Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The dungeon is starting to look really nice!

So an NPC guy in a game is flirty by insinuating a character is attractive and probably gets hit on a lot, and apparently this causes an uproar from both criticizers and defenders so large that Daily Blink feels the need to make a comic over it?

holy hell do people need to take a step back from the computer and chill.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilderoy View Post
    The Daily Blink article really isn't funny and, in fact, is pretty sexist if you have any consideration of why it was changed...
    Well you're some kind of Gorgeous, aren't you?
    Last edited by Goretex; 2012-04-15 at 06:27 PM.

People are actually upset over what that NPC says? Wow...

Derp. To all ye freaker-outers

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Cultist View Post
    The argument makes my brain hurt. How is this sexist on blizzard's part? The character, yes, but not the artist who created it. It is the same as getting mad at someone who makes a movie about WWII and then people start getting offended because Nazi's are in the movie. Depending on your individual beliefs you may like or dislike the characters in both scenarios, but that is their purpose. Ji added realism into the game, because in the real world, there are some people who may be a little more flirtatious than others and behavior changes depending on who the are talking to. Seriously I really hate people sometimes. People who complained about this are either over sensitive or love to start drama.....
    GODWIN NOOOOO.

But yes, your point is dead on.

For another example: there were 'some' 'feminist' 'groups' that demanded a boycott of the Game of Thrones series, accusing George R. R. Martin (the author of the magnificent series) of being pro-rape / pro-exploitation / a misogynist because the world he illustrated in his novels were full of brutality not out of place in a mideval-aged era.... which included women being treated as chattel more often than not, not being able to have says in their future, really old-fashioned views on virtue and whatnot....

Which is just bizarre accusations to anyone who's actually read the series/watched the show, as it's chocked full of stunningly strong and of-era role-defying women.

I mean yes, there is prostitutes in the book, with one of the main characters owning several prostitute dens in the capital city. There's another guy that flays a bunch of women alive, while feeding another women to his hunting dogs. Yes, there are monsters in his books, but just because they're there in the setting doesn't mean that he 100% supports letting dogs swarm over and eat women for entertainment. He isn't endorsing becoming a pimp, either. They are actors in a stage he has set up to tell us a story that happens to take place in an absolute crapsack world where horrible crimes exist and strong characters must struggle to survive against the rampant injustices they come against.

It's really disheartening to see people submit to this kind of cognitive dissonance (which is exactly what this is, don't even f***ing argue it) when they encounter story elements that make them uncomfortable for its lack of political correctness portrayed; it's frightening, too, as in the long run it can promote an atmosphere of self-censorship for preventing character assassination at the expense of interesting, dynamic characters that could play a bigger role in telling a great story.

edit: I'd also like to say this for the record.

Women who immediately assume that any man who pays attention to them in a kind fashion -- even in the given example of a character that's CLEARLY intended to be a well-meaning guy with a flirtatious personality -- has no other motive but to intimidate, belittle or even assault them are being sexist.

Men are not rape robots on the prowl. It can be even safely assumed that most men do not make it their goal to touch a boob each day. Some men aren't even remotely interested in having sex with their female acquaintances! In fact, even assumptions about teenaged boys craving sexual conquest a la American Pie have been scientifically found to be grossly incorrect.

Sexism cuts both ways, a lot of people refuse to acknowledge the slice towards men when it happens. It's infuriating and it completely subverts any sort of work towards gender equality, or even become further justification for perpetuated sexism.

So yeah.

Three cheers for a controversy chock full of stupid.
    Last edited by greyghost; 2012-04-15 at 07:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dexter44
    There is no patch for human stupidity
    Orihank is displeased.

Lol, the daily blink is actually making more fun of the sexist douche canoes than the people who were noting the sexist content. I don't think Josh Meyers (writer of the original article on WoW Insider about the dialogue) claimed that Blizzard was a systematically evil corporation, But lots of sexists were seriously butthurt when the dialogue got changed.

as i've said before, if people are seriously offended and up in arms over what one NPC says ONE time to a female player? Whats going to happen if someone flirts with that player in game via the emote?

Quote Originally Posted by zorben View Post
    Lol, the daily blink is actually making more fun of the sexist douche canoes than the people who were noting the sexist content. I don't think Josh Meyers (writer of the original article on WoW Insider about the dialogue) claimed that Blizzard was a systematically evil corporation, But lots of sexists were seriously butthurt when the dialogue got changed.
    the dialogue was not sexist, it would be a different matter if he bitch slaps female characters then gives them a quest to get him a beer and make him a sandwich, followed by a rape quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilderoy View Post
    The Daily Blink article really isn't funny and, in fact, is pretty sexist if you have any consideration of why it was changed...
    You don't say? Last time I remember calling someone gorgeous was more of a complement. Here's hoping Blizz grows a bigger spine because that's just too petty for anyone to really care about quest text that was overall not offensive.
    My General Gaming Blog *Latest Updated: 9/25/14*

Too many people, caring for too much attention. This world is f*cked up.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The dialogue was not offensive to begin with. The fact that THAT is what what people want changed is a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    i agree all people should be equal.. of course this means that women children arent first they are beside you jostling for a seat on the last lifeboat leaving the titanic.... a guy may get on a girl may get on or perhapes niether will but in the end at least they were equal in thier wanting of the seat

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baergrillz View Post
    Well you're some kind of Gorgeous, aren't you?
    OMG REPORTED FOR SEXISM!!

---------- Post added 2012-04-15 at 12:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Renwin View Post
    You don't say? Last time I remember calling someone gorgeous was more of a complement. Here's hoping Blizz grows a bigger spine because that's just too petty for anyone to really care about quest text that was overall not offensive.
    I still think that the person who originally complained about it was autistic or something.

Seriously, since when is a Panda-man calling you gorgeous worse than a giant monster-man calling a female character a bitch? Social skills - not everyone has them.
    Last edited by Mukki; 2012-04-15 at 07:07 PM.

Speaking of things changed for overly sensitive individuals:

There also used to be a debuff called "A Chink In the Armor" in the Beta but they changed it to "Unarmored" (look at the full URL linked)

http://mop.wowhead.com/spell=112920/...k-in-the-armor

edit: oh and about the panda thing...was he supposed to be bi that way he is attracted to both sexes that way the response would be equal? If he's not bi then why is he not allowed to talk about how attractive a woman is? If you're straight, do you have sex with someone of the same sex as you? If you don't then, OMG GENDER INEQUALITY YOU MUST DIIIIIIIIIE. A straight man is not often going to tell a stranger of the same sex face-to-face that he/she is handsome (and it wouldn't be because of their own comfort of sexuality but the possibility of the other straight person of the same sex being very sensitive). A straight man (if they have the right confidence level...and this panda would have plenty of confidence in his position) is going to tell someone of the opposite sex if he finds them attractive. Some people just flat out need to be diagnosed mentally handicapped if they don't understand BASIC NATURE.
    Last edited by Eleveneleven; 2012-04-15 at 07:41 PM.

Deleted
    I am a big fan of Serpent Spread.

If I recall right, the thing that actually offened this person was that she was called gorgoues and not strong then the whole womens lib came in with "women are just as strong if not stronger!" and how upset she was that the males get told they are strong while the women its all based on looks.

Im a chick and even I rolled my eyes when I read that this was being taken away. Its nice for a npc to have character, and there are npcs out there with much much much worse text, and with how many people actually READ the quest and not just skip it all and click accept.. it really wouldnt matter.

Love the daily blink. I saw that thread on the beta forum, people really do complain about the stupidest things geez.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poor Ji.

I kinda want to hug him. I thought it was cute that he flirted with my character - I actually anticipated more gender-related stuff to show up, mostly because I think it would be interesting.

But no, we take the poor guy and make him take "no means no" courses because he had the AUDACITY to say "wow, you're hot" to a chick.

Hell, let's say that his dialogue was reversed - he flirted with males and praised females for being strong. Suddenly, even more people are up in arms WHEN IT IS JUST A CHARACTERIZATION.

I'm so sick of out PC culture.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ahahaha the daily blink, That was pure awesome right there. Yeah I pretty much read the ENTIRE thread about the one complaining about it; It was beyond ridiculous hopefully they re-instate that uniqueness of Ji's personality

It's a mad world