Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

What caused age of conan to fail

Hey,
    So I was wondering what caused age of conan to fail, it looked nice, nice mmo, good graphics, good gameplay, good animations, so I am suprised why it failed.

Any thoughts ?

Well I only played the beta but it was a buggy snorefest after level 10. I think the beta was probably the worst thing that happened to them actually, so many people put off by tales of how shit it was and believe me, it really was bad in beta. It might have gotten a lot better now but I simply will never try it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was the brutal leveling grind that put a lot of people off.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I think it was the brutal leveling grind that put a lot of people off.
    I hate it when people make assumption without actually knowing what happend just to take part fo the case and feel almighty, no offence but leveling in AoC is easy! You can get max level on some few days.

Deleted
    So here's my story. I have a friend that doesnt like me playing wow so for my birthday he bught me CE Age of conan, I instaled it played till level9-10 and stoped, it just didnt atracted me... i usually now I like a game if I like it the 1st 1 hour of play.

Deleted
    no offence but leveling in AoC is easy! You can get max level on some few days.
    it is NOW easy but it wasnt before
    after release there was no content behind tortage and u had to grind al the day to lvl 80

edit: and funcom dont learned form it - yes lvling from 1-80 is easy and cool now but on lvl 80 you have to grind forever

Deleted
    The first 20 levels were at the time unmatched when it comes to quality in the questing experience.

Once you got of Tortage however the quality was as good as vanilla WoW questing at best, and coupled with buggy combat and blatantly imbalanced classes it was a chore to continue. I stopped at 25.

I played it on and off since release. I'm a PvP player myself so this might be a bit PvP oriented.
    The combat was fun and action paced, but there were gamebreaking bugs like combo-skipping, which made some players attack faster.

I believe they even advertised the game as a PvP oriented one, but most of the newly released content is all PvE. They gave us sieges, but siege were a bug/lag fest. They gave us a PvP zone to fight in (Bori) but it soon turned out that was actually a PvE zone that granted the "winners" with ridiculous buffs that would cause imbalance.
    Not to mention the advantage a player could get from being a high pvp level (and with pvp gear). This is not exaggerating, but I, as a PvP lvl 2 was hitting a PvP lvl 10 for next to no damage while he could 2-3 shot me. I literally took like 30 seconds to get about 20% of his hp down.
    You can imagine what happened when new players, all eager to play PvP (sadly, most of it happened in instances), were teamed up against a premade of PvP 4+ people. No teamwork would help, we were completely destroyed.

The game had Open World PvP and ganking and that's pretty much all I liked about it. It was fun fighting outside for a change, even though the main PvP focus was still in instances. Just encountering random bandit players who tried to end your life on the road to 80 was fun . Other than that, the endgame was boring and way too gear2win.

PvE raids were nothing special, neither was the PvE expansion (which just added more PvE grind).

Don't get me wrong, it's not such a bad game after all, it was just... handled the wrong way, well, still is. Mind you that a lot of the players quit soon after release because there was actually no content after what, lvl 20 and the game was unfinished. They improved that later but failed to get the players back.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    I hate it when people make assumption without actually knowing what happend just to take part fo the case and feel almighty, no offence but leveling in AoC is easy! You can get max level on some few days.
    You know what I hate? You assuming I didn't play the game when it first came out. You know what the game was like back then? There were no quests past 30. If you wanted to level any higher, you had to sit there and farm mobs over and over South Park-WoW episode style. So please, go assume elsewhere.

Deleted
    The built-up expectations that it would easily be the next best thing after World of Warcraft?

Like others are saying, I had fun getting two different glasses up to about 35, but I couldn't just grind grind grind to level cap.

Deleted
    Terrible release, its as simple as that really.

I pre-ordered the game and at one point was probably the games biggest ''fanboy'', putting the bugs and gameplay problems to one side the game just wasn't finished by the time you reached level 25 or so there was no more quests you was forced to farm mobs to level up, it was terrible.

It seems to be the general mistake companies make they always release to early, another 5-6 months in development and I believe Conan would be far better off now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Released too soon.

The first 20 levels were great fun, but it was buggy as hell. You would be in a group, enter a instanced zone and you would be in different zones from your group.

After level 20, the game was a mess. Hardly any content, buggy content and just a basic grind fest if you wanted to level.

I've heard it's great now, but MMOs need a good launch, this one was bad and rushed.

Deleted
    never heard of it. other than MMO forum, im not sure may be there wasnt much public cry for it?

If the arcticle i read was entirely accurate star wars will be the next in line to collapse. I think these games aim to be a WoW killer and thats where they fail imo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    Terrible release, its as simple as that really.

I pre-ordered the game and at one point was probably the games biggest ''fanboy'', putting the bugs and gameplay problems to one side the game just wasn't finished by the time you reached level 25 or so there was no more quests you was forced to farm mobs to level up, it was terrible.

It seems to be the general mistake companies make they always release to early, another 5-6 months in development and I believe Conan would be far better off now.
    I am not fond of game is unfinished but when game isn't unfinished to that point it shouldn't be released at all in my opinion, it should be done that the leveling experience from first to max lvl should be simillar. Not to just kill mobs to lvl up, that is totally bs if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Curanhadin View Post
    If the arcticle i read was entirely accurate star wars will be the next in line to collapse. I think these games aim to be a WoW killer and thats where they fail imo
    Rift was literally the only MMO that used the 'wow-killer' statement. With ads like 'We aren't in Azeroth Anymore' you knew who they were targeting. They are still a successful MMO, and even though I don't play it I understand the Endgame is very fun and they have new content nearly monthly, which is better than any other mmo.

Meanwhile I see TOR as doing fine, but we will hear about Subs on the next EA earnings call. As long as they stay over 1mil concurrent subs the game is profitable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Curanhadin View Post
    Is it hard to fight against a game that is out for more then 7 years you know, if you have your opinion only on that article you are wrong. I can find articles saying that wow will die, that patch is end of wow and etc. It is like saying that cheese is bad before trying it because someone sad it was bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played from launch, the tutorial island (Think it was level 1-10? may be mistaken) well anyways that was awesome, simple to navigate really helped you get used to the game. Then you take a boat to the next zone and its absolutely MASSIVE! there was a single quest giver inside houses that you had to take a 2 minute loading screen to get in and out of. Then you realize the guy was actually in the house above you.. Took agers to find the one guy then when i finally did, that was it.. no more quests? So apparently all you had to do was grind mobs to level. ><

AoC was basically an unfinished game as far as im concerned, i would never go back to it now.

Could of been a good game
    Last edited by Cludo; 2012-04-18 at 10:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    there was no good introduction into the world and the fighting system was extremely bad.
    In the end the winner is still the last man standing.