Deleted

Few questions from a just leveled Rogue

Hello everyone.

I have just leveled my rogue to 85, and I'm going to pvp with him, but also I want to do some pve, some heroic or some LFR, you know.

I see that most of the high end rogues uses Combat as main spec even with 2 daggers (I always thought that Combat is used with swords or axes).

So I have a few questions...

What's better for LFR and heroics? Combat or Subtlety? Are both usefull? What about the area dmg? I am having a lot of troubles making area dmg when I can only do Fan of Knives.

Well, let's see if someone can help me ^^

Thanks!

I think the rogues you saw as Combat with daggers are using the legendary daggers (probably the 397 ones if not the higher ones). Those ones increase Sinister Strike and Revealing Strike damage by 50% to compensate for the lower damage daggers do as a result of them hitting faster. Otherwise if you don't have those then Combat uses a slower mainhand (like a 2.6 speed sword/axe/mace) and a faster offhand for Deadly Poison procs.

Sub does really good damage on single target fights where you can actually be behind the boss but there are a lot of fights in DS where you can't backstab (Ultraxion/Spine/Madness) and also fights where Blade Flurry is really helpful (Blackhorn). AOE damage for Combat is still kinda sucky but Sub is the worst for AOE as far as I know. Hope that helped a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only current rogue AoE that's worth using at all is from assassination, but it's largely ignored for 5-mans and the LFR. The caveat to this is that Combat has, hands down, the strongest cleave in the game (literally, toggled at very minor cost), which for smaller pulls is often considered AoE (but it's cleave). For bosses, subtlety is competitive and, if played very well, can overtake combat at higher levels of gear for a single target.

5-mans generally strongly favor combat over both other specs, and the LFR does the same. The cleave is nearly invaluable (the last 2 bear runs I was in I ran 59k overall DPS as combat, and only 41k as subtlety, although I absolutely destroyed the bosses in subtlety).

Combat using MH daggers is specific to the legendary quest line. Fear, Sleeper, and Golad are the only MH daggers you should see on combat rogues.

For all fights except Madness of Deathwing (LFR, normal, heroic), I strongly recommend moving your FoK button to somewhere you won't hit it, because it just isn't useful outside of assassination.
    Last edited by Kael; 2012-04-19 at 08:04 AM.

Deleted
    if you've only just level 85, i'd recommend combat. they have an easy rotation and no positional requirements. subtlety has 4 finishers to manage (SnD, recup, rupt, evisc), 3 different combo point generators (ambush, backstab, hemo), 5 DPS cooldowns ranging from 20 seconds to 5 minutes in CD (vanish, shadowstep, shadow dance, preparation, premedititation), and also requires you to stay behind the target.

Quote Originally Posted by MinusTimes View Post
    Sub does really good damage on single target fights where you can actually be behind the boss but there are a lot of fights in DS where you can't backstab (Ultraxion/Spine/Madness)
    Actually the only fight you cannot backstab is Ultraxion. Shadowstep is a bit buggy for spine/madness though.

As said earlier... combat is probably your best bet to try out as a newly dinged 85. Easy rotation with some nifty cooldowns. Subtley has one of the hardest rotations in-game and Assassination, while still decent - is slightly under par from what Combat can do (mostly because of its cleave ability; Blade Flurry).

In terms of AoE per spec:
    Sub - the best AoE is single targetting the adds... FoK as Sub is horrible.
    Combat - FoK is better than Sub here, but the real winner is the cleave; Blade Flurry
    Assass - FoK here is one of the best AoE's in-game. However, only one fight in LFR Dragon Soul favors lots of adds to AoE (Yor'sahj)

For PvP, definently go Sub. Though the "pvp rotation" is not hard (like its PvE counterpart).

Deleted
    Ok, thanks everyone for ur answers.
    Seems clear that Combat is the best options.

Now there is a problem. I have any epic sword,mace or axe. I have 2x378 daggers, so what's my best option? Combat with daggers? Or continue with Subtlety?

If you don't have a slower MH, maybe try Assassination until you get that MH.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    quick question from me. im leveling doing combat 5-mans and also PvP as sub. dont wanna make a new thread as im sure some of you can answer easy enough
    i just wanna know about weeapons, which weapon speed in which hand and which poisons for those two please!