Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Swapping from Win 7 32 bit to 64 bit..

Hi guys,

I have Win 7 32 bit (legally).

I want to install Win 7 64 bit on my new SSD. How do I do this?

I've tried google, but no clear answer. Do I need to purchase windows again?

Thanks in advance!
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    Do I need to purchase windows again?
    Yes, you have to. These are two complete different versions.

Quote Originally Posted by mmomuRx View Post
    Yes, you have to. These are two complete different versions.
    No you do not. This is terribly wrong. As long as you do not have the OEM version of Windows 32 bit than the code will work for 64 bit as well. You just need to get your hands on the software. I just rebuilt a computer and did the same thing. My code worked perfectly fine with no problems at all. If your code doesn't work all you need to do is call Microsoft and let them know that you just rebuilt a computer and your code is not working. They should give you a code or get yours to work if you don't have the OEM version of windows.
    The days of the carrot on a stick mindset are over. 'You want it? It's right there. Just go get it' Has changed to 'Here, Don't eat it all at once, Aw hell, What do I care?'

How do I find out if I have a OEM version? Thanks for the reply!
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

How do I find out if I have a OEM version? Thanks for the reply!
    Did you buy Windows seperately and install it or did it come with the computer? If you bought it seperately than the OEM version will only have the 32 bit disk. The case with me was that I bought my computer with vista and upgraded when Windows7 came out. Since mine was an upgrade it was not an OEM version. If it came with the computer however, it may be an OEM version.

You could always try to use your code with a 64 bit software on your new SSD and see if it works and if not call Microsoft and see whats up. If they say you have the OEM version than you will probably have to purchase windows again.
    The days of the carrot on a stick mindset are over. 'You want it? It's right there. Just go get it' Has changed to 'Here, Don't eat it all at once, Aw hell, What do I care?'

Try it on a secondary hard drive first to see if you can install it using the code.
    OEM versions are usually only accompanying pre-built computers, but some/most use it for their home built as well.

Windows ISO:s can be found here; http://www.mydigitallife.info/downlo...ownload-links/

15+ Year Old Account
    And you can download the tool to make bootable windows usb stick here.

Basically you first download the correct ISO from tetri's link. Then download and install that little software, run it and follow the directions. All you need is an empty USB stick with few gigs of space.

Hehe.. I domt have a USB stick, cant I burn it one a CD instead?

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure you can. Figured an USB stick was the easier choice for most people. :P
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2012-08-27 at 08:10 PM.

So I just download the ISO, put it on a CD and pop it in?

I think I may have OEM software.. When I go to my system it says in the bottom "Product-id: xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxx-xxxxx", should I ignore this or does it mean I have a OEM version?

If that's the case, ill have to purchase the whole thing again?

You have an OEM copy.
    But try installing it on a new partition/new drive if you have one availible and see what happens. I have friends who've succeeded in this.

15+ Year Old Account
    You still need the product key though.

Sometimes OEM systems don't come with one / people have lost it a long time ago.

Should say on a sticker on the case.

I installed some program named "keyfinder", I tried to install W7 on my PC today and it said the product key was invalid... I thought I had the incorrect one, but this program showed the exact same product key..

I guess my only option is to call microsoft?

I installed some program named "keyfinder", I tried to install W7 on my PC today and it said the product key was invalid... I thought I had the incorrect one, but this program showed the exact same product key..

I guess my only option is to call microsoft?
    Yes, call them and see whats going on. If you have an OEM version and the product key won't work for 64 bit than you will need to buy windows again.

I'm downloading Windows 7 Professional x64 (64-bit) from that link you gave me. IF I have to purchase W7 again, ill buy the OEM version. However, the windows I am downloading is in English and the one Ill purchase is a Dutch OEM version. Would that give any trouble at all?

Also, once this is done downloading I just put this file on a CD and im ready to go?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if the language differences will cause an issue with it. I wanna say they won't, but that's just based off of a vague memory of being able to select your language at the start of the install (for whatever that's worth). You'll probably need to burn it to a DVD, and you can't simply drop the ISO file to the disc and tell it to burn. Get a free ISO burning program (ISOmagic works great for me) and it'll burn the image to the DVD and format it correctly so it'll be a bootable disc.

EDIT: Noticed you were downloading W7 64x Professional. If the CD key you have is for Home Premium, I'm pretty sure it won't work. So before you let it finish downloading, make sure that the key you have is for Professional ant not for Home Premium or Ultimate.
    Last edited by Hanto; 2012-08-28 at 08:33 AM.

Deleted
    I'm downloading Windows 7 Professional x64 (64-bit) from that link you gave me. IF I have to purchase W7 again, ill buy the OEM version. However, the windows I am downloading is in English and the one Ill purchase is a Dutch OEM version. Would that give any trouble at all?
    Going from x86 to x64, the version and language needs to be the same.

I.e. if you have 32-bit Windows Home Premium Swedish, you can't use the same key for 64-bit Windows Professional English, it needs to be 64-bit Windows Home Premium Swedish.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Going from x86 to x64, the version and language needs to be the same.

I.e. if you have 32-bit Windows Home Premium Swedish, you can't use the same key for 64-bit Windows Professional English, it needs to be 64-bit Windows Home Premium Swedish.
    Right...

In that case, i'll need to find a Dutch ISO download. Thanks for the heads up about how to make a bootable disk out of it, Hanto.

Where is my best bet to find a Dutch ISO download? Im not sure if I should use bittorrent for this.. Is that safe?

Deleted
    Dutch ISO of... what? Windows Professional? Home Premium?

Windows 7 Professional x64 Dutch: msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59236.iso
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-08-28 at 09:10 AM.