Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Class icons floating over toons...

I'm on the free 7 day trial for former subscribers and I noticed icons denoting classes above everyone's head.

They don't really appear to be intuitive at all and I wonder if there is a way for the class to be spelled out instead. It's going to be tough to memorize sixteen of those goofy icons.

Abbreviations would be fine with me, much like the way Guild Wars does it.

you can disable them under options->nameplates

just icons atm no text

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly just use the gear the person is wearing to know their class. I have those icons turned off.

Deleted
    I was wondering what the hell those things were!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It was a feature added in with 1.2. I tend to ignore the icons or have it disabled on particular characters. I like it for PVP though.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I honestly just use the gear the person is wearing to know their class. I have those icons turned off.
    yeah but I guess with the way orange gear is now and being able to pull everything from purple that might become harder

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    yeah but I guess with the way orange gear is now and being able to pull everything from purple that might become harder
    I can still generally tell with what they're using ability wise. I don't know, I just see someone and know the spec :/

Deleted
    wait, those are CLASS icons? i thought they were alignment icons. because I had a blue hood one as a jedi sage, but a jedi sentinel had a red diamond shaped one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    wait, those are CLASS icons? i thought they were alignment icons. because I had a blue hood one as a jedi sage, but a jedi sentinel had a red diamond shaped one.
    Think of it as advanced class

Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    this is exactly the reason for those icons.
    they do not want players who disguise as another class to have a serious advantage, which they would have.

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    I'm on the free 7 day trial for former subscribers and I noticed icons denoting classes above everyone's head.

They don't really appear to be intuitive at all and I wonder if there is a way for the class to be spelled out instead. It's going to be tough to memorize sixteen of those goofy icons.

Abbreviations would be fine with me, much like the way Guild Wars does it.
    For me, if you target someone, their advanced class appears in the target frame, under their name. I am not sure if I enabled this, or it came by default, but it's definitely there.

Deleted
    I guess its useful for pvp, but i just switched it off and continued to charge in and attack everyone

Also i think that my ui tells me what advanced class they are, i cant remember and servers are down so i cant check

Deleted
    Definitely useful in PVP. While i learned to guess a class and role quickly from abilities and gear, it helps in the mess that can be some WZ.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post

They don't really appear to be intuitive at all
    Tip: you don't have to memorize the icons, only the colors. Red is marauder/sentinel. Yellow is sniper/gunslinger. Orange is agent/scoundrel. Light blue sage/sorc. etc. etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    this is exactly the reason for those icons.
    they do not want players who disguise as another class to have a serious advantage, which they would have.
    Was it really that big of a problem that they needed to put big icons over players' heads? I started laughing my butt off when I realized what they were.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

I find it useful in distinguishing between npcs and players on pvp servers, especially with the rakghoul event in full swing on Tatooine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Was it really that big of a problem that they needed to put big icons over players' heads? I started laughing my butt off when I realized what they were.

On a pvp server and during PVP events this can be a problem indeed. A welcome change imo, and it can be turned off if you don't like it anyway, so i don't see the issue to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WindfallProphet View Post
    I find it useful in distinguishing between npcs and players on pvp servers, especially with the rakghoul event in full swing on Tatooine.
    Interesting, didn't think of it for there. Will have to try it.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Oh, that's what those are. I should read those patch notes, but they are just so long.

I thought they had something to do with PvP, maybe valor ranks or something. Only logged in once for a couple hours since patch though, so hadn't really thought about it much.

Deleted
    Just need to remember the colours really :

Source : http://forum.mmosite.com/thread/2/15...6e38713-1.html