Poll: Rate the BM concept

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Battle Mage ideas

Credits: Although the mainframe of this class is mine, I should credit mainly Silverrendy, who provided most of the abilities in his battlemage concept in AC-web.org forums. There are also others who contributed without giving permission as well =P, like Aheroarises, who often has very cool and creative ability breakthroughs =).

Battle Magi
    Battlemages are arcane spell casters who accompany soldiers into the heart of battle. The generations of warfare on Azeroth have given battle magi time to hone useful spells into simple and secret rituals, called "battlemagics", which are passed from battle magi to another. They can wield a sword in one hand, and a staff in the other. As battle magi accompany warriors into battle, they become better at defending themselves than other wizards. Players would start in Uldum

●Available Races: Human, Worgen, Orc, Gnome, Forsaken, Blood Elves, Pandaren

●Available Weapons: Two-Handed Swords, One-Handed Swords, Two-Handed Axes, Staff

●Power Resource: Energy and Mana

●Armor: Plate with intellect for all specs and strength for arcane spec

●Requirement:Have a character with revered rep with Kirin Tor and Argent Dawn

Intro

The Battle Magi is a fierce warrior who dominates in team combat as well as fighting for himself. He needs a variety of abilities that allow him to switch between melee combat and casting abilities from a distance, as well as, mixing both.
    The project which is the "embodiment" of this idea will have the Battle Magi be a Hero Class which will be unlocked once you complete certain quests on a high level Mage character. There is a chance you will also need to complete quests on a Warrior character as well

SPECS

Frost: This spec is the crystalized and pristine fusion of melee and medium ranged fighting but with no apparent edge on each. However, it is graced with the best resource generation and management of all specs and has very high high tolerance to damage as well as long long survivability. On top of that it can leave enemies frozen while suffering high dps regularly. Tank spec.

Arcane: This is the ground and pound melee spec, powerful in close range but weak and vulnerable at distance. But the major advantage is the use of magic to crowd control and do things in combat that leave his enemies without response and vulnerable to get beaten without any defense. His ranged spells are mainly for spreading negative effects or to bring buffs to the battle. Dps spec.

Fire:As a fire spec BM, the power that is accessible is devastating and it is used to destroy enemies fast and at range, while leaving the finishing touches to the weapon at hand. The backside is the quick power out and the possibility of getting exhausted due to failed attacks. The good side is that it is also capable of fighting even without hp, if only for a while, when it reaches mastery. Dps spec.

Air:
    A Netherwind Battle Mage is a medium range caster/melee hybrid who draws upon the air and arcane for his cc, damage prevention and damage deflection/reflection capabilities. Air Battle Mages do relatively little DPS but should be considered a high value target on the battlefield for their knack for dramatically shifting the tide of combat by surprise and their skills at finishing off opponents. Tank spec.

Resource(s):

Mana-For all the ranged magic attacks and spells

Energy-For all melee abilities

Fury-Special resource that the BM collects by using certain attacks and abilities. There can be collected up to 6 Hearts of Fury but if they are depleted, the BM will suffer from 50% less energy generation. On the other hand, when 6 Hearts of Fury are active, the BM gains 5% more attack power.

THE WAYS:
    There are two distinct ways that a BM can take in combat. These work just like the DKs presences, but with the difference that they don't affect the BM base stats but instead, his abilities:

Way of the Mage: Spells used will return 10% of the mana spent, 5% instantly and 5% over 5 sec. Also grants 5% more critical strike chance with spells.
    Way of the Warrior: Gains 2,5% base mana for every successful damaging ability made at, or below 8 yds.

Battle Magics: These are stances that comply and complement the previous WAYS, and are used for melee fights in a reactive way. However the BM needs to have full energy. (plz don't mind the names lol)
    Kirin Style:Grants a chance equal to half the critical chance to push the target 10 yds away whenever the BM gets a melee critical hit.
    Argent Style:Grants a chance equal to half the health pool(100% health=50% chance) to blink to a max of 10 yds and take the target down whenever the target starts a new casting. Can only happen once every 20 sec.
    Aldor Style:Grants a chance equal to half the haste to paralyze the target for 5 sec, whenever the BM dodges or parries.

GAMEPLAY EXPLANATION:

The battlemage’s resource I think is every warrior and mage player’s wet dream really =P.
    You have energy for your melee skills and mana for your spells which in itself is already balanced in the same way as other classes. Fury is just a Holy Power sort of second resource.
    Talent Tree ID:70002

http://mop-talent-grid-maker.appspot.com

ABILITIES!

AIR SPEC

ARCANE SPEC

FROST SPEC

FIRE SPEC
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2013-10-31 at 08:51 PM.

Deleted
    Votes open! Give ur opinion plz and if u have any suggestions plz, they are all welcomed

10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of sounds like a cross between a monk and a mage, though the idea of tanking with it is pretty interesting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Kind of sounds like a cross between a monk and a mage, though the idea of tanking with it is pretty interesting.
    Much obliged for the comment =^). Well, I have never played a monk so far, but I do know that they are "supposed" to bring a new and fun gameplay style. For that they use hig dodge and as far as I know, melee attacks. And energy. So yh, I guess u guessed it right lol. the battle magi has some dodging skills, but its mainly a follow up of the other kiting skills, which should be the main playing style of all specs, and further on their sub-specs ^^. It also uses energy to make the gameplay more dynamic and paced, which is something Blizzard promised for the mistweaver and failed... As for the melee aspect of the battle magi, its used maily for defense purposes in the healing and tank spec, but not the dps spec, as it would feel terribly overpowered. The mage dna is pretty much the stronger influence, logically, but whereas the vanilla mage may cast spells from higher ranges and many instantly, the BM has shorter range and has to channel most of those. This makes it a good counter melee, but without some movement speed buffs or special costly spells, it will become a sitting duck for long range classes. I think this balances things no?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am with darth on this, I would love the concept of a cloth wearer tanking; I myself have personally wished there was a geomancer class that used earth to tank with
    Favorite Owned Title: Champion of Ulduar
    Favorite Owned Mount: Ashes of Al'ar
    "Prisoners? Ha. With it bindings unshackled, its gonna' come after us, and we're going to be the prisoners" -- Brann Bronzebeard on Yogg'saron

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestt View Post
    I am with darth on this, I would love the concept of a cloth wearer tanking; I myself have personally wished there was a geomancer class that used earth to tank with
    That can also be arranged, although I feel like it would mess a bit with the lore behind this concept, as it is intended to be a combo between the War mage, Battlemage and Arch mage. War mage is represented with the OH skill that allows the BM to use a 2H staff and a sword, the arch mage is represented on the five schools of magic the BM can control, and the Battlemage would donate his plate armor. Nevertheless, I am inclined into changing it to cloth, and therefore will have to change some spells to become more earth protection driven, and this will be the birth of the BATTLE MAGI! XD
    If u want a geomancer style class, wait till u see my dragon sworn concept =). Or meanwhile check out the DH concept that is in my sig. Cheers
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2012-05-07 at 06:08 PM.

Deleted
    The one major problem with a range tank spec is that the tank will hardly or never receive any damage making the tank effectively OP in every raid encounter that exists currently. How does the Sand Warden combat this? It sounds like a primarily skill spec, no dummy could just play a range tank that kites.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuel View Post
    The one major problem with a range tank spec is that the tank will hardly or never receive any damage making the tank effectively OP in every raid encounter that exists currently. How does the Sand Warden combat this? It sounds like a primarily skill spec, no dummy could just play a range tank that kites.
    Hmm I made the tank thinking about that, so that when it comes to fighting mobs, he has periodic abilities that have to be activated in order to kite them, but that ofc does not apply against bosses, at which point the tank should use its earth magic protection skills, with the setback of suffering a high damage blow due to its cloth armor. That's when the healer comes into action. What do u think =)?

10+ Year Old Account
    interesting idea, would take way tooo much retconning to fit into universe. Or possibly an expansionw ith say the ethereals could introduce the concept.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarespawn2012 View Post
    interesting idea, would take way tooo much retconning to fit into universe. Or possibly an expansionw ith say the ethereals could introduce the concept.
    The inclusion into the universe is a thing that can be done in a day, so to speak. i find ur comment most confusing when u say it's interesting, but then voted complete waste, and the say it would take too much trouble into fitting in the wow and finish off by giving a perfectly possible setting. Something's missing here: T___L

I think the idea is awesome, but it feels like a pipe dream. I don't think anything like that will ever happen! I'd definitely play a BT, though.

thanks this is a great idea

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerAndWar View Post
    thanks this is a great idea
    I'm REALLY glad u liked it lol. btw any suggestions plz bring em here XD.

Don't like the lore concept and HATE the channeled spells idea.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

OK, so I would be willing to let you change my mind if you care to dialog. First, you lost me the moment you used the word "tank".

Battle mages have been NPC's in the game since vanilla. I first ran into them in Scholo live side. They were killers, literally. We used casters to tank them (mages warlocks) while we burned down the others, and when I think of Battle mages, this is the concept I see. A specialized magic user with more limited offensive abilities because they have opted for a defensive style magic. While still susceptible to the sword, the battle mages are especially adept as stopping magical damage, as such accompany the melee to the front line to dampen the enemies magical attacks.

IE: they are not a tank in the classic sense. They are support. VERY strong support. They defend themselves and others against magical attack, while attacking magic classes.

If they put a Bard Mage in the game. That would be so hot!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanker View Post
    OK, so I would be willing to let you change my mind if you care to dialog. First, you lost me the moment you used the word "tank".

Battle mages have been NPC's in the game since vanilla. I first ran into them in Scholo live side. They were killers, literally. We used casters to tank them (mages warlocks) while we burned down the others, and when I think of Battle mages, this is the concept I see. A specialized magic user with more limited offensive abilities because they have opted for a defensive style magic. While still susceptible to the sword, the battle mages are especially adept as stopping magical damage, as such accompany the melee to the front line to dampen the enemies magical attacks.

IE: they are not a tank in the classic sense. They are support. VERY strong support. They defend themselves and others against magical attack, while attacking magic classes.
    OK then, lets start the debate =). I feel ur concerns, and I too know what's the original concept behind the battlemages. but it just so happens that this is NOT a battlemage, it's battle magi. And the difference, I assure u, is more than the vowel switch. This concept is a combo between arch mages and warmages, which are cousins to the battlemage. Next, as u well referred, scholomances battlemages had very limited offensive abilities and opted for defensive magics.... It screams Sand Warden spec. I dont really follow ur issue in this matter, because although I can share the same idea of a battlemage support type of class, that would be unfeasible since every class needs to have a dps spec, as opposed to, in this case, perhaps becoming a pure support class, which it seems is ur idea. Finally, I created rotations in order to make swords fun to use on the dps spec, and also useful for use against melee attackers on the tank. As for the other things u want battlemages to do, they are all there, trust me . PS- The SW is not a tank in the classic sense all the same =)

Complete Waste.
    Shuttle of Illidan

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Driram View Post
    Complete Waste.
    Is that all? No logical argument to back that up? Not a little bit of sense into ur sentence?? Just a tad bit of knowledge to follow ur afirmation??? 1 example only???? Should I ask u politely????? Aren't u confused aswell?????? LOL
    PS: Just revised the GW and is now ready! I hope u like it as much as I do...
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2012-04-24 at 07:07 PM.

Mentally, I could see a magic wielding tank happening. From the perspective of the mobs we fight, their casters are tanks as I always go for the casters first (they have my attention). My issue is with gameplay. A fight tuned for me, a warrior tank, will carry punishing physical damage. My armor mitigates this damage so it can be survived. I cannot picture a mage in cloth armor mitigating the damage needed for effective taking. If you are tanking from range (kiting), you have a serious disadvantage due to the 110% melee rule and 130% ranged rule. Sure, we can say this battlemage gets some incredible absorb shield or other form of mitigation to survive, but I have a hard time accepting this. It is hard enough to accept that shapeshifting creates huge armor, let alone cloth. 98% of the time (or some similar high number), tanking is an in your face adventure. Gimmick fights have been designed otherwise, but they are rare and limited. I have no doubt tuning the threat would not be an issue, I just have my serious doubts about selling mitigation to other players, myself included.