Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Exclamation Why it is Okay to Judge Other Races.

A paper I am typing for my English class in college. I will provide a link to the article I cited from at the bottom.

Are different races really more tolerant of each other today? It is frequently thought that human races are more tolerant of each
    other today that they were in the past; however, this is a delusion. There is just as much intolerance and indifference today as there was in the
    past.

In Nicholas D. Kristof article “Americas History of Fear” he claims that, Americans have been intolerant or indifferent to new comers in
    the past out of fear. Kristof writes “The starting point isn’t hatred but fear: an alarm among patriots that newcomers don’t share the
    same vales, […] and may harm innocent Americans.” What Kristof is implying is that, people who judge other races are not doing so out
    of spite, but rather have genuine concerns as to why they are passing judgment on others. However, in certain cases these concerns
    prove valid. Take for example the events of September 11th 2001 when a group of Muslim extremists hijacked a pair of air planes and
    flew them into the world trade center. Immediately after this incident occurred there was a large amount of anti-Muslim sentiment in the
    United States. Many Americans were passing judgment on people of Arabian decent, and while it is a bad thing to judge an entire race
    for the actions of a small group of extremists, it is necessary because the extremist groups exist inside the veil of the entire Muslim
    communities. Because of this, Americans were forced to judge the Muslim community as a whole. Sometimes it is difficult to easily
    differentiate the good guys from the bad guys, and as a result it is acceptable for people to judge entire races equally in order to weed out
    groups of extremists and prevent harm to innocent civilians. Because Americans occasionally judge entire races this way, it is a
    staple reason why intolerance and indifferent has not improved in our modern age.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/05/op...tof.html?_r=1&
    Last edited by sandmoth12; 2013-04-14 at 03:06 PM.

Deleted
    Sorry, but that is really difficult to read.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Sorry, but that is really difficult to read.
    We'll I can't indent and double space like I would normally do on a paper. I'll try to edit it so that it is more readable.

10+ Year Old Account
    First off, September 11 was 2001, not 2009. Secondly, just because someone from a particular group did something bad doesn't mean it's "okay" to lay your prejudices against the whole group.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    We'll I can't indent and double space like I would normally do on a paper. I'll try to edit it so that it is more readable.
    Much better, thanks. I both agree and disagree in a way with what you are saying. On one hand we are obviously much more tolerant than we were in the past, the fact we are no longer lynching inter racial couples is proof of that but we have a long way to go. Stereotypes will be around for a very long time after this generation is gone, as long as stereotypes exist there will always be some bias.

Your facts are wrong, your prose is horrible, your logic is faulty and on top of all of that, you are citing an op-ed as the basis of your paper. What are you hoping for by posting that here? Constructive criticism? Direction? Proof-reading? Debate?

My suggestion would be to take a deep breath, close your eyes and count to 10. Then open your document in microsoft word, hit Ctrl+A, then Del, and start over.

Deleted
    I don't agree with the quote. You gave the example of muslims hyjacking the planes. But what about full born americans who go on shooting sprees? Or do people only judge others and don't care about their own fanatics?
    While I do agree that people judge others based on fear, it is not fear based on certain actions of fanatics, these are just used to make their fear more solid. They feel fear from others because others are not the same as them, and most people dislike difference in looks, actions and opinions even if it does not harm them at all. Take for example homosexuals. What they think and do does not harm others, yet there are people who still dislike them. Why? Because they're different then them.

Funny enough, democracy should be about accepting other beliefs, looks, actions as long as they don't harm anyone else, but it doesn't work so well in practice. In many cases the majority uses their power to force the minority to adapt to their ideas or be exiled. This already happened in non-democratic societies, but you can put the lack of democracy on the line there, but democratic societies have little excuse.

The fact remains, people try to judge other groups different then theirs based not on fear of their actions, but on the fear of the possibilities of their actions. Anti-gay people think that one day all people will be gay, anti-muslim think all people will be radical terrorists etc. This fear is irrational and stupid, but people with little education do not understand this.

I just illustrated exactly why it is okay to do that.
    You did no such thing. You merely made an unfounded assertion. That is far different from a logical conclusion or a supported argument.

Deleted
    No, it is not OK, any prejudice is a bad thing no matter what your reasoning is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tolerance is a lie. you always look after our own, even if you consider yourself a tolerant person. Xenophobia is a part of the human condition. It takes a strong will to overcome it. I've got a palestinian uncle, and muslim cousins. So they are my grounding view on islam, It isn't all bad.
    Last edited by Khraine; 2013-04-14 at 02:58 PM.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

Deleted
    You explained why it happens, not why it's okay.

Deleted
    No, read deeper I explained exactly why it is okay.
    No, you really did not.

Deleted
    No, read deeper I explained exactly why it is okay.
    "But we have a more glorious tradition intertwined in American history as well, one of tolerance, amity and religious freedom. Each time, this has ultimately prevailed over the Know Nothing impulse."

Even the article you linked disagrees with you.

Look up the concept of cultural relativism. It's an important one for any of us living after the 1800s

The field of anthropology has a multitude of reasons your arguments don't hold water. One small point- the concept of race cannot even be defined biologically because there exists more genetic diversity within races than between them. This means two white people will likely be more biologically different than a white person and a black person. Race can only defined as a cultural construct.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, that's wrong. You can't condemn all Muslims because of the actions of extremists. Just like you can't condemn all Catholics because of the actions of some sick priests. Yes, there is a danger within the Muslim community where terrorists might lurk, but that danger exists among ALL ethnicities and religions and groups, and you can't lay guilt for the entire group based on the fear that a few bad eggs might be hiding with in. That sort of paranoia leads to bullshit like the Patriot Act and Homeland Security and "For Your Protection" crap.

I find this post and your avatar ironic. Wasn't it an oppressive intolerant government, one that used fear and paranoia to control the populace something that V fought against?
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khraine View Post
    Tolerance is a lie. you always look after our own, even if you consider yourself a tolerant person. Xenophobia is a part of the human condition. It takes a strong will to overcome it. I've got a palestinian uncle, and muslim cousins. So they are my grounding view on islam, It isn't all bad.
    I'm guilty of being slightly xenophobic. Not that I believe that Europe is going to obey under Sharia Law, more like a majority of muslims being conservative even though I have no factual basis of it. I know it's not true, yet I for whatever reason keep believing it. It is quite the curse.

So no, prejudice isn't okay, no matter how you try to defend it, but I think that having prejudices is something we all have in one shape or another, it's just a matter of realizing that you're wrong and trying to overcome the xenophobic mindset.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Americans are occasionally to judge entire races this way, it is a
    staple reason why intolerance and indifferent has not improved in our modern age.
    Well here's a little constructive insight.
    A little off the topic, is it your belief that it's ok to judge other races (groups of people), or is that just the point that you're arguing?

I think the title should be about cultures not race. Genetics has nothing to do with what you said.

So prejudging strangers to do bad stuff because they are strangers and not part of our society is ok?
    Nothing new here.
    - The example was given with american born people who go on a killing spree. They do not start to prejudge every american because someone did this.
    - A muslim does the same, you prejudge him because he is from the "outside" of the society.

Compare it to a white neighbourhood, you've always lived nice together, and you haven't seen anything but white people around.
    You hear in the news black people rob houses and jump people at night time.
    Now a black family moves in. They are all fine and the entire family follows the law, they have a nice education, got a well respected job, like all the whites in the area.

The white people WILL prejudge the black family, on the simple reason, they watched the news and heard bad things about SOME black people.
    But they do behave nicely? They will still get the cold shoulder from the society.

This is exactly why societies begin to prejudge, because of fear, and something they heard a certain group "do", even tho it's only 1% who are rotten eggs.

(My intention was not to go against the african american race, but to prove a point with factual relevance)
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

Deleted
    Are different races really more tolerant of each other today? It is frequently thought that human races are more tolerant of each other today that they were in the past; however, this is a delusion. There is just as much intolerance and indifference today as there was in the
    past.
    Evidence?

As far as I know, nobody in American politics has suggested to seperate American arabs from non-arabs, nor has anyone suggested to enslave them.

That alone indicates racial acceptance has advances significantly in the past 150 years, at least in the US.

A paper I am typing for my English class in college. I will provide a link to the article I cited from at the bottom.
    F.

I'm not much for political correctness, but your paper is a load of crap. Racism was far more prevalent in the 19th century than it is today.