Thread: SWTOR failing?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

SWTOR failing?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-layi...report-6371851

According to this story, EA is laying off 500-1000 workers soon. What immediately caught my attention was this paragraph:

"The story is written by former EA employee and Burnout franchise product manager Derek Andersen and cites multiple sources within the company for the news. Andersen pointed to a variety of contributing factors for the cuts, noting that the massively multiplayer online role-playing game Star Wars: The Old Republic did not meet internal sales estimates and is facing declining subscription numbers."

Does it look like SWTOR is turning out to be another failed MMO?

Well remember, not doing as well as WoW does not mean failing. I still think it will be a strong contender for #2 for years down the road.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Good thing I check these forums or I would never realize that I really don't like SWTOR and need to cancel my subscription...I never would have got that impression just from playing it.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    if it follows Rift course, it will get better, continu releasing content, and stabilize/modest growth in numbers of subscriptions. Given that, it is still a relative failure vs the amount of expectations/hype that surrounded its development and release.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

If I only based it on the amount of people that I personally know that went to play it and have already cancelled their subscriptions I would say, yes, it is already failing. If the reports in that article are correct then, yes, again.

The story is written by former EA employee
    stopped short of confirming the layoffs.
    Yea...this is just a poor attempt at stirring up a "story".

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I got an e-mail that invited me back for free for a week. Might be desperate. It really wasn't bad, they had quite a few bugs and the gameplay is different than WoW, but I enjoyed it, I just personally don't have enough time in the day, but yet I'm on here. . .

WoW's been loosing subs, why wouldn't WoWinspace lose them as well once most people have been through it's only redeeming quality: the story. Not saying SWTOR is a bad game, just that it's the same old worn out mmorpg model as WoW and the rest, so why would it retain people?

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/rumou...layoffs/094475

Publisher EA has denied an unsubstantiated report claiming that it is on the verge of announcing between 500-1,000 job losses after the story spread like the wildfire across the internet this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    Well remember, not doing as well as WoW does not mean failing. I still think it will be a strong contender for #2 for years down the road.
    No one even mentioned WoW. And it won't be, subscriptions will slowly decline and the game will most likely go F2P. The game just came out several months ago and they're already sending emails saying "We miss you, please come back!" If that doesn't sound like a game that is on a downward spiral I don't know what does.

/sigh.

If you want to argue about SWTOR failing or succeeding, there is an entire subforum to do it in.

I think this is less of a "OMG SWTOR IS FAILING" to more of a its just stabilizing from the initial hype. Its the same thing that happens a lot with newer mmos, especially ones that people start dubbing the "WoW killer". Subs will probably drop off for a little longer then stabilize. I play both WoW and SWtoR myself and enjoy both games in different aspects.
    People are just looking for reasons to say this is dying out.

Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    if it follows Rift course, it will get better, continu releasing content, and stabilize/modest growth in numbers of subscriptions. Given that, it is still a relative failure vs the amount of expectations/hype that surrounded its development and release.
    Rift has a few advantages though -- 1) its original IP w/o and licensing fees, and 2) the budget for Rift was very closely managed and Trion is already profitable.

SW:TOR is estimated anywhere from $120-300m development costs. They're going to have to run it for a very, very long time before it breaks even.

they made a big mistake releasing an incomplete product. they had the chance to grab a huge chunk of mmo players but they screwed it up and now they are gone.

It hasn't "failed" until it shuts down its servers. Even going F2P wouldn't mean it failed. So no, I don't think SWTOR is failing and I don't think it will.

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    No one even mentioned WoW. And it won't be, subscriptions will slowly decline and the game will most likely go F2P. The game just came out several months ago and they're already sending emails saying "We miss you, please come back!" If that doesn't sound like a game that is on a downward spiral I don't know what does.
    All subscription games do this. It's not unique to SW:ToR. Hell, I quit WoW once, and within 3 weeks got an e-mail for a free week if I came back, and that was in Wrath, their highest subscription period.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    Rift did the same thing, really people just cause a game company is trying to keep players doesn't mean it is dying.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    It's only obvious as they recently made their free to play time longer. I've played SWTOR and I don't find anything special about it at all. Whenever I start playing it I start thinking, 'WoW in space' and I log out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    All subscription games do this. It's not unique to SW:ToR. Hell, I quit WoW once, and within 3 weeks got an e-mail for a free week if I came back, and that was in Wrath, their highest subscription period.
    You seem to have failed to realize through the rainbows and butterflies the part where I said "The game just came out several months ago".