Speed or distance first?

I've been banned from running or doing any strenuous exercise for about a year. I've recently had the all clear to get back at it from my Doctor and am looking for a little advice.

Before I had to stop running I was running 5k in about 28 minutes on a good day and I was working toward 10k (my long run was up to 9.5K). I've been back exercising for about a month. I started on the exercise bike and cross trainer and this last week I've started running again. My 5k time is 32 minutes dead (I timed myself this morning) and aside from a small blister* I feel great, despite having run 5k in a similar time yesterday too.

My question is this, should I keep plugging away at the 5k until I'm back to my usual pace, or shall I ignore my pace and work toward improving my distance? I'd really love to do the Admiral 10K in Swansea this Autumn after having to pull out of last years due to my health issues, but I'm worried that even if I get the distance I'll be ridiculously slow doing it.

tl,dr: Run to get my 5k faster or work toward 10k.

ps. I know I'm not speedy at the best of times, I just don't want to embarrass myself.

*I won't forget to wear my running socks again!

Deleted
    Distance is usually where I go to first.

Reach the distance, then work on timing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Distance is usually where I go to first.

Reach the distance, then work on timing.
    Pretty much this!

As the others have said - distance first. Get adjusted to the full 10k before worrying about how fast you can do it - especially since you've had time off. Work the lungs more than the legs if you know what I mean.

I'll echo the rest of the people: Distance conditioning first. Alternatively, you could try doing a couple other things:

1) See how far you go going at a sustainable high speed in 15/20 mins rather than worrying about hitting the 5k. Gradually increase time.
    2) Interval training: First 10 minutes... 1 min slow speed, 1 min max speed, 1 min slow, 1 min max, etc. Then set a pace for the next 30 minutes you can sustain.

Our bodies get used to doing the same routine if we only provide it the same routine. Same with lifting weights.

Thanks I guess I'll start upping my distance on my long run and see how I go and maybe try and get a little more pace on my short run. I'm running 3 times a week at the moment, once my gym membership expires (I go to the gym 3 times a week) I'll be running all 6 days that I exercise which is what I used to do. The 10k I want to enter isn't until october so I have plenty of time.