Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    If the items were that easy to get... they wouldnt be worth anything.

youd be suprised about wow. accounts in vanilla were sold for up to and over 1000$.

still, I think game items will go for much less in D3.

I mean, if your one of the first people farming inferno on HC mode? those loots could be very lucrative. but its for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    I very highly doubt it. High end WoW accounts that were decked out sold for less when the game was more popular. I don't see anything selling for over 250 dollars no matter how rare it is.
    Chars were a lot more than that in tbc, avg was like 1500.

Never underestimate what are people ready to do to get high end gear. Especially in Diablo.
    People above me are right. Accounts in vannila went for 1000+ euros. I know few rogues that sold their accounts with legendary daggers for close to 2000 euros recently. Also, I am GM of 25 man 8/8 heroic guild. We are selling Dragon Soul heroic gear. If I would tell you what kind of offers we are getting for the items that will be worthless in 3 months time you would be shocked. People treat WoW/will treat Diablo 3 as their hobbies. People tend to spend money on their hobbies. Don't underestimate that.

Deleted
    No sane person would dump the price of a decent notebook for an item in a videogame that cost them a tenth as much. No sane person, at least.
    If you've got six figures on your bank account, if you buy cars instead of notebooks, if a piece of your clothing costs hundreds of dollars, then why not throw $500 on something else you want, even if it is just a piece of virtual gear?

Are you perhaps saying that rich people aren't sane? You can't be saying rich people don't play computer games, because we all know for a proven fact that they do. There are plenty of trust fund kids out there, plenty of young people who like playing games, who have a weekly allowance bigger than most of our yearly salaries.

What good does that $500 do sitting on your bank account? "Save it for a rainy day"? What if you die before it rains again? I mean sure, if you've got other expenditures you absolutely need that money for, then of course most of them will trump spending the money on a virtual item, but if it's just excess cash, money you'd spend on something anyway, something like a week's vacation in some horrible tourist trap for example, then who cares what you spend it on?

So yeah, it's more than likely that if the supply of rare items isn't high, prices of items will stay up, and people will buy them. The demand is there, that's obvious, so it's just a question of how high the supply is.

Talking about sanity, I personally think it's insane to give money an inherent value.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    If you've got six figures on your bank account, if you buy cars instead of notebooks, if a piece of your clothing costs hundreds of dollars, then why not throw $500 on something else you want, even if it is just a piece of virtual gear?

Are you perhaps saying that rich people aren't sane? You can't be saying rich people don't play computer games, because we all know for a proven fact that they do. There are plenty of trust fund kids out there, plenty of young people who like playing games, who have a weekly allowance bigger than most of our yearly salaries.

What good does that $500 do sitting on your bank account? "Save it for a rainy day"? What if you die before it rains again? I mean sure, if you've got other expenditures you absolutely need that money for, then of course most of them will trump spending the money on a virtual item, but if it's just excess cash, money you'd spend on something anyway, something like a week's vacation in some horrible tourist trap for example, then who cares what you spend it on?

So yeah, it's more than likely that if the supply of rare items isn't high, prices of items will stay up, and people will buy them. The demand is there, that's obvious, so it's just a question of how high the supply is.
    I never said it wouldn't happen. It will be extremely unlikely. The number of people you described playing the game will be small.

Talking about sanity, I personally think it's insane to give money an inherent value.
    Subjectivity doesn't take precedence over reason.

Deleted
    Subjectivity doesn't take precedence over reason.
    Which is exactly why you can't define sanity based on your own personal opinion, hence saying someone spending $500 (or whatever a decent notebook is worth) on a virtual item is not sane doesn't really mean anything.

I'm expressing my opinion. You can have your own without walking all on mine, thank you very much.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole
    It's not like I think someone should be institutionalized for it.
    Well, calling people insane (or "not sane") for spending some sum of money on anything is one of those "opinions" people tend to often have, yet one the world would be a better place without.

I never said it wouldn't happen.
    I don't see anything selling for over 250 dollars no matter how rare it is.
    Well, my mistake then. I thought when you said that you don't see it happening, it meant you were saying it won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantino View Post
    if your one of the first people farming inferno on HC mode? those loots could be very lucrative. but its for good reason.
    HC won't have access to the RMAH, so loots from inferno on HC wouldn't be worth any real money.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-04-18 at 11:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Chars were a lot more than that in tbc, avg was like 1500.
    I find that extremely difficult to believe. On average? Can you cite that?

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 11:04 PM ----------

Which is exactly why you can't define sanity based on your own personal opinion, hence you saying someone spending $500 on a virtual item is not sane doesn't really mean anything.
    I'm not defining anything. I'm expressing my opinion. You can have your own without walking on mine, thank you very much.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole
    It's not like I think someone should be institutionalized for it.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-04-18 at 11:09 PM.

Ppl used to pay a lot for SoJs on ebay so there might be a market for some of the items. I personally cant see buying anything with real money but thats me. Im not the type of person to buy a mount, pet or whatever it is but clearly thousands of ppl are, those same ppl will buy up all the gear they can. I know of somebody that paid 200 bucks for a ZA bear back in BC so he could act like he earned it while sitting in town.

The lack of some large public area for the sad in game ego ppl to show off items will limit some of the market though. Ppl wont be able to sit in Org or SW and hope ppl see their shinny gear. Like any market though new or rare things will fetch a decent price. Then again it will only take a few idiots to inflate or crash the market for awhile as well.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is paypal the only way to use this system. If it is then there is yet another reason i wont bother with it

10+ Year Old Account

Well, my mistake then. I thought when you said that you don't see it happening meant you were saying it won't happen.
    No, I meant not happening very often at all. As in, rare enough that you'll probably never observe it happening personally unless you are the buyer.

I find that extremely difficult to believe. On average? Can you cite that?[COLOR="red"]
    I would have to get 4 year old web cashe's so i doubt it. Others will tell you the same. I think there was a website that would price check your char if you wanted to sell, based on items. It was a long time ago, now you can just RAF or something and pay for runs, much cheaper.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azragarn View Post
    Is paypal the only way to use this system. If it is then there is yet another reason i wont bother with it
    As far as I know, PayPal is exactly the only way to cash out money from the RMAH. I personally wish they'd have some other system, a system where your account doesn't get randomly frozen after which you're forced to send scans of your ID, electricity bill and whatnot to PayPal to open it back up again.

A friend got his PayPal account frozen after buying a few things from eBay during the timespan of one year, and after I heard of this "freezing", I asked around a bit and did a bit of digging, and it would seem there's not much logic behind when people get their accounts frozen.

Will be fun to see how many people playing Diablo 3 start complaining about these freezes.

Others will tell you the same.
    I was an op on #wow in Quakenet back in vanilla/TBC times, and the owner of #wow also ran #wow.trade, in which this illegal trading took place. I wasn't too happy about it so I didn't hang around on that channel a lot, but I did stay there enough, and talk to the other ops on #wow enough to know that prices of characters did reach four figures, and there were a couple cases of real drama when someone blew a grand on a character and the owner of the account took it back with the security question.

Can't say the average was as high as that but the prices were high indeed. The thought of selling my whole account did cross my mind once or twice, but I knew it would only end badly. Could've gotten all my money back and then some though.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-04-18 at 11:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, calling people insane (or "not sane") for spending some sum of money on anything is one of those "opinions" people tend to often have, yet one the world would be a better place without.
    It's a very common figure of speech in the US. I can't speak for Finland. So don't take it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    The lack of some large public area for the sad in game ego ppl to show off items will limit some of the market though. Ppl wont be able to sit in Org or SW and hope ppl see their shinny gear. Like any market though new or rare things will fetch a decent price. Then again it will only take a few idiots to inflate or crash the market for awhile as well.

with a touch less attitude, I think this is a VERY important point. MMOs did change the landscape since D2 was out, having great gear was a real big "notch" in MMOs, you could show off the shinyness, you could also go feel powerful in 5mans, participate in organized guilds... the opportunities to feel special through gear were pretty significant.

I think the lack of community in D3 may curb the value. At best you can come brag about something on a web forum...

I guess you could roll yourself back to normal mode for a minute and join a game and show off...

I personally think that the system will be very unpopular at first. I think a lot of people will be skeptic about the idea of spending money to put auctions up that may not be bought. whether they sell or not, the person putting the auction up will pay money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by falinn View Post
    I personally think that the system will be very unpopular at first. I think a lot of people will be skeptic about the idea of spending money to put auctions up that may not be bought. whether they sell or not, the person putting the auction up will pay money.
    I personally think it will bomb. People will spend real amounts only on rare items, and everything else will simply never sell.

As far as I know, PayPal is exactly the only way to cash out money from the RMAH. I personally wish they'd have some other system, a system where your account doesn't get randomly frozen after which you're forced to send scans of your ID, electricity bill and whatnot to PayPal to open it back up again.

A friend got his PayPal account frozen after buying a few things from eBay during the timespan of one year, and after I heard of this "freezing", I asked around a bit and did a bit of digging, and it would seem there's not much logic behind when people get their accounts frozen.

Will be fun to see how many people playing Diablo 3 start complaining about these freezes.

I was an op on #wow in Quakenet back in vanilla/TBC times, and the owner of #wow also ran #wow.trade, in which this illegal trading took place. I wasn't too happy about it so I didn't hang around on that channel a lot, but I did stay there enough, and talk to the other ops on #wow enough to know that prices of characters did reach four figures, and there were a couple cases of real drama when someone blew a grand on a character and the owner of the account took it back with the security question.

Can't say the average was as high as that but the prices were high indeed. The thought of selling my whole account did cross my mind once or twice, but I knew it would only end badly. Could've gotten all my money back and then some though.
    Geared lvl70, not a char who just dinged, some achieve's mounts etc. Keep in mind i was only looking at first page but i think i saw one for 2500.

People said wow chars are actually worth money so i looked into it, was feeling cocky with my fresh 70 in two greens Didnt sell my only char but was nice to see her avg sold price for gear of same quality.

Was a different game back then, gear was hard as hell to get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind i was only looking at first page but i think i saw one for 2500.
    How do you know it sold?

No idea, but the asking price inspired me to gear up

D3 may bring back that same feeling.

Looks like servers are back up with a fresh char wipe. Anyone wanna make a new char?

10+ Year Old Account
    How are the gold sellers, and just all around scammers going to be handled in D3? Seeing as how ACTUAL money will be used. Wouldn't that amount to larceny? Like frauding Paypal or something?
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.