Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

ElvUI leaves Curse - What do you do?

Hello forum,

So I have made up my mind, and I will simply not download any addon that is not maintained through curse. That is THE addon-database of WoW and should stay that way. This is my way of supporting that community and also my way of showing my disgust with tukui for trying make it into a profit organisation, which is ofcourse their right and perfectly understandable. I'm just not following them.
    In short, I'll abandon ElvUI and settle for whatever I find on curse.

If you were/are using elvui, what do you plan to do?

-
    You can consider this rant or free commercial, either would be accurate.

Get it from tukui.org? I know that's where I will go.

edit: Obviously that means I will continue to use it...

I think I missed something. SO elvui went to another website and thats a problem?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    you have a problem with tukui trying to earn some money?
    i see, i heard Curse is a non-profit organisation, that generously gives to the poor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly Elv can't make their UI a profitable organization, considering it's against the Blizzard ToC. They can ask for donations, but that is about it. Curse is not "THE" addon-databse of wow, there are plenty others that are just as popular. Wowinterface and Wowace are used to host addons before they are posted on curse, which 99% of the addons I use have links to those and they update more frequently on those websites.

Me? I used Elvui for a while, and I still like it. I dropped it a few months ago due to his memory drain on the old one, but the new one is much better. I'm thinking of going back to it.

Wow, overreacting much...
    anyway, here's the link: http://www.tukui.org/dl.php

Deleted
    There's another downloader just like Curse Client available on http://tukui.org/dl.php

I can't believe you, Sweetz. Read Elv/Tukz' blogposts.

"That is THE addon-database of WoW and should stay that way."
    -> They're trying harder to get your money. There's plenty other websites aswell.

"trying make it into a profit organisation"
    -> And Curse is not? As said before they're offering you more for your money, based on that one could conclude they're more interested in your money.
    If you the tukui blog you find alot of reasons behind them doing this. Also they've always used external sites for downloading.

If you were/are using elvui, what do you plan to do?
    -> Get their downloader?
    Last edited by mmocd6e7f766d1; 2012-04-19 at 06:10 PM.

Websites, time investment, innovation and education take money. Simply visiting their website with an ad on it helps them put more time to work on it and improve it which takes no time at all. Or you can visit curse and pay them by visiting their website to make more pico videos and not actually improve your addon's physically or help the people making them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Esedess View Post
    you have a problem with tukui trying to earn some money?
    i see, i heard Curse is a non-profit organisation, that generously gives to the poor.

You're right all those random advertisements on curse are there for my entertainment and I am blind to them. Or maybe I am just loyal to keeping all addons in one place to save the entire population of wow the precious minuttes it will take to look for updates in several places instead of just one. Obviously, I choose curse as my "one place".

I never used Curse. Back when I downloaded addons, it was always known as the site that was infected with keyloggers and had bad security.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    You're right all those random advertisements on curse are there for my entertainment and I am blind to them. Or maybe I am just loyal to keeping all addons in one place to save the entire population of wow the precious minuttes it will take to look for updates in several places instead of just one. Obviously, I choose curse as my "one place".
    you seem very dedicated, much respect

Curse is NOT non-commercial, they make a huge profit from other peoples work.

Downloading addons straight from the author's site is actually helping the people who MAKE the addons.

All my support will forever go to Tukz and Elv.

They've developed a UI with an amazingly high level of quality and support, and if they want to try to earn some money from ads, all the power to them. I'll be going to donate after reading this thread.

Lol. Elvui/tukui are one of the best, if not the best uis out there. Is is it just me or is it really stupid to not use them because you're a curse fanboy? Also, curse is not THE holy grail of ui customization, I remember when it used to suck major balls. Trojans, keyloggers and whatnot. Granted, it's fairly decent now.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Lol. Elvui/tukui are one of the best, if not the best uis out there. Is is it just me or is it really stupid to not use them because you're a curse fanboy? Also, curse is not THE holy grail of ui customization, I remember when it used to suck major balls. Trojans, keyloggers and whatnot. Granted, it's fairly decent now.
    This, things have changed of course and I use it quite a bit, but it's not the only place to get addons.
    Once upon a time I stayed far far away from Curse as it was only good for getting some "hidden" stuff along with your addons.

Here's what I will do:

Use Curse to update everything else, and download/install ElvUI manually from their site.

Seriously, it's ONE folder. It takes less than 30 seconds to open a browser, type in the address, download, unzip and copy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    This part made me think you're really not being serious here. "Precious minutes..."

Deleted
    Curse are not as holy as youre making them out to be...
    All these creators are doing is trying to get the cash together to cover the hosting for the UI packages and the websites they run to update them, do you think they get that when its uploaded to curse? no.
    The revenue goes straight from the adverts into the managers pockets, sure they'll do the occasional give-away or competition to give the appearance that they give a shit, but they are still a company at the end of the day, one based around profit.

Also, reiterating what others have said, back when curse was starting up, you could pretty much guarentee their servers were infected and nothing you downloaded from there was safe, that has always stuck in my mind, which is why i use wowinterface for my add-ons.

The whole premise of the post that there should be "one site" for addons though is slightly idiotic, and I would go as far as comparing it to Hitler's nazi regime, but i'd probably get infracted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adt View Post
    The whole premise of the post that there should be "one site" for addons though is slightly idiotic, and I would go as far as comparing it to Hitler's nazi regime, but i'd probably get infracted.
    I suppose it is somewhat similar to the modern concept of the 'App Store' (popularised by Apple). It's quite controversial, but as long as there are other ways to get your software if you want to, then there's nothing wrong with it.

Heres what I do. You ready?

I support Tuk and Elvs' decision and just download the addon from their website or through Git. Obviously they have a problem with Curse and how it works. They probably also have a problem with Curse making money off of their addons through Ad Revenue.

Holy shit. I am the messiah.