How to win with your Nostromo Speedpad

So I got bored at work, and some friends had seen some screenshots of my UI and heard about me using the Nostromo.
    I will post pictures of my UI when I am at home later, but here is the guide I came up with.

---------------------
    | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
    ---------------------
    | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 0 |
    ---------------------
    | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | MB|
    ---------------------

11 bound to -
    12 bound to =
    13 bount to [
    14 bound to ]
    MB = Mouse Button

Setup Bars ingame using Bartender in the Layout above, this will help you when getting used to your Keybindings. I have found out being able to visually see what I am pressing and the location of the binds helped a TON when I was getting used to the peripheral as well as when I am trying out a new spec, or class using it.

Bar 1 - 10 Buttons 2 Rows
    Bar 2 - 5 Buttons

Setup Button paging VIA Bartender so when Shift is Pressed it changes Bar 1 and Bar 2
    The Advantage of this is so when you Shift bind buttons you it will swap and you can SEE what you have bound to that key.

Bar 1 goes to Bar 3
    Bar 2 goes to Bar 4

Bind Key bindings for the Above lay out for both normal and with Shift Modifiers

So 1 would have Keybinds for 1 and Shift+1

This gets a little more complicated if you are a Feral Druid, or a Warrior with button paging setup for Stances. I usually use the Bar 3 and 4 which is the SHIFT modifier bars for whatever I use in ALL Stances. Then I setup the correct paging for Stances/Forms

Page 1 - Action Bar 1
    Page 2 - Action Bar 2
    Page 3 - Shift Action Bar 1
    Page 4 - Shift Action Bar 2
    Page 5 - Bear / Prot
    Page 6 - Cat / Arms
    Page 7 - Boomkin / Fury
    Page 8 - Stealth / Cat Stealth

The only one I have a Problems with really is Cat DPS, as it has a TON of Abilities, so I tend to leave out a few on that I dont use on a regular basis, and swap them around depending on if I am Raiding or PVPing.

I have my Direction Keys on the thumb rebound as well

Up - W - Move Forward
    Left - A - Strafe left
    Right - D - Strafe Right
    Down - Spacebar - Jump

Button 15 is Bound to Shift for Shift Macros
    The Button on top of the D pad is bound to S so I can backpedal if need be when tanking, it used to be Spacebar, but it was too annoying to actually jump with it set to this button, so I moved Jump to my Down Arrow key on the Nostromo.

You can also bind things to your Mouse wheel on the Nostromo, which you can set to custom buttons of use the Normal Mouse Scrolls.

It also has a key press for an extra button on the Mouse Scroll which I have bound to Vent/RaidCall/Mumble

I am Primarily a mouse turner, so if you can strafe at the same time its very helpful, and this setup keeps your hands on the Speed Pad at all times other than chatting ingame via text.

Any questions, comments or Suggestions are welcome. I know not many people use this peripheral but I love it, and have used it back when Belkin made them and upgraded to the Razer version when my old one wore out.
    Last edited by Deamiel; 2012-04-20 at 10:21 PM.

Almost 300 Views and No Comments

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deamiel View Post
    Almost 300 Views and No Comments
    i dont even know what a nostromo speedpad is sorry :P but i thought a comment might cheer you up!

Quote Originally Posted by Deamiel View Post
    as it has a TON of Abilities
    That's the biggest problem. I've bought one a couple of years ago, played with it for a week or so but couldn't figure out how to set it up properly so I gave it away. I use every button I can reach on my keyboard including all alt, ctrl and shift combinations and I don't see how you can fit all those on Speedpad. I've found Razer Naga to be much better at this.

I don't own one but was looking at one recently and thought that I'd have no idea where to start setting it up, I wont be getting one since I'm quitting soon but if I did get one I'd probably follow the tips in here wouldn't even think of using 15 for modifying macros
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

I own the Belkin n52, largely the same but minus the Razer branding.
    I think the logitech g13 perhaps tends to attract more users than the Nostromo does.
    Though personally I am not finding it as comfortable to use for both movement and abilities as I hoped.
    I will therefore look into the purchase of a mouse such as perhaps the M.M.O 7 or M90, preferably being able to get hands-on first so I can judge better whether there would be much of a learning curve or not.

Deleted
    Razer dont always sell good quality stuff if you ask me. Always a bunch of lights and a big green razer logo. You pay alot of money only for the brand.

i much rather use Logitech stuff as the G13

Yeah I had the Belkin version as well, the Razer they changed the dimensions a bit and made it more comfy