarien's resolute 'no'.

---------- Post added 2012-04-12 at 12:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arridor View Post
    Blizzard seems intent on eliminating all possible kinds of personality from their characters recently. Sure that guy was creepy, but guess what - it was part of his personality. Now he's another bland, emotionless, faceless NPC. Eugh.
    I honestly loved Ji's progression even in that short zone. He went from being a womanizing brawler (reminds me of Han Solo) to being implied to love Aysa.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

That will be patch 5.1

"We've decided that all of the violence and killing over the past 7 years is offensive to too many people. So the war between the Horde and Alliance is officially over. The next big raid will be Around the Campfire. Players of both factions will join hands and sing kumbaya."

Maturity is realizing that not the entire world needs to bend because something boo-hoo-horrible has happened to you. Life goes on, nothing changes.
    Yes, part of maturity is realizing that when you cause someone pain or anxiety, even if you don't understand why, and you gain virtually nothing for doing so, you should opt to stop. I'm sure that, though you may not realize it, some things that you're afraid of or that bother you seem stupid to other people. That doesn't mean that your feelings aren't valid.

Deleted

well that's a reasonable point, but of course someone who is genuinely haunted by war would stay away from a game called World of Warcraft, there's no allusion to mild sexism in the game's title. thankfully, Blizzard is a company who listens to their playerbase, and they obviously figured the negatives of that one sentence outweighed the positives. I really don't see what harm there is being sensitive to someone's feelings.

quick edit - why not keep the line in, and have him later apologise to female players for his earlier attitude? have him learn something, everyone wins.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    Yes, part of maturity is realizing that when you cause someone pain or anxiety, even if you don't understand why, and you gain virtually nothing for doing so, you should opt to stop. I'm sure that, though you may not realize it, some things that you're afraid of or that bother you seem stupid to other people. That doesn't mean that your feelings aren't valid.
    I'm afraid of spiders, should I petition Blizz to remove them from the game?

Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    Blizzard obviously deemed her point valid and sided with her. it's not as if they risked controversy by keeping it in, they decided to err on the side of caution which is fine with me.
    All that's obvious is that this fracas has caused them to remove the line. That doesn't mean they agree with her. That means they have better things to do with their time and resources than argue this point so they simply removed it.

Were you people also on the bandwagon when it rolled through proclaiming that Blizz was racist due to "Worgen spelled backwards" and "dropping watermelons?"

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    People have had families killed by drinking or drunk drivers. People have family members addicted to every form of medication you can think of.

Do they want "buff food" and alcohol removed from WoW?

I echo Alenarien's resolute 'no'.

---------- Post added 2012-04-12 at 12:50 PM ----------

I honestly loved Ji's progression even in that short zone. He went from being a womanizing brawler (reminds me of Han Solo) to being implied to love Aysa.
    And lets not forget. Garrosh's own men dropped the equivalent of the atom bomb on a school of kids. And Blizzard has hinted that Garrosh himself is going to order some war crimes things during pandaria's storyline which will lead to both factions turning and taking him out. There's going to be some really disturbing things in Pandaria I predict. And I don't think "You are some kind of gorgeous huh?" will even remotely be as offensive. I think in the end, things are going to get downright nasty. Especially if something happens to Stormwind's prince.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    That will be patch 5.1

"We've decided that all of the violence and killing over the past 7 years is offensive to too many people. So the war between the Horde and Alliance is officially over. The next big raid will be Around the Campfire. Players of both factions will join hands and sing kumbaya."
    Don't even joke about that *hugs self and wimpers*

10+ Year Old Account
    It bordered on some mild sexual connotation in what he said. There are sensative people across the world that don't want to feel emasculated by another, and thats exactly what the line entailed.
    #boycottchina

but guess what - it was part of his personality. Now he's another bland, emotionless, faceless NPC. Eugh.
    Yes, the alteration of one line of dialogue out of hundreds eliminated his entire personality.

Did you know that the first line of the first Sherlock Holmes story started out with Holmes saying, "Sometimes I tire of this world where things are far more evident to me than to everyone else." That line got removed for being too lame, which is why today Sherlock Holmes is known for being a bland, faceless protagonist with no personality.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thundercles View Post
    All that's obvious is that this fracas has caused them to remove the line. That doesn't mean they agree with her. That means they have better things to do with their time and resources than argue this point so they simply removed it.

Were you people also on the bandwagon when it rolled through proclaiming that Blizz was racist due to "Worgen spelled backwards" and "dropping watermelons?"
    there's no need to be so confrontational.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    And lets not forget. Garrosh's own men dropped the equivalent of the atom bomb on a school of kids. And Blizzard has hinted that Garrosh himself is going to order some war crimes things during pandaria's storyline which will lead to both factions turning and taking him out. There's going to be some really disturbing things in Pandaria I predict. And I don't think "You are some kind of gorgeous huh?" will even remotely be as offensive. I think in the end, things are going to get downright nasty. Especially if something happens to Stormwind's prince.

Don't even joke about that *hugs self and wimpers*
    You're right.

I suddenly want to make a guild, "Garrosh 2012"
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    I hate polictical correctness

WoW is a dynamic world and there must be all sorts of people in that world with unacceptable traits ie sexists, racists, homophobics etc

seriously not every NPC has to be PC giving them human traits no matter how deplorable gives them character and makes them interesting and fun

This is a bad move and i guess soon that goblin in the stranglethorn vale zepplin wont be flirting with me anymore
    I like that statement to be honest.

-(certain) People complain when there is no homosexual, transsexual or female representation in the game, and say Blizzard hates them because of it.
    -(certain) People complain when there is racist, sexist, hitler-y and creepy representation in the game, and demand it should get changed or removed.

I'd say they should stop complaining about characters in a GAME. A game shouldn't be taken so damn serious, and those that complain their "kind of people" is not well-represented, should accept that the type of people they find disgusting are also around.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Hyperbolic exaggeration was my intent, because I think anyone who confounded developers/characters/players is on a slippery slope. It's a very, very short walk from "that line is out of place" to "that character is out of place", because that one line is in-line with the character.
    It isn't at all, and I don't think moving from hyperbolic arguments to slippery slope ones is much of a step up.
    I revise papers I've written and characters I've created all the time because there are little things that don't flow well or sit with the rest of the piece appropriately. When you edit a piece of writing you often change entire paragraphs and uncounted sentences, but retain the overall meaning. Anyone who's ever written academically or professionally will tell you this.

Changing a line because of feedback on it being misplaced is a far cry from rewriting an entire character.

I'm afraid of spiders, should I petition Blizz to remove them from the game?
    They should certainly weigh the pros and cons, sure. How much is lost by changing one line of poorly written dialogue? How much is gained by keeping it in? How much is lost by removing spiders? How much is gained by keeping them in? Luckily, you're smart enough to see the difference, though you may wish to argue otherwise.

Blizz sure likes to bend over for the PC brigade lately

I remember when they irked PETA over how much animal killing we do so they go and make fun of PETA by adding DEHTA etc

Blizz plz show some balls and reclaim your game from the empty suits that seem to be dictating every aspect of your game lately