Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Been a disappointment? Anything specific you're referring to?
    Going from 40nm to 28nm (as opposed to 32nm) and the long delay due to process problems (how many months late was it?) and all we got was a small boost. How is it not a disappointment?

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    Going from 40nm to 28nm (as opposed to 32nm) and the long delay due to process problems (how many months late was it?) and all we got was a small boost. How is it not a disappointment?
    GPUs are generally produced on what is called a half-node. A half-node is basically a transistor shrink before a die shrink. You get lower power requirements of 28nm transistors, but without the financial benefit of a full node jump. A 28nm die is actually the same size as a 32nm die so it costs the same or more money to produce.

28nm is the half-node of 32nm
    40nm is the half-node of 45nm
    55nm is the half-node of 65nm
    80nm is the half-node of 90nm

Understand?

28nm has not seem significant delays. In fact it's pretty much right on schedule. What's happened is the global demand for 28nm wafers far outstrips the demand for 40nm because of the mobile phone/tablet revolution. Every ARM player wants 28nm processors to stick in their iPhone/iPad competitors.

7970 vs 6970
    680 vs 580

How can you call those a "small boost"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    7970 vs 6970
    680 vs 580

How can you call those a "small boost"?
    I call that a small boost. It's not a big secret they went for low tdp designs rather than powerful chips.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    plus more and newer features.
    Most Z77 features are exclusive to the new Ivy Bridge CPUs. I have also read however that a 2500k perform ever so slightly better with Z77 compared to Z68, but I have no reliable source.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Most Z77 features are exclusive to the new Ivy Bridge CPUs.
    What other features except PCI 3.0 support would that be?

VirtuMVP (which includes the software VSync and HyperFormance) is another one.

You've got a really weird idea of perspective in my honest opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    VirtuMVP (which includes the software VSync and HyperFormance) is another one.
    Isn't that a chipset feature?
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-04-16 at 09:51 AM.

I thought it required the HD 4000 intel graphics chip, which is conveniently only on 3570K and 3770K. I can only find tests with a 3770K though, the only thread on a forum I found was this one which only has a question (as of now) and no answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    I call that a small boost. It's not a big secret they went for low tdp designs rather than powerful chips.
    Agreed.

70%~ gains in AMD and 40%+ gains from Nvidia are totally small. Can barely notice a difference.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Agreed.

70%~ gains in AMD and 40%+ gains from Nvidia are totally small. Can barely notice a difference.
    Glad you see it my way :P Tbh what we did compare when released was vs the 580, the 6970 not being the top dog anyway.

Deleted
    Isn't that a chipset feature?
    Yes, but afaik the chipset still needs the proper CPU to unlock the features. I believe VirtuMVP is exclusive to HD4000.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-04-16 at 10:44 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Yes, but afaik the chipset still needs the proper CPU to unlock the features. I believe VirtuMVP is exclusive to HD4000.
    Virtu MVP

"Designed for the next generation of Intel Sandy Bridge Z68/H67/H61 and other Intel integrated graphics as well as many AMD processor-based notebooks, all in one PCs and desktop motherboards, Virtu MVP has many of the same features as the popular Virtu software, but with a twist – the addition of the optional Hyperformance™ feature for intelligent reduction of redundant rendering tasks in the flow between the CPU, GPU and display."

Doesn't say anything about features exclusive to the Ivy Bridge CPU's though.

---------- Post added 2012-04-16 at 05:08 PM ----------
    About the temps of IB:

I've been "digging" a bit and found this thread:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1242711/t...ard-review/150

Quote:
    Either way, the temperatures are validated. 4.8ghz @ 1.225v during prime around 70C so I would assume if you upped the voltage .14-.15 then the temperatures would increase DRAMATICALLY and EASILY hit 100C+.
    A lot of people are suspecting that the reviewers are using too high voltages and that this would cause the high temperatures.

I guess we won't know for sure until launch day and we will get to see the reviews of some press overclockers
    Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2012-04-16 at 03:09 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    4.8GHz@1.225v sounds more like what I expected from Ivy... all these leakers posting 4.5GHz@ what? Like 1.35v? That's a Sandy Bridge voltage, and while the two CPUs are similar, you still need to OC them differently and with different voltages. We'll see what happens.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    4.8GHz@1.225v sounds more like what I expected from Ivy... all these leakers posting 4.5GHz@ what? Like 1.35v? That's a Sandy Bridge voltage, and while the two CPUs are similar, you still need to OC them differently and with different voltages. We'll see what happens.
    Yeah.

This makes it seem like the people who leaked info doesn't really know what they are doing I guess.

When the "official" reviews hit and everything seems fine I guess I'll stick with IB.
    4.8 GHz overclock doesn't seem bad at all, I wasn't even planning on going higher than 4.5 GHz with my H100 O.o

Well, there's the blatant issue that some can't necessarily go further than that. The Norwegian dude could apparently not break the 4.5 GHz without less than 1.32v apparently.

However, there are a number of features that may be changed around by users to provide a slightly better overclock. There were some settings that were noted to increase the heat generated, but didn't seem to actually affect stability. Lowering them were expected to maintain stability while generating less heat.

The unofficial reviews show heat being an issue, and it makes perfect sense really.

The watt rating on the processor is heat dissipation. Sandy at 32nm, and Ivy at 22nm, both at 95W. This means same amount of heat, except it's dissipating it from a smaller die area, or higher concentration of heat per area. Since the watt rating didn't go down, this means it's going to be hotter, not as good for OCers.

Quote Originally Posted by ewhenn View Post
    Etc
    Posts like these make it clear why reading the thread is a good idea, imo.

Err, what. The difference between the NH-D14, Silver Arrow, Archon and the H100 are almost exclusively in the fans. Performance and scaling wise they're practically identical, yes?

The charts I've seen show the H100 to pull ahead by a whopping 1.3 degrees celsius or similar stuff. Which isn't much considering the fans' RPM is quite a bit higher. komplett.no lists NH-D14's fan speeds to go from 800-1300, and H100's fan speeds are listed at 1300-2500 RPM.
    Personally I prefer a good air cooler over water (closed or custom). If your pump fails, which they all eventually do, your Proc can die. Sure a fan can fail, but at least the slight passive air movement would prevent your CPU from toasting. Less to worry about leak wise as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ewhenn View Post
    Personally I prefer a good air cooler over water (closed or custom). If your pump fails, which they all eventually do, your Proc can die. Sure a fan can fail, but at least the slight passive air movement would prevent your CPU from toasting. Less to worry about leak wise as well.
    This is downright irrelevant to the topic, nevermind shows a lack of familiarity with the subject.

The pump going out is not the end of the world, similar to the fan on the CPU cooler dying. What exactly are you thinking will happen if the pump dies? That the waterloop just explodes from the sudden lack of moving water to dissipate the heat?

Moreover, leaks? Pfft. You should be worrying about the GPU or CPU heatsinks then. Waterloops aren't by any stretch of the imagination some sort of dangerous entity, and if you've got a leak that harms your stuff then you've failed to adhere to basic guidelines.