Thread: SWTOR failing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Averrix View Post
    It's only obvious as they recently made their free to play time longer. I've played SWTOR and I don't find anything special about it at all. Whenever I start playing it I start thinking, 'WoW in space' and I log out.
    The trial? You know some games have a endless trial? Or do you mean the 30 (now 31) free days they gave to loyal customers?
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    It was short of the game everyone expected it to be that was the one big drawback , the questing is somewhat engaging but its way to linear and rolling alts seeing the same content killing peoples space bars is a little tedious and dont get me started on the state of pvp
    It does have the potential to be a great game someday but still needs a complete overhaul and legacy wasnt it (urgh )
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    You seem to have failed to realize through the rainbows and butterflies the part where I said "The game just came out several months ago".
    What rainbows and butterflies? It's a common tactic of all subscription games? Why wouldn't they want to bring back subscribers? Why does it cry desperation for one company, and not another?

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

You seem to have failed to realize through the rainbows and butterflies the part where I said "The game just came out several months ago".
    And like I said big freaking deal. I played Rift since launch for 3 months quit, they sent me a email the next week offering to let me try a new patch for a week.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

I had an email from Rift after I cancelled my sub after two months from launch. So... yea. There isn't a MMO that does not pester players who have left and offer them things to get them to come back an re-sub.

Quote Originally Posted by paperfire View Post
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-layi...report-6371851

The Old Republic did not meet internal sales estimates and is facing declining subscription numbers."

Does it look like SWTOR is turning out to be another failed MMO?
    the problem was is that Bioware had their expectations for the game very high, I believe their estimate for people buying the game was around 10 mil, about 3 mil bought it,(and about 1.7mil subscribed to it) so in their mind it did terrible, but thats actually second in the MMO area right now.
    Last edited by jd14256; 2012-04-17 at 03:29 AM.

Considering that EA is giving all accounts with a level 50 a free month, things can't be going well.

Quote Originally Posted by jd14256 View Post
    the problem was is that Bioware had their expectations for the game very high, I believe their estimate for people buying the game was around 10 mil, about 5 mil bought it, so in their mind it did terrible, but thats actually second in the MMO area right now.
    Don't forget that players also had their expectations set very high, and when those expectations weren't met they quit or went back to whatever game they were previously playing. The game was hyped to something it never was, and never could be. The same thing happens to many new MMOS, people expect a lot, and when it doesn't live up to the expectations they have they get mad, leave, and move on to the next game.

Don't forget that players also had their expectations set very high, and when those expectations weren't met they quit or went back to whatever game they were previously playing. The game was hyped to something it never was, and never could be. The same thing happens to many new MMOS, people expect a lot, and when it doesn't live up to the expectations they have they get mad, leave, and move on to the next game.
    This I agree with. So many people 'give in' to the hype machine, even when the hype isn't from the company itself.

There's a reason EA was voted as worst company.

Quote Originally Posted by jd14256 View Post
    the problem was is that Bioware had their expectations for the game very high, I believe their estimate for people buying the game was around 10 mil, about 3 mil bought it,(and about 1.7mil subscribed to it) so in their mind it did terrible, but thats actually second in the MMO area right now.
    I don't think they ever thought 10 million people would buy it... That would just be absolutely silly.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Began playing SWTOR, I am genuinely enjoying it. However, in order for an MMORPG to be more "significant" it needs to be able to suck people in; I can not speak for everyone but the people I know who play and myself are not as absorbed into the game as we were with EQ/WoW, your character just does not feel as close to you. Which is very weird considering in SWTOR Bioware did a very good job of allowing you to make decisions. The subscriptions will likely stabilize in the low million(s) after MoP launches, I would certainly not call it a failure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    There's a reason EA was voted as worst company.
    This. It has nothing to do with Bioware, or ToR, or anything else, it's the fact that anything EA touches turns to garbage. EA is a terrible company, and needs to hurry up and file for bankruptcy already. Unfortunately that won't happen, since people keep feeding them money. I with BW had released ToR through, hell, ANY other company besides EA. I don't care if EA has absolutely zero say on what happens in ToR, it has EA on its title, so it's doomed to failure by proxy.

Also, ToR is doing just fine. I logged in for the first time in months, and my server was still going strong. My guild alone had almost doubled in population, 61 up to 116. We don't allow alts in the guild, so those are each individual players. The game still has its bugs and quirks, sure, but it seems to be going fine.

Kinda getting tired of these 'doom and gloom' threads several months after ANY MMO that isn't WoW gets released. What's coming out next, TERA Online? I'm sure in a year we'll be seeing "TERA failing?" threads. All the people who started those threads on Rift should be putting their foot in their mouth, as Rift is doing just fine. I still play it today, and they release patches and additions like nobody's business. Trion's really on the ball with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Not surprised. The sad thing is, I wanted to see the game do well, while I'm no fan of EA...their customer service and website plain suck. You can tell a ton of time and dedication went into the game. I was really hoping it would take off and be a success.

Deleted
    Doesn't really surprise me. After being excited for it since the very first announcement of the game (6 years?) Something like that, I was really let down by the end game content. I enjoyed the leveling, I loved my characters rotation and the community was really amazing. It was rare that you didn't run into really friendly people and anyone who could help out. Where I went off the game is when me and my friends clear'd all the flashpoints and 1 operation (heroics) I personally found them pretty boring. Don't get me wrong some of the mechanics one the boss fights was really fun but I just couldn't grasp the game. The PvP was disastrous in my opinion. I didn't like any of the 3 BG's.

I all honesty I miss the game since I quit a few months ago, I would like to see myself going back to it a few patches later, but let's see about that one. I hope it picks itself up!

10+ Year Old Account
    Analytical Response

They probably laid off a lot of extra people hired to push the game out. (voice actors get hired and laid off a lot)

Hypochondriac Response

It's failing probably for the reason people wanted it not to fail: To beat WoW.

It should just follow Rift's model and do it's own thing. Maybe they'll get "fake awards from sell-out reviewer companies". I know that sounds harsh, but that's pretty much how things work these days.

I'm really scared for Terra for this reason. They'll fall victim to "You're not trying hard enough to beat WoW!". GW2 doesn't worry me, because their competition will be with the other F2P monster coming out this year.
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2012-04-17 at 03:57 AM.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

I think you guys are really just biased. It's obvious that you have a lot of favoritism towards World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2. If you'd just look at the depth that SWTOR has to offer, you'd see it's superiority. EA has made an amazing game that, I feel, is unappreciated.

If Swtor is failing, its because people are tired of the old model of things to do at 50 and are looking for a fresh approach, not a Wow clone. Some game producers just don't realize that if people wanted to play Wow, they would play Wow and not your new MMO. They need to do something about level 50 if they want the game to retain subs. A great single player experience will get you a 2 month sub, a great end game experience will get you a few years at least.

Another WoW killer to add to the 'lolhype' list.

Not surprised. I never understood the sci-fi MMO concept.

Interested to see how well GW2 will do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    WoW's been loosing subs, why wouldn't WoWinspace lose them as well once most people have been through it's only redeeming quality: the story. Not saying SWTOR is a bad game, just that it's the same old worn out mmorpg model as WoW and the rest, so why would it retain people?
    This is pretty much how I look at it. I would never go so far as to make predictions or assumptions about how a game will do in the long run, but SWTOR just didn't hook me and I couldn't see any reason to continue playing it beyond my initial play time. I'd guess I'm not the only one who thinks this way.