Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Buying Eye of the North still worth it?

Hello everyone,

Just as everyone here i'm excited for GW2. I have played all of the guild wars campaigns exept eye of the north. I was wondering if it is still worth it going for HOM points. And how many points should i possibly already have? I cleared nightfall and prophecies and i'm over half in factions.

Thanks.

Id say its worth it, if you're interested in the story. About the HoM, you can get around 15 points without much of an effort, atleast. And there is an entire topic, that i believe is always on the front page of the section =/

Well, it's the only way to get HOM points, most of which (30ish) require dedication, but not in insane amount. If you want any rewards (save the first three since i think those are automatic) you HAVE to get eotn

Deleted
    I'm kinda noob in GW1, bought the pack 8 months ago as I started to hype myself up and the lore is really good. EotN lore too (although i liked the nightfall lore best)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's worth it if you're just interested in lore.
    However, if you're interested in HoM rewards, then you'll have 6 months left to get (potentially) 50 points before ANet shuts down the HoM system, and possibly GW1 altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    However, if you're interested in HoM rewards, then you'll have 6 months left to get (potentially) 50 points before ANet shuts down the HoM system, and possibly GW1 altogether.
    Absolutely incorrect

It's worth it if you're just interested in lore.
    No

The HoM will be available post GW2 launch and i'm sure as HELL GW1 won't be shut down for a long time to come
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

I do wonder if they'll stop the acquisition of new HoM points some time after GW2s launch to give a sense of exclusivity to them. You can damn well bet that will be pushed for on...certain sites.
    Anet confirmed it will be available post-launch, but I'm not sure if they've said for how long.

Anyway, yes it's worth it. It's a great bridge for lore. You would have at least 3 points.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do it, you get the story from EoTN, as well as the story from Guild Wars Beyond from getting it, which imo, are both major Pluses, not to mention that you get to get the nice sparkly gear for your GW2 characters =D!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    No

The HoM will be available post GW2 launch and i'm sure as HELL GW1 won't be shut down for a long time to come
    Shit, I messed up.
    What I meant to say is that HoM rewards will be available for 6 months AFTER gw2 releases. They'll discontinue after that to assure veteran GW2 players have something to boast about. It's also a nice way to reward dedicated GW1 fans. This lead me to speculate GW1 will be shut down sometime after the six month window is up.

But seriously, it's a fact that there will be a 6 month time frame. ANet said so.

Shit, I messed up.
    What I meant to say is that HoM rewards will be available for 6 months AFTER gw2 releases. They'll discontinue after that to assure veteran GW2 players have something to boast about. It's also a nice way to reward dedicated GW1 fans. This lead me to speculate GW1 will be shut down sometime after the six month window is up.

But seriously, it's a fact that there will be a 6 month time frame. ANet said so.
    I had 6 months in my head too...but couldn't find a source.

Cuchulainn and Squirrelbanes are right to my memory too - but again, I can't locate a source.

If I recall correctly, the rough quote from ArenaNet was that the HoM in GW1 would be kept open for at least 6 months after the GW2 launch date. Whether they will decide to extend beyond that date, or close it down then, is anyone's guess - though I certainly agree that there should be a cut off date for it at some point, and 6 months post GW2 release seems reasonable.

I do wonder though, if very few people are playing GW1, whether they would keep the game running, or close it down?

On the point the OP asks - you can pick up EotN for very cheap if you look around - I grabbed my copy at a game store for all of $8.00, and consider it well worth while just from the play perspective alone - of course, as others have pointed out, you will need EotN to activate your HoM if that's your desire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    No

I can't think of anybody that will still play GW1 if he can play GW2. It's like having a big bloody steak right before you but eating old crispbread instead.

Right now I haven't bought EotN yet, because it takes forever to get some points. HoM is something for GW-Veterans, not something for new player, especially when you don't have more than two hours time to play each day. Yes, some points are possible, but GW is so totally different from other online games that it takes forever to learn so much. So much factions, currencies, so much things to collect, gold to farm... but hell once I found out how to win at these stupid missions where I'm stuck in all three campains I might have fun again.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Deleted
    i bought the entire gw trilogy and eotn and got to 30 points easily. got 200 hours played over 69 days and i actually started to like the game near the end
    a lot of guilds out there just to help you get your points and it really should not be hard even if you are a beginner like i was to get to 15 points with no effort at all

Its worthwhile having a quick playthrough all the expansions, especially EotN. Even if youre not interested in the rewards, it can still fill you in on a lot of the background of the GW universe. You can usually get the whole lot pretty cheap nowadays anyway.

I don't doubt Arenanet has said they are going to close it, but if you think about it, it doesn't make much economic sense.

1) the HoM rewards are clearly for veterans ...but that's defined solely as people that played THROUGH the GW1 content. There is no connection with length of ownership, age of account, etc. I mean, even the fact that they'll keep it up at least 6 months says "hey, you can buy it today and blow through it and you're a 'veteran'." So it's not meant as a reward for the long-faithful, just a reward for doing content.

2) financially, GW1 has been paid for many, many times over. Sure, the server maintenance and bandwidth costs something but given the bulk server maint and bw contracts they're supporting for GW2 coming, the GW1 burden won't even be a tick on the meter.

If some dedicated GW2 player says "hey, you know, now that I've played GW2 I'd like to go through that GW1 content* and see the history/lore, as well as earn some pets etc." and this is going to be $$ flowing into Arenanet without really any additional cost....well, why would they stop that trickle of income?

* not to mention that this is clearly a net win for Arenanet to have a GW2 player do this. Cynically speaking, the OPTIMAL customer for Arenanet is someone who buys the game and doesn't play it (since Arenanet don't have ongoing fees, only ongoing costs). If they can encourage a GW2 customer to *stop* playing GW2 content (which is probably higher bandwidth, more demanding servers, etc) and play GW1 content instead, that means lower 'maintenance' costs for that customer. Hell, they can probably run the remaining GW1 fanbase on a server that is too old/slow to be useful for anything else so there's not even a hardware opportunity cost.
    -Styopa

10+ Year Old Account
    ^ boom, what he said

And I plan on playing GW1 quite frequently along side GW2, why wouldn't I? It's a really fun game with a different play style then the second. Idk why they'd shut it down it'd be stupid, and I've ALWAYS heard that they weren't shutting down the HoM and you could continue to gather rewards as long as GW stay up, idk where you people heard this 6 month shut down on it.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I can't remember seeing that.

Also it makes no sense, and your think about shutting GW1 down for good is just ridiculous - quite a lot GW1 players won't be playing GW2.

It probably costs them about $100/month to keep one/two machines going with GW (there can be multiple servers on one physical server) I don't see them shutting it down the next 3-4 years.
    Hell I could see Anet adding content to GW1 still there are PLENTY of events left between the 2 games that they could go more in depth on!! I, as well as just about every other lore hound, would LOVE that and it'd likely get some Gw 2 players to also get GW1

I still would like to see a source on that 6 month comment. This is the first time I've ever read it. The only thing I've seen the developers say is that you can continue to work on your HoM in GW after GW2 has launched.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    And take a look at Sony, I think every mmo they ever launched is still going no matter how few people actually plays it.
    ONLY exception was SWG, damn shame if you ask me, much better then SWTOR and would've kept a ton of players through space combat alone. However, i do understand why they closed it... so *shrug* but i see your point, and if i'm pretty sure they continue to release content for them, hell they released content for SWG up until they shut down the servers T.T