Deleted

Diablo III on a single core CPU?

Topic says all. Will Diablo III run on a single core CPU? Or rather, did anyone manage to run the beta client on a single core CPU?

I am asking this because the minimum requirements specificate a dual core or more CPU but then again it might be an oversight because single cores are so rare to find nowadays.

Deleted
    I got my beta back in September / October 2011, can't remember exactly when. I remember it because I was traveling that same day I had to beta for 1 month away from home.

While I was away I was playing in a Macbook 13" so yeah, I would say so.

Deleted
    Ofcourse it can run
    At decent fps? Maybe not, perhaps if the graphics are totally low and you literally have zero background running.
    But it will be playable, its below the minimum requirements however

Deleted
    The reason I'm asking this is because a friend is stuck with his old single core and apparently won't be able to buy a new rig before release. Also, he told me he tried to play a few more recent games wich simply refused to run because his CPU was single core.

As for FPS... If the game starts, I wonder if it'll be that bad. Just this xmas I replaced my old P4 with an I3. But even with my old P4 I managed to run wow at 1920x1080 with playable frames and fair/good options so you never really know.

Deleted
    I wouldn't count on it - it may run if it's below the min specs but it probably won't. There are a LOT of older graphics cards that simply aren't supported as well, if he has a single core CPU I'm wondering if you've checked if his graphics card is on the supported list or not?

I think that the CPU won't make it totally fail to run, it may run very slow though.... an unsupported graphics card could make it simply not load at all though, so that's the more important thing I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I wouldn't count on it - it may run if it's below the min specs but it probably won't. There are a LOT of older graphics cards that simply aren't supported as well, if he has a single core CPU I'm wondering if you've checked if his graphics card is on the supported list or not?

I think that the CPU won't make it totally fail to run, it may run very slow though.... an unsupported graphics card could make it simply not load at all though, so that's the more important thing I think.
    ^ this.

D3 wont run on a ton of older cards @ launch, and chances are if he's running a single core, he'll have a graphics card that wont be supported by the game itself, so make sure to check his card and look @ the list of supported cards to be certain. its really a tossup on whether it would run on that CPU, its kind of one of those things of "its worth a shot" (it is however lower than system req's for the game @ launch), but the graphics card support is what will really put that "final nail in the coffin" of this topic.

I just tried it by limiting diablo to 1 of my cores and i could still run it.. however it was running at like 20fps on my 4.4ghz i5 @ 1920x1200 with medium settings.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    I just tried it by limiting diablo to 1 of my cores and i could still run it.. however it was running at like 20fps on my 4.4ghz i5 @ 1920x1200 with medium settings.
    and @ that, your graphics card prolly smoke's OP's friends card.

Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    and @ that, your graphics card prolly smoke's OP's friends card.
    Well perhaps a bit, but its just a crappy radeon 5770 atm. I doubt he is running a 1920x1200 screen tho.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2012-04-19 at 07:15 AM.

Well perhaps a bit, but its just a crappy radeon 5770 atm. I doubt he is running a 1920x1200 screen tho.
    prolly true. but 20fps on those specs is pretty bad, i can only imagine it being worse if not even playable on OP's friends machine.

Deleted
    Actually I think his graphics card is semi-decent. Should be a 4xxx series with 1gb DDR3.

It might make it possible running the game at lower settings.... Anyway my real question was wether or not the game would start so I guess that was answered.

Thx

15+ Year Old Account
    Diablo 1 also was in development shortly before 3d daughter cards starting becoming popular and are non-existent today. At that point graphics work was still done by the CPU so you're talking about a system that is probably 14x the clock speed and 100's of times faster on pure computer power. Diablo 1 was released in 1996. Pentium 2's and 3's with 350MHZ and 16mb video cards. An iphone could probably run it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Diablo 1 also was in development shortly before 3d daughter cards starting becoming popular and are non-existent today. At that point graphics work was still done by the CPU so you're talking about a system that is probably 14x the clock speed and 100's of times faster on pure computer power. Diablo 1 was released in 1996. Pentium 2's and 3's with 350MHZ and 16mb video cards. An iphone could probably run it.
    you arent very bright are you. you didn't even read what he said, or your comprehension is lacking. no one mentioned Diablo I. " I just tried it by limiting diablo to 1 of my cores ".. herp derp

Steady 60fps on a 3 year old gtx260.

People really need to understand what video cards actually do before blaming d3.

The laptop story with intergrated graphics that costs $1000 is still amusing though I paid 1000 for my computer last year and it wont run d3, FUBLIZZARD!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin0228 View Post
    you arent very bright are you. you didn't even read what he said, or your comprehension is lacking. no one mentioned Diablo I. " I just tried it by limiting diablo to 1 of my cores ".. herp derp
    Hah, yup I herp derped while sitting on a 2.5 hour conference call.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222