Deleted

"Cover The Night"

It has been in the news a lot, so I probably don't have to explain what KONY 2012 is ( to avoid discussion what they do with the money )

The film has also called for an April 20 world wide canvassing campaign, called "Cover the Night".

I feel with the people in the country, but am I the only one that doesn't want to travel 2-3 hours to a city in your country to help hanging posters and stickers everywhere? It's a 2 hour trip with the train, and I just can't be arsed to actually be up the whole night.

I doubt many of the thousands of people are going to do this...

I'm not going, how about you?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEgd7DDMAM8

http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/16/jason-.../#.T2P8RdFSTIJ

Ya I'm not even sure if Kony 2012 is still going on. That guy used the money to obviously buy drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont know what the big deal about Kony is. The prez of the country he resides in, uses just as many child soldiers. We have bigger fish to fry.

The video may have gone viral but in my opinion it hasn't had a lasting impact, people have forgotten and moved on to cute cat videos once again.

I thought that the internet had concluded by now that the whole thing was basically a scam.

Deleted
    If it's a scam then it is a very good one. People in my country aren't warming up for this, but there are people who still believe people will "cover the night"

I didn't donate anything, because it sounded fishy to suddenly "care" about someone we never heard of + using a 5 year old in a video convinces people

10+ Year Old Account
    There's also the problem where... what do you think that someone could do by raising public awareness of an event occurring in another nation on the other side of the world? Do you think that even if everything was totally accurate, a bunch of people from the US would be able to sway him away from his current campaign? Really, the only way to get him is to help those who oppose him, or get an ICC charge filed against him and wait for him to wander into a country that recognizes ICC jurisdiction

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    There's also the problem where... what do you think that someone could do by raising public awareness of an event occurring in another nation on the other side of the world? Do you think that even if everything was totally accurate, a bunch of people from the US would be able to sway him away from his current campaign? Really, the only way to get him is to help those who oppose him, or get an ICC charge filed against him and wait for him to wander into a country that recognizes ICC jurisdiction
    The objective is to convince US politicians to give aide and expertise to local governments hunting Kony, not to convince Kony to stop using child soldiers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pert View Post
    The objective is to convince US politicians to give aide and expertise to local governments hunting Kony, not to convince Kony to stop using child soldiers.
    "Help those who oppose them" thanks for reading. So the primary objective is... to arm militant governments in a highly volatile part of the world to oppose someone that we don't agree with?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    "Help those who oppose them" thanks for reading. So the primary objective is... to arm militant governments in a highly volatile part of the world to oppose someone that we don't agree with?
    Nah, they don't want the US to send arms to Uganda. They want to keep US advisors who are already there in place, and possibly provide intelligence to the Ugandan military to help them take out the LRA/Kony.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I could be mistaken but didn't this whole "Kony 2012" thing push back the progress that had been made to overthrow Kony, causing him to dig in deeper and increase his own personal defense due to increased awareness? It's been months but I think I read that in an article somewhere. Anyway, move Kony out and another will step in at some point. It sucks but that's what happens in that part of the world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezrail View Post
    I could be mistaken but didn't this whole "Kony 2012" thing push back the progress that had been made to overthrow Kony, causing him to dig in deeper and increase his own personal defense due to increased awareness? It's been months but I think I read that in an article somewhere. Anyway, move Kony out and another will step in at some point. It sucks but that's what happens in that part of the world.
    Yup, I saw an interview with the bald british dude on Discovery Channel. It's great awareness, but it's wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Cover the Night"? Seriously why does that sound like an awesome Jame Bond film :P