Page 1 of 3
LastLast

is it just me or do rift have a very mature community?

I quit wow about 6 months ago, after a year of insults and a massive immigration of kids to my server i simply had enough, wow is sadly no longer a game for adults, unless you are in a great guild.
    Ive grown to miss the mmorpg enviroment tho, and found a realy cheap copy of rift with 40 days gametime in a lokal store for about 5$.
    So i figured why not give it a try. The first thing i fell in love with was the way you build your soul-tree, and a couple of lvls later i was blown away by the invasion of jakob and the death plane in freemarch. Simply awsome how people spontaneously team up to beat back the npc's.

Now at lvl 25 (only played for 4 days mind you ) ive had alot of interaction whit other players, been reading the town chat, and been asking alot of public questions. Ive not had even one rude answer, ive seen no trolling in the public chat's and people are giving each other constructive criticism.
    Rift feels like how world of warcraft's community were 4 years ago.

Im amazed with the great community, and cant help but wonder, is this an isolated thing for my server, or is rift in general very mature?

sorry for my bad grammar, not a native english-speaker.

//Narw

Deleted
    is it just me or do rift have a very mature community?
    It's "is it just me or doES rift have a very mature community?" Do you see what I did there, very mature don't you think

Anyhow every time I log on, I do see helpful behaviour, but I also see a heck of a lot "this is a wow clone", wow sucks, wow rocks, etc etc style chat. but hey I also saw a lot of that in SWTOR.

I don't see your badge, so please don't be the grammar police -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-04-13 at 08:24 PM.

I do agree, and found that there are a lot more mature people in this game than I found in WoW. Of course, smaller player base = smaller number of trolls. Although, once you reach level 50 chat, you start to see more trolls. And I find the people in this game are a lot more helpful towards the newer people.

However, I suspect this thread to devolve like any of the other threads that have said good things about Rift. For some reason, if you say anything good about any aspect of Rift, people feel like they have to chime in about the same aspect found in WoW. I hope it doesn't happen, and get this thread locked as well. But you praised an aspect of Rift, and we just can't have that.

Certain things that work in WoW to incite a good laugh (atleast on Deepwood) simply do not work in any way shape or form:
    . Chucks Norris jokes do not catch on
    . Any anal related jokes have never caught on after starting them
    . Trolling someone ends up getting you ignored

One thing I have seen that works is if you call someone a elitist or say they used a exploit. Only time we had good drama was when this guild pug'd a few spots in a raid and then when they got to the boss with the relic they kicked all the pugs. After it became public knowledge in 50 chat the guild leader was forced to respond due to the drama. When he was explaining it he capitalized "EMERGENCY MEETING!"

So now on Deepwood if anyone gets mad at someone they say EMERGENCY MEETING! and most everyone knows the running joke. This would be equivalent to "UMADGORDO" back on Mal'Ganis

It has a smaller community... I would disagree with it being more mature.

World chat channels on my server are full of annoying trash talk and "trolling" much worse than I see in wow after they removed this magnet for attention seeking kids.

My guild, while I like them on one level, even though they are mostly in their mid 20's to 30's are more childish in their interactions with other guilds and opinions than my wow guild with a lower age demographic. **This is purely my experience and in no way representative of all guilds in rift.

Doing their random experts you usually get a quick greeting at the start, then either silence, or the occasional drama episode over loot or someones mistake. Pretty comparable to WoW.

I would say it's on a par with WoW in my opinion, but most people will disagree and assert it is better

You get trolls and people with weird crazy in joke talk, especially late at night, but for the most part it's a little better, I see a lot more people being helpful, and not just with advice.

I think percentage wise the number of trolls/assholes is the same and that seems right, in any given group you are going to get x% of ass hats. But let's say that 1% of players are the kind to be proper dicks in chat. If there are 100 players online, there is only 1 dick and he is going to be told to shut up. If there are 1,000 players online, there are 10 dicks, and they're going to encourage each other and try to out do each other and if they feel the other trolls have got their back they will ignore people telling them to shut up.

This is I think why WoW seems worse, or why RIFT seems better. Same % of trolls, but trolls are more effective in groups and the amount of trolling that they do goes up exponentially as more trolls are online.

15+ Year Old Account
    ya the trolling isnt as bad, but like my server(Briarcliff) there tends to be a few named Trolls, that basically are there to try and seek attention. but thats the internet for ya.

Deleted
    Rift has a much smaller community, which is one factor.

I just gotta throw it in - why do people think WoW has such a bad community? I actually think it's quite solid still. And it is for sure not worse then back in vanilla. Rose tinted glasses aside, the community was just as it is today on various realms. Atleast that's what I've felt.

Different servers have different personalities. Some servers I've played on have professional trolls who spend far too much time antagonizing one or two other would-be trolls, while some good natured individuals come off looking like idiots for attempting to reason with said troll. Other servers are fairly quiet, only really speaking up when someone asks a question, or offering a "Hey level 50 chat, how's everyone today?" when they log on.

So, as far as chat channels go, it'll be a mixed bag, but generally speaking, I've seen less asshats looking for attention on a zone-by-zone basis. As far as play goes, Rift has been head and shoulders above the competition in playerbase attitude. Outside of someone who gets angry that a zone event fails ("Why the hell didn't group 3 head to X to defend?!") and the occasional random dungeon group, I don't see a lot of destructive or antagonistic personalities. People seem more likely to team up or even assist the other faction, than fight over something.

The Rift playerbase is interesting. Though many/most of them may have played WoW at some point, the majority (from my experience) have spent time in numerous other MMOs over the years. Some go as far back as Meridian 59, others to EQ1&2, Dark Age of Camelot or SWG. This doesn't make them more mature or better players, but they do tend to be more experienced and less likely to blow a fuse over content, class balance, or flavor of the month MMO trolling.

That's been my experience at least

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the server and somewhat the faction but 1-29 chat is usually a good place to fill your ignore list
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are a fair share of no-lifers on the forums that love to troll. Also - there are some people on-line - EU servers that are just plain elitist jerks. I guess it's the same everywhere, but generally, I could say the experience has been better than WoW.
    My blog & rants: www.wocky.me

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    I just gotta throw it in - why do people think WoW has such a bad community? I actually think it's quite solid still. And it is for sure not worse then back in vanilla. Rose tinted glasses aside, the community was just as it is today on various realms. Atleast that's what I've felt.
    Other than the piece I said about Trolls being worse in greater numbers, I think that WoW is a victim of it's own success. There are a lot of pop culture references, a lot of long standing jokes, the game doesn't take itself that seriously (just look at all the achievements that have amusing names). You get a lot of trolls trying to be funny regurgitating the same anal jokes, leroy jenkins references, calling people wrath baby, etc. Who knows maybe RIFT will be the same in six years time?

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's barely any "mature" comunity on MMO's or else we wouldn't be playing them lol

Anyways, WoW has a lot of "mature" ;P players, the problem is that it has such amount of players playing it that it's hard to find them.

Have played rift for 5 months of subbing, 2 x level 50 chars and a small bit of end game raiding. From my personal experiance the rift community is not much different to that of wow, just a lot smaller. Basically I find If I ask a proper question in wow or rifts general chat I will normally get a sensible answer however in wow general chat I see a lot more random immature comments being made about nothing, and that is quite simply, there are far more players playing and as aresult you will see more more immature players, that does not mean there are not good mature players out there, it just means you likely miss them.
    Have to say in terms of general chats, U cant really compare them because most of rifts chats are in the 1-29 level, so simple you compare WoW trade chat to rifts 1-29 chat, then you will see what I mean
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

If you've ever been on 9gag.com you'd see a similar type of community to most MMOs. It started off as a somewhat unknown site, full of content generators (people who kept making funny memes, designs, pictures, etc.). Then it goes fully mainstream by implementing facebook. Now most 9gag posts are re-posts, badly made meme comics that make no sense. In the comments you see people commenting in memes they probably don't really get themselves. There are a few diamonds in there still making the occasional awesome post and stuff, but most of the community there love to ripoff each other, make bad meme references and otherwise dumb down the site.

Same thing with most mmos. It starts with a great and solid community. The only thing you can do to keep it that way is try to pay it forward.

WOW still has many brilliant contributing members of its community - look at the love of the people who make pet collecting guides (that lady with an ingame character named after her that sells the winterspring sabertooth pet), tanking guides with insane math (Theck and EJ), the various song-parody makers with amazing voices and creative writing, greedygoblin,. People who post hundreds of transmog outfits with exact details on where/how to get them. People who openly share and discuss top specs. I think I spent most of my sub time alt-tabbed of WOW, reading Theck's guides, or Life in Group 5, and even just surfing the funny comments in wowhead's comments to see the history of a character/item.

Rift would be amazing if we can get more people like that. I do see some sparks on that on the official boards with the Rogue Bible, DOL guides etc., but one thing that's bugging me is when someone has a good spec and then they actually say things like, "I've got the best soloing spec I used, but I don't dare share it with you because they'll nerf it." "Don't share that pvp spec with the newbie, they'll break it in next patch". I'm not sure if it's a paranoia on the community, or if it's the developer actually doing that. I'm not a veteran enough to know (currently total 3 months played casually).

It does help that Rift seems to attract older MMO players who're a little more patient.

Generally most MMOs not called Warcraft have more mature communities. I saw the same phenomenon of friendlier, more mature players in every PvE focused MMO at launch except for AoC. AoC's community was horrible, racism and insults thrown around in a way that would make the Barrens chat blush.

My wow background mainly consists of two servers, both had a realy large community of swedish people wich knew eachother ingame, and alot of them had migrated to wow from other games. when i started playing wow about a year after the launch i were among the youngest people there, and generally me and the other people in my age playing the game were realy impressed by the more experienced players, we were (as far as i remember) pretty humble and were trying hard to fit in. It was huge for me when i got into my first real raiding guild ( not long before BC were released). When i got native with the game myself i helped other people playing the same class as me, and i were able to have great discussions about the ingame mecanics in public chats. So once i realy loved that community.

In the end of BC however the comunitys on the servers i played changed alot, one server got almost deserted, and the other got a gradual change in attitude, from being paitient and understanding in the beginning of wrath, to being rude, immature and selfish.
    I were confused by the change in attitude, and started to ask the negative people how old they were (i had a hunch) and in 90% of the cases the person answering were under 15.

I do not realy think that WoW in general have more kids today than when i started to play (even tho that is the case on my old server), I just think that the new generation of gamers are more used to get everything served, and generally dont learn to appriciate the small things, ( i do not just talk about ingame). I can just talk for the swedish community, but as far as i have seen this theory is pretty solid, both inside and outside games..
    I do realy feel old for making a theory like this, but i am acctually only 23 =)

However this is a discusion we can continue on the wow forum. The main focus of this thread was to Praise Rifts community, not to bash the communitys in other games.

Quote Originally Posted by elfispresley View Post
    It's "is it just me or doES rift have a very mature community?" Do you see what I did there, very mature don't you think

Anyhow every time I log on, I do see helpful behaviour, but I also see a heck of a lot "this is a wow clone", wow sucks, wow rocks, etc etc style chat. but hey I also saw a lot of that in SWTOR.

Sadly you see some of that toxic attitude in all mmos. Ppl being able to play to lvl 20 or whatever it is now on Rift lite for free cant help that either. From what I have seen in smaller games or games that are not the big buzz game at the time, end up being filled with players that actually enjoy it. They may not be more mature but they do play the game because they like it rather then the ppl that jump to every new game in hopes of finding whatever their life it currently lacking.

---------- Post added 2012-04-13 at 11:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Rift has a much smaller community, which is one factor.

Ppl judge it by /trade chat or how strangers act in a pug setting. To me this is like going to the slums in some place you have never been and then becoming shocked when you see ppl treating each other poorly and doing things they shouldn't.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kesandri View Post
    Have played rift for 5 months of subbing, 2 x level 50 chars and a small bit of end game raiding. From my personal experiance the rift community is not much different to that of wow, just a lot smaller. Basically I find If I ask a proper question in wow or rifts general chat I will normally get a sensible answer however in wow general chat I see a lot more random immature comments being made about nothing, and that is quite simply, there are far more players playing and as aresult you will see more more immature players, that does not mean there are not good mature players out there, it just means you likely miss them.
    Have to say in terms of general chats, U cant really compare them because most of rifts chats are in the 1-29 level, so simple you compare WoW trade chat to rifts 1-29 chat, then you will see what I mean
    This, the reasoin you don't see it in WoW when people ask questions is the people don't want to answer the question in public chat and get trolled themselves. When I see a question asked in WoW I answer it in a whisper to the player so it does not get lost in the nonsense. Then if the player has further questions or is further confused by the answer, I can talk with them 1-on-1 without all the bashing that both of us would get. I am sure there are many that do the same thing, so when you see a question not get answered but not asked again, that's probably what happens.

Depends alot on your server but my server isn't like this at all. I know Briarcliff has a bit of a rep for having a fair amount of chat trolling. But I'm on Gnarlwood and people are super friendly here. Chat trolling is a rarity and people are very helpful to newbies and such. The game is very different from my WoW server. However the MOP Beta (which means a smaller community) has been pretty decent. Minimal trolling. helpful people. So I think its a matter of population size and player type.