Thread: SWTOR failing?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    This. It has nothing to do with Bioware, or ToR, or anything else, it's the fact that anything EA touches turns to garbage. EA is a terrible company, and needs to hurry up and file for bankruptcy already. Unfortunately that won't happen, since people keep feeding them money. I with BW had released ToR through, hell, ANY other company besides EA. I don't care if EA has absolutely zero say on what happens in ToR, it has EA on its title, so it's doomed to failure by proxy.

Also, ToR is doing just fine. I logged in for the first time in months, and my server was still going strong. My guild alone had almost doubled in population, 61 up to 116. We don't allow alts in the guild, so those are each individual players. The game still has its bugs and quirks, sure, but it seems to be going fine.

Kinda getting tired of these 'doom and gloom' threads several months after ANY MMO that isn't WoW gets released. What's coming out next, TERA Online? I'm sure in a year we'll be seeing "TERA failing?" threads. All the people who started those threads on Rift should be putting their foot in their mouth, as Rift is doing just fine. I still play it today, and they release patches and additions like nobody's business. Trion's really on the ball with this.
    I'd really like to know where this mentality comes from. Every EA game I've ever played has been a positive experience. I personally don't think it has anything to do with the publisher, but rather the Star Wars fanboy crowd and the WoW hater's club over hyping a game that in reality people should have held reservations for. I personally looked at a bunch of things and went "Ok... So WoW has that too... Why should I be so excited?"

I am the type that is put off by a company purposely calling out another company and saying "we're coming for you. watch out". If you're really that threatening they'll see you in their rearview mirror and get prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    Another WoW killer to add to the 'lolhype' list.

Not surprised. I never understood the sci-fi MMO concept.

Interested to see how well GW2 will do.
    It'll be added to that list soon enough. It's so overhyped that it's bound to fail.

Not shocked here. It had/has so much potential, but they sunk more money into voice acting then quality. Anyone remember that Ex employee interview before release explaining why it would fail? Kudos to that guy, he was right.

15+ Year Old Account
    EA really blew it with the direction they decided to take the game... so much voice acting, so much effort into the questing aspect when the successful, proven model had been make leveling as painless as possible and drive end game and good PVP content.

I tried hard... very hard to like that game but every time I had to FF through BS quest dialogue it killed me a little. I kept thinking all this wasted voice acting - and I get that they wanted to do it K's of years before the original SW so they could get creative and build lore but no one can relate to the characters - no one has an emotional attachment to any of the lore in that game. Why the hell would you ever create a game, call it star wars and then not put the emotional anchors like Luke fucking Skywalker and Han for fucks sake Solo in it? LOTRO didn't decide to create an MMO around the Silmirillion or some other story that happened way before hand... why? because nobody gives a dead rat's ass about what happened in middle earth before Bilbo and then Frodo and the ring. Just my opinion here, but swtor will go down as one massive blunder.

Shame really. SW Galaxies now this. Fuck.

wowfanboy jack offs. willing something that isnt wow to die? really? no fu**in way reallY?

at least blizzard smartened up and started selling this community of angry, hateful, whiny pukes everything from beta access to pets to mounts, things they used to give away from free... if i worked for blizz and had to read and listen to the incessant bitching and whining from the community of delusionals I would want to financially bleed these whine-bags as much as possible too.

BACK ON THE GEAR TREADMILL WOW-DELUSIONALS AND GET OUT YOUR CREDIT CARDS TIME TO SELL YOU SOME DIGITAL ITEMS. $25 BUCKS A POP YEE HAWWW!!

Please don't insult other posters. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-04-17 at 04:39 AM.

SWTOR would be a great game if it worked. Legacy system was a pretty big letdown, but it's kinda neat for what it does. The biggest problem SWTOR has is the sheer number of bugs in their content. They're constantly breaking things in both the PVE and PVP games.

We had a guild of 8 close friends that was running the content from release. Leveling was fun, 4-mans were fun, and raiding was fun until it got to a point where the content was so broken it was literally impossible to complete. Having a boss break and prevent you from continuing week in and week out sucks the life out of the game fast.

Tonight we went in to play with the new 1.2 raid and were met with a similar thing. Poor design decisions (heavily anti-melee) and game-breaking bugs (arguably the most important mechanic of the counter requires seeing a targeting circle that is simply invisible due to a bug) left us with the same feeling as we had pre-patch. We likely won't even bother playing during our free month, and all our accounts are cancelled.

Great potential, but the sheer number of show-stopping bugs in the gameplay is unreal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    Well remember, not doing as well as WoW does not mean failing.
    yes, because even blizzard continues to fight the "fail bug." If it wasn't for the growth during TBC, blizzard would not have a fail-safe "blanket" to fall back on, but for a game that still has to fight for that 1 million subs mark it is a difficult task to stay afloat.

Just look at the math, blizz has lost over 2million subs over the past year... that is more subs than what EA gained from TOR in the first few months combined. That is double what blizz got when WoW released 8yrs ago as well.

but personally, I think TOR had potential to do well for itself, but that patch that came out ruined pvp and ruined the entire game almost. Nevertheless, it still had to fight the notion that its hard to make a faction-based MMO with pvp when there is a bias towards one faction.

Quote Originally Posted by mupto View Post
    wowfanboy jack offs. willing something that isnt wow to die? really? no fu**in way reallY?

at least blizzard smartened up and started selling this community of angry, hateful, whiny pukes everything from beta access to pets to mounts, things they used to give away from free... if i worked for blizz and had to read and listen to the incessant bitching and whining from the community of delusionals I would want to financially bleed these whine-bags as much as possible too.

BACK ON THE GEAR TREADMILL WOW-DELUSIONALS AND GET OUR YOUR CREDIT CARDS TIME TO SELL YOU SOME DIGITAL ITEMS. $25 BUCKS A POP YEE HAWWW!!
    In my opinion it's good if SWTOR fails. EA thought they could make a WoW clone, add voice acting and a Star Wars license and then rake in mega profits. By SWTOR failing, we are showing the video game industry that we don't want WoW clones, and a $200 million budget won't change that. We want new innovative MMOs. Besides, if I wanted a WoW clone I would just play WoW, it does the job far better.

And by the way I can't stand WoW. I haven't been subscribed in months.

Quote Originally Posted by mupto View Post

BACK ON THE GEAR TREADMILL WOW-DELUSIONALS AND GET OUT YOUR CREDIT CARDS TIME TO SELL YOU SOME DIGITAL ITEMS. $25 BUCKS A POP YEE HAWWW!!
    God, at least someone gets it. I was worried we were surrounded by WoW kiddies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if you guys noticed, but MMORPGs games are more willing to give players incentives to play their game. Its the sign of a healthy market because competition gives players choices, developers have to win a players decisions. SWTOR will be fine over the next couple of years. Its a game for new MMORPG games and Star Wars fans, there is more than enough people to keep the lights on. Also if you want to start the doom and gloom, WoW has lost more subs than any MMORPG on the market over the past years. Blizzard has also made several cuts to the WoW team over the past years. WoW still has a very healthy 3-5 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bioware wasn't ready for an MMO. Simple as that.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Yeah, closing this. Not only is it in the wrong section, but it's gone bad places very quickly.