need tips for pve DPs operative, any one here play it?

I've been wanting to get good at pve DPs op for a while now.

I've mostly been running with doctor lokin and its been kinda rough, I'm wondering if it will be better to use a tank comp since operatives are kinda squishy without many defensive cool downs, also with a tank Comp I can use my.back stab which I really can't with a healer comp unless I stun the enemy.

Is it better to use kaliyo (range tank) or scorpio (melee tank)? I know treek is awesome and I have her but I can't stand her voice and prefer a regular comp.

What spec do you prefer, lethality or concealment?

Quote Originally Posted by Tesket View Post
    I've been wanting to get good at pve DPs op for a while now.

I've mostly been running with doctor lokin and its been kinda rough, I'm wondering if it will be better to use a tank comp since operatives are kinda squishy without many defensive cool downs, also with a tank Comp I can use my.back stab which I really can't with a healer comp unless I stun the enemy.

Is it better to use kaliyo (range tank) or scorpio (melee tank)? I know treek is awesome and I have her but I can't stand her voice and prefer a regular comp.

What spec do you prefer, lethality or concealment?

Hate I can't help you.

Operative and smuggler is the one version of the classes I just don't care for. I'll take the sniper or Gunslinger over it any day.

Hopefully someone will come across this and give you some pointers. I leveled a smuggler and just didn't care for it,

I hate to be a negative nancy, but forget about operatives/scoundrel dps. They lost so much in terms of fun abilities and gameplay in the last year or so, that it's not even funny any more. If you still want to continue anyway, the only advice I would give you is to go with the tank that has the least AoE moves/pushbacks simply because you depend on being precise and having a tank breaking CCs or tossing enemies into other groups of enemies is a bit retarded. In case you are wondering, that's what the Wookie tank does for scoundrels. In terms of specs, I really don't know how they measure up post-disciplines.

Hey, I main a Lethality Operative and have done since 2.0.

I basically never use a healing Comp I run a dps Companion (Ensigh Temple, ranged DPS) and have ZERO problems.
    I might use a healing comp for tougher fights but thats pretty rare. Just make sure your Companion is well geared and use your CC and you should have no problems.
    Regarding The Wookie tank for scoundrels tossing people around, yeah it does which is hilarious, but you can turn it or any ability OFF for your companions, quite often I turn off AoE abilites if CC is really needed so again no prolems there at all.

The Concealment (Scrapper) vs Lethality (Ruffian) which is better question is imho more about player preference.
    Concealment is strong single target and needs a stealth opener to be at its best, plus its strong focus is on melee range positional attacks.
    Because of the positional reliance a tank companion is usefull for some people if things are living long enough to matter.

Lethality is DoT's obviously with non positional reliance (especially post 3.0) and is more of a mid range fighter (still needs melee 4m for full dps but quite strong at 10m and can dot at 30m).

Regarding Ranged tank vs melee tank, there is no difference in effectiveness, but I find Kaliyo (ranged tank) easier to gear so I gear and run her if I need a tank (usually in group content only)

Regarding BEST dps, as of this moment I have not seen any firm numbers on highest dps potential for either, but as said above your preferred playstyle is probably more important ie melee positional gameplay vs mid range DoT spec.
    Bioware have detailed their expectations in a twitch stream about DPS numbers and their intention to keep each AC within its target number range so if your class is under or over performing expect nerfs/buffs... hence while I say PLAY WHAT YOU ENJOY

And I would say that my experience is completely different from the "Negative Nancy" above.. I think the Lethality operative plays better than it has ever done the only thing they took that I miss is Orbital Strike but otherwise its more fun and plays smoother imo.

I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Silber69 View Post
    And I would say that my experience is completely different from the "Negative Nancy" above.. I think the Lethality operative plays better than it has ever done the only thing they took that I miss is Orbital Strike but otherwise its more fun and plays smoother imo.

I hope this helps

I should have made clear that I mained a scrapper (concealment). In the last year or so, including this expansion, we lost the knockdown for shoot-first, we lost shoot-first itself (backblast doesn't count since it invokes its CD), we lost Flyby, we lost flachette round, we lost sabotage charge and so on and so forth. Sure, it's "smoother" since there are fewer things to do with many abilities cut or their damage incorporated elsewhere (ie flachette round), but in terms of actual, fun mechanics the current iteration is a million miles behind what it was a year ago (and don't get me started about before that when we lost the benefits of cover).

Are the numbers good? I have no clue, it's too early to say yet with the expansion. But how many more things should the specs lose for the sake of playing "smooth", whatever that might mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Pourekos View Post
    I should have made clear that I mained a scrapper (concealment). In the last year or so, including this expansion, we lost the knockdown for shoot-first, we lost shoot-first itself (backblast doesn't count since it invokes its CD), we lost Flyby, we lost flachette round, we lost sabotage charge and so on and so forth. Sure, it's "smoother" since there are fewer things to do with many abilities cut or their damage incorporated elsewhere (ie flachette round), but in terms of actual, fun mechanics the current iteration is a million miles behind what it was a year ago (and don't get me started about before that when we lost the benefits of cover).

Are the numbers good? I have no clue, it's too early to say yet with the expansion. But how many more things should the specs lose for the sake of playing "smooth", whatever that might mean?
    Shoot first gone, yup.
    Shoot First knockdown gone yes, but you can talent both Back Balst and Tendon blast to provide an immobilise (the knockdown was taken away as the standup animation was causing it to effect enemy players for longer than intended).
    Flyby gone, yup
    Fletchette round now passive ability.
    Sab charge gone yes... but was clunky to use and Thermnal Grenade numbers have been adjusted to compensate.

You gained Slow Release Med Pack for both DPS specs...
    You Gained an Operation CD (Stack the Deck) increasing Crit chance for your Operation/group
    You gained Shank shot, yet another immobilise.
    You gained Blood Boiler (at 57)
    Blaster whip has been replaced for Scrapper by Bludgeon.

So by these numbers you lost 5 and gained 5... looks even to me.

PLUS

Disciplines enable you to take some awesome Utilities that where previously tied to spcific talent trees, Im looking at you Scramble (everytime your attacked your CD on Dodge is lowered)
    Also You can also now benefit from heals while stealthed.
    Also you now get 2 passive debuffs that provide benefits to your OP/Group

In terms of actual fun, well that is subjective and clearly my opinion differs from yours.

Smooth means just that.
    I get a Tactical advantage's much easier now... whereas before I was waiting often to get them (starved for them sometimes) making gameplay a feast or famine affair in regards to resources.

Scoundrels/OPs have another thing that makes gameplay smoother in that you dont need to sit on or store an Upper Hand/ TA for max dps (used to provide a 5% buff to Damage) that is now built in.

Upon closer examination I stand by my claim that things have changed yes, some things have gone yes but we have gained much and Im having more fun than previously.

Your mileage may vary..
    Last edited by Silber69; 2014-12-15 at 01:32 AM. Reason: typo

Obviously you are entitled to like the changes and have fun, the same way I am entitled to not to.

However, I do have to highlight my disagreement that taking 5 things away and giving 5 in return means things are even, because this has nothing to do with a class/spec identity since it simply isn't a matter of numbers. The most obvious example is the flachette round change; some of us stayed with scrappers simply because we found them to be the most fun spec in many ways, including animations and abilities and Flachette round was one of them. Now sure, the dmg is baked into backblast, same with upper hand damage boost baked into all the abilities, but it's the changes like these that contribute to the feeling that they remove the "fun" parts that identify the specs, more than "oh look, they took away my flachette round/flyby/charge,knockdown and give me some generic abilities so we are even!"

PS your list is also highly inaccurate, because we (scrappers) lost more that we got. We got the HOT (that does nothing) and we lost our big heal. I am an average player myself, but one of the best moves a scrapper could pull was to find the right time and place to use CC/escape mechanisms to LOS and heal up. You can't do that with a weak HOT though, can you? And that's just another example of the spec losing some of the fun and identity: what was before the possibility for skilful and rewarding play has now been replaced by literally a mindless button. But I am sure you will tell me how "smooth" that is as well.

PPS so getting Bludgeon counts as a new ability? Really? So because they didn't say "you now have a new rank to train your blaster whip", but rather they gave it a new name then this counts as we got a new ability?