Thread: Thunderfury?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not even sure that the debuff would work. As far as I can tell, most on-hit effects have a degrading chance to work against targets above their expansion's level. So a level 60 weapon (even though it's a legendary) could very well not proc at all during the course of a fight.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    I'm not even sure that the debuff would work. As far as I can tell, most on-hit effects have a degrading chance to work against targets above their expansion's level. So a level 60 weapon (even though it's a legendary) could very well not proc at all during the course of a fight.
    This isn't the case for Thunderfury's slow effect. It has nearly 70% uptime against a current (Firelands, Dragon Soul) raid boss.

What it comes down to is this: if the 20% attack speed isn't a tank ability by the end of beta, and Thunderfury remains the same, good tanks will make swap weapon macros for bringing the weapon in, applying the debuff, and swapping it back out. This gameplay won't last long as Blizzard will try and hotfix it since it is obviously not intended, but anybody who thinks that it wouldn't be the case is being foolish. :P

Deleted
    would be nice to think that they would re-vamp some vanilla content and items to bring in some LMFAO moments for a decent screen shot

Quote Originally Posted by Baneslayer View Post
    Not to mention they aren't too keen on people using old tier legendaries for current content. The most I have seen a legendary go is one additional tier (For paladins the Uldaur Mace in ToC, and currently Dragonwrath with shadow priest is what a guildie told me).
    Ulduar mace was BiS clear through ICC, RS and the early stages of Cata. So that one lasted for a solid three tiers, not just one.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

You'd lose weapon dmg and as a result, have garbage threat on ur abilities....thunderfury and legendaries of the like will never be viable after their expansion of reign.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still need Baron's binding to complete mine. Everything else is sitting in my bags, ready to go. Maybe tonight's reset will be the night! Otherwise, it will be just another ~7min exercise in MC mob dodging. (Other than those Core Hounds with their ridiculously HUGE aggro radius)

If I get it, I'll do some celebratory heroics with it for the lulz, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    You'd lose weapon dmg and as a result, have garbage threat on ur abilities....thunderfury and legendaries of the like will never be viable after their expansion of reign.
    Did you read the rest of the thread? Even with thunder fury there is no threat issue. You currently take. 33% hit in damage. I don't know what that will end up being in mists but if it's less than a 50% hit in damage threat will continue to be a non-issue.

Do people not know that the 20% slow is being removed from tanks? Of do people just not know how huge that slow is in managing the boss's damage output?

I don't care if it had 0 other stats if the effect read: reduces the incoming melee damage of your current target by 20%... Every tank should want that... Who cares if it's level 90 or level 5? It's a percent modifier.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 12:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    A level 60 weapons will never be required for level 90 anything.
    If things stay the same and the only way to slow the boss swing timer that remains is thunderfury... While required might be strong there will be a noticeable difference between raids where one or more people have it and those that do not... And in that sense for progression type raids the effect will be that it is required... Probably by one or both tanks as that is where he smallest hit in damage comes.

20% slow on a boss is HUGE

It can go either way... but,

...the developer team would probably nerf it... maybe something along the lines of "less likely to proc on enemies over level 60"... they've done something similar to old Vanilla and BC enchants, etc...

...don't get me wrong, I'm not totally against the idea, I think it would be somewhat cool while tanking, seeing as my old protection paladin has a Thunderfury, I just don't see the game developers letting something like that slide...

Last time I was able to tank with Thunderfury was in Halls of Reflection heroic. If I had a good healer, I would survive, and I would keep threat unless people started doing more than 9k dps. I wouldn't recommend to ever use it for anything now, other than prance around Org/SW showing it off, if you ever feel like doing so since it's incredibly easy to get one now, provided you're not very unlucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskra View Post
    Last time I was able to tank with Thunderfury was in Halls of Reflection heroic. If I had a good healer, I would survive, and I would keep threat unless people started doing more than 9k dps. I wouldn't recommend to ever use it for anything now, other than prance around Org/SW showing it off, if you ever feel like doing so since it's incredibly easy to get one now, provided you're not very unlucky.
    Not sure how losing your main hand stats would so greatly effect survivability that you suddenly need a great healer... And your talking about threat from 4 patches ago? Before the threat buffs? Before the complete rework of the paladin class?

I tried it in DS... Used soul drinker for the first 10-15 seconds then switched to thunderfury. Had zero issues keeping a huuuuuuge threat lead over dps doing in the 30s. Also ran a few new heroics with it. No issues in trash or bosses. Dps ranged from bad to good as they generally do in randoms.

If there is a very tight enrage timer and the tank dps matters then you probably wouldn't use it but being clear here: there is no threat issue. None. So if the boss's melee damage is an issue, why wouldn't you use it?

with the 500% bonus to damage people would have to do pretty insane threat to keep up.

even WITH thunderfury I pull 11-13k dps, meaning with 500% bonus someone would have to do 66k minimum for them to pull threat off me, if their threat was 1:1 ratio, so I dont see that happening

The only time using thunderfury would be an issue as of now, is if dps was a factor, with threat out of the way, they pretty much made it so you can use whatever you want to use, regardless what it is, you can tank with a fish and still be fine.