Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Post Windwalker Monk Guide

Currently a WIP, as with all beta guides. All updates will be posted first to my new blog, World of Monkcraft; I'll update here as time allows. Please let me know what needs fixing/changing/adding.

Changelog:
    04 May: Updated for Patch 15662, added some stuff.
    27 Apr: Updated for Patch 15640.
    22 Apr: Added heirloom recommendations.
    21 Apr: Updated FoF/LC/Expel Harm, added stat weights.
    20 Apr: Initial Post

Overview

The windwalker monk is the DPS option for the new monk class introduced in Mists of Pandaria. Windwalkers, much like rogues, paladins, or feral druids, have two types of resources they must manage in order to maximize their damage; Energy and Chi. Also like rogues and feral druids, windwalker monks have a 1.0sec GCD for their abilities, as opposed to the traditional 1.5sec GCD. (GCD = Global Cooldown, or the delay before another ability can be used.) Windwalker monks can dual wield maces, swords, axes, or fist weapons, or can single wield staves and polearms.

Resources

Energy

Windwalker monks have a 100-point energy pool, which regenerates at 8 energy/sec. (This rate is still being revised.) This can be slightly increased by haste. The only exception to this constant is Energizing Brew, which adds an additional 60 energy over 6s.

Chi

Chi is the windwalker monk's primary resource. Chi is mainly built through the use of Jab. (can change names, see below). Currently, Jab costs 40 energy and generates 1 chi baseline, but 2 for Windwalkers due to Muscle Memory. Monks can store up to 4 chi.

Basic Rotations (WIP)

ST Rotation:
    Keep RSK debuff up (15s)
    Use Combo Breaker procs (Free TP/BOK)
    Zen Sphere on CD (OP atm)
    Fists of Fury on CD
    TP/BOK, depending on enemy HP %
    Jab (or Expel Harm, if hurt) Energizing Brew as necessary for energy.

AOE rotation:
    Keep RSK debuff up
    Fists of Fury on CD
    Spinning Crane Kick
    Jab/Expel Harm for Chi (Be careful of EH if CC's are nearby)

Abilities

Single-Target Abilities
    • Jab (40 energy, no CD): Increases chi by 1. Basic attack. Can change to other skills, depending on weapon equipped; functionality remains the same. In DPS stance, increases chi by 2. Can proc a free TP/BOK via Combo Breaker, the Windwalker Mastery.
    • Expel Harm (40 energy, 15s CD): Increases chi by 1. Does a small self-heal, then deals 120% that damage to a random mob. Does no damage if you're at full HP, but you still get the chi. In DPS stance, increases chi by 2.
    • Tiger Palm (1 chi, no CD): Moderate damage, increased when target is above 50% HP.
    • Blackout Kick (2 chi, no CD): Moderate damage, increased when target is below 50% HP. (The increase is a DOT, but it does stack.)
    • Combo Breaker (windwalker mastery): Each time Jab is used, there is a chance to proc a free TP/BK.
    • Rising Sun Kick (2 chi, 8s CD): Moderate damage and causes target to take 10% additional damage (from the Monk) for 15 sec.
    AoE/Ranged Abilities
    • Spinning Crane Kick (1 chi): Small AoE damage to all enemies in melee range, lasts 3 sec.
    • Fists of Fury (3 chi, 45s CD): Large AoE damage (but expensive) to all enemies in a frontal cone. Lasts 4 sec. Channeled (no autoattack/other abilities)
    • Spinning Fire Blossom (1 chi, no CD): Ranged attack, small damage. Used as filler when the Monk is out of melee range.
    • Crackling Jade Lightning*(cost bugged, all monks): Channels a DoT on a ranged target; knocks them back if they melee you, and has a chance to add Chi on each tick. Mostly intended for Mistweavers, but can be used as a ranged filler if you have no Chi, or just as a pulling tool.

Other DPS abilities
    • Summon White Tiger Statue: Creates a statue (you choose where it goes). During a fight, every time you spend 3 chi, it will spawn a tiger pet who will move to your current target and attack, once. Still somewhat buggy. Removed from game in latest patch, leaving here in case it comes back.

Buffs/Passives/Raid Cooldowns:
    • Stance of the Fierce Tiger: Increases damage by 20%, required for most of the abilities.
    • Legacy of the Emperor: +5% stats
    • Legacy of the White Tiger: +5 mastery
    • Tiger Strikes (all monks): Autoattacks have a 10% chance to proc a buff that increases attack-speed and generates 4 extra attacks.
    • Meditation (180s CD): 99% damage reduction, redirects all spell damage to you for 8 sec. Breaks on melee. Will get nerfed.
    • <URL="http://www.wowdb.com/spells/116023">Sparring[/URL](windwalker only): 5% parry buff when attacked, stacks up to 20%.
    • <URL="http://www.wowdb.com/spells/116092">Afterlife[/URL](windwalker only): Dead enemies have a chance to proc a Healing Sphere (all) or Chi Sphere (if killed with Blackout Kick).
    • <URL="http://www.wowdb.com/spells/124334">Swift Reflexes[/URL]*(all monks): Small amount of damage done to the enemy on a parry. Looks like a tuning lever for Brewmaster DPS.

Movement:
    • Roll: Similar to blink, you go forward fast. Has 2 charges, starts regenerating when you use the first.
    • Flying Serpent Kick: Click once to take off, click again to land. Very fast and fun, but hard to land accurately.
    • Transcendence: Similar to Demonic Circle.*Cast it once (for free), places a point. Cast it again (1 chi), places a point at your current location, teleports to old point. Cast it again...etc.

Crowd Control:
    • Paralysis (15s CD): 30s/60s incapacitate. Melee only so will be semi-tricky to use in dungeons.
    • Disable (15 energy): Reduces movement speed by 25%, stacks twice. On third use, roots.
    • Grapple Weapon (60s CD): Ranged disarm. Has an additional effect according to tooltip, but doesn't work right now.
    • Spear Hand Strike (30 energy/30s CD): Interrupt/Silence.
    Healing/Other:
    • Detox (20energy, 8s CD): Dispels diseases and poisons.
    • Healing Sphere (40 energy): Creates a sphere which can be walked through for health.
    • Fortifying Brew (180s CD): Increases health by 100%, and reduces damage by 20%. 20s duration.
    • Resuscitate: Out of combat rez.
    • Afterlife: Enemies killed may summon a Healing or Chi Sphere.
    • Touch of Death (3 chi, 90s CD): Instakills an enemy with less health than the monk. Affected by Fortifying Brew.

Damage in premade gear

All numbers with premade gear, no buffs/debuffs.
    Melee: 5.5-7k
    Jab (Generates 1 chi): 4-5k
    Expel Harm (Generates 1 chi): 12k, 10k heal
    Tiger Palm (1 chi): 8k-10k (without +50% increase)
    Blackout Kick(2 chi): 10-12k (without DoT)
    Rising Sun Kick(2 chi): 25k
    Fists of Fury(3 chi AOE): 5 hits for 13k over 4s
    Spinning Crane Kick(2 chi AOE): 4 hits for 8k over 3s
    Crackling Jade Lightning: 5k a tick
    Spinning Fire Blossom: 9k close in, 13k at range
    Flying Serpent Kick: 2-3k, buggy
    Swift Reflexes (when you parry): 0.5k
    Zen Sphere: 8k HoT, 7.5k DoT; 8 ticks over 16s
    Chi Burst: 7k heal, 10k damage

Talents

Cut the full list. Currently recommending:

Celerity - More rolls is better than a movement buff after the roll when we also have Flying Serpent Kick.
    Zen Sphere - Very overpowered at the moment; does 60k damage AND healing (over time) for 2 chi.
    Power Strikes - Chi Brew will be better for burst situations, but PS gets the overall recommendation.
    Leg Sweep or Deadly Reach - Leg Sweep for helping a tank deal with trash, Deadly Reach to help with CC (if we need to)
    Dampen Harm - Diffuse Magic may be situationally better, but DH is a nice cooldown.
    Xuen, The White Tiger - Because Tiger LIGHTNING. (Can't test it yet.)

Glyphs

• Glyph of Breath of Fire: When you use Breath of Fire on targets that have 3 stacks of Dizzying Haze, they become Disoriented for 3 sec. Adds some survivability to the damage.
    • Glyph of Chi Wave: When you deal damage with Chi Wave, you stun the target for 1 sec. Mistweaver PvP.
    • Glyph of Dizzying Haze: You apply two stacks of Dizzying Haze when cast, instead of one. Helpful to stack miss chance faster.
    • Glyph of Enduring Healing Sphere: When attacked, the cast time of your Healing Sphere is reduced by 50%. Stacks up to 2 times. Hard to say right now, it's practically instant.
    • Glyph of Expel Harm: Increases the range of your Expel Harm by 10 yards. Possibly helpful.
    • Glyph of Gliding Serpent Kick: Reduces the speed while using Flying Serpent Kick by 30%. WHY WOULD YOU?
    • Glyph of Guard: Increases the amount your Guard absorbs by 10%, but your Guard can only absorb magical damage. Very encounter dependent, obviously.
    • Glyph of Mana Tea: Your Mana Tea is instant instead of channeled and consumes two stacks when used, but causes a 10 sec cooldown. Interesting; will have to see how this plays out.
    • Glyph of Meditation: You can now channel Meditation while moving. Meh, Meditation's still due for a nerf.
    • Glyph of Renewing Mists: Your Renewing Mists travels to the furthest injured target within 40 yards rather than the closest injured target within 8 yards. So...you get two mistweavers and have one glyph and one not? Personally, I want that guy who refuses to stack up to die horribly, but eh.
    • Glyph of Spinning Crane Kick: You move at full speed while channeling Spinning Crane Kick. Cool, I guess.
    • Glyph of Spinning Fire Blossom: Your Spinning Fire Blossom requires an enemy target rather than traveling in front of you, but is no longer capable of rooting targets. Eh.
    • Glyph of Surging Mist: Your Surging Mist no longer requires a target, and instead heals the lowest health target within 40 yards. Well, that's your tank healer/raid healer split right there.
    • Glyph of Touch of Death: Your Touch of Death no longer has a Chi cost, but the cooldown is increased by 2 minutes. Eh.
    • Glyph of Transcendence: Increases the range of your Transcendence: Transfer spell by 10 yards. Definitely helpful.
    None of these are really must take for Windwalkers.

Stats
    Agility is the preferred primary stat.
    For secondary stats, likely weighting is hit/exp > crit > haste > mastery, as the rotation currently stands. Have to test whether Agi or Hit/Exp is better.

Heirloom Gear Recommendations:

Weapons:
    Armor:
    Last edited by alarondruid; 2012-05-05 at 04:21 AM.
    Visit The Fluid Druid for all your feral druid needs, or reach me on Twitter (@alarondruid)

Couple of issues here
    Glyph of Fists of Fury - While channeling Fists of Fury, your chance to dodge melee and ranged attacks is increased by 25%. For Brewmasters, obviously.
    Brewmasters don't get Fists of Fury. It's an exclusive move to Windwalkers. This glyph is like sparring; it gives Windwalkers some avoidance while soloing to make up for the lack of self healing.

Life Cocoon - Odd CC.
    When used on friendly targets it's more akin to a BoP that heals than anything else.

Stats
    Obviously, the windwalker will prefer Agility, but secondary stats/weights are all TBD at this point.
    Secondary stats in this current build are weighing in as such I believe; Hit/Expertise to Cap(a dodged/missed/parried jab is no fun at all + fails to generate chi) > Agility > Crit > Haste(don't believe this is increasing energy regen atm, putting its value below crit) > Mastery(we're GCD locked without the extra procs)

I'm glad someone is taking time to compile information though; lord knows I don't want to.

[*]Expel Harm (40 energy, 15s CD): Targets a random in-combat enemy; does small damage and returns it to you as a heal.
    Expel Harm do healing first then 100% of that healing as dmg to a random mob in range

Thanks for the tips; changed the affected sections. At the moment, FoF doesn't really feel that powerful for single-target, so I'm unsure of the Glyph's value.

Good point on Life Cocoon; looked at it the wrong way. Interestingly, it blocks casting as well, unlike HOP which only blocks damage/melee.
    Visit The Fluid Druid for all your feral druid needs, or reach me on Twitter (@alarondruid)

Deleted
    Thank you for putting this together - I guess with the community working together we can make this a very extensive guide, seems pretty smart to start right now and keep adding.
    Sections that should be added (although have to be left empty until further beta updates): Gemming help, Reforge guide, helpful addons.

Has anyone else had threat issues with tanks not being able to hold threat even single target on bosses? It seems like opening up with RSK for the debuff and seeing 90k+ crits is pretty common which leads to some hairy threat situations where tanks just can't catch back up currently. Also FoF and even SCK when RSK is up can be ugly for threat. I am wondering if/how they are going to implement some sort of threat drop, or if monks will be the new fury warriors of all the threat all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Darktyme View Post
    Has anyone else had threat issues with tanks not being able to hold threat even single target on bosses? It seems like opening up with RSK for the debuff and seeing 90k+ crits is pretty common which leads to some hairy threat situations where tanks just can't catch back up currently. Also FoF and even SCK when RSK is up can be ugly for threat. I am wondering if/how they are going to implement some sort of threat drop, or if monks will be the new fury warriors of all the threat all the time.
    I'm not overly worried about ST threat; I think what you're seeing is a combination of tank damage not being balanced yet and a bunch of people getting used to new tank rotations.

Multi-Target threat, however, is very likely due to FoF/SCK and also possibly deadly, since we're pretty squishy.

When the energy refund is in for skills that Miss, we can probably expect similar initial stats to a rogue.

Agi > Yellow Hitcap > Expertise Cap. After this however is where the real struggle of stat weights comes. Crit Vs Haste Vs Mastery. That last one is anyone's guess. Haste is usually favored for classes with haste renewable resources. However the class seems nigh on GCD capped anyway so it will come down to white damage's worth, especially as this would work against the mastery of free attacks for capping resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Go put some pants on.

mastery seems weaker as I have no lack of chi to spend on good rotation anyways while trying not to focus cap. Something I don't think has been looked at though is the posibility of hit white cap > other secondary stats much like fury warriors. If we are dual wielding, then our auto attack ability that stacks the ability to make extra attacks might end up also being a prime stat even after 8% special hit cap. this could lead to a priority similar to 8%hit>6.5% expertise>agi>hit to white cap>crit>= haste>mastery. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Darktyme View Post
    mastery seems weaker as I have no lack of chi to spend on good rotation anyways while trying not to focus cap. Something I don't think has been looked at though is the posibility of hit white cap > other secondary stats much like fury warriors. If we are dual wielding, then our auto attack ability that stacks the ability to make extra attacks might end up also being a prime stat even after 8% special hit cap. this could lead to a priority similar to 8%hit>6.5% expertise>agi>hit to white cap>crit>= haste>mastery. Thoughts?
    While I'm not overly well versed in Warriors, don't they cap white hits for proper rage generation? Monks have a constantly refreshing resource in energy, and as such have no real benefit to white hit capping other than increasing out auto attack damage. If my assumption is wrong on the reason warriors cap white hits, then my assumptions may be incorrect.

The only reason I weighed the stats as such is - Energy is not refunded on a miss/dodge/parry. Have they stated that they intend it to work as such? I believe it does for rogues, but I haven't read anything about it working that way for Monks.

I valued haste under crit due to the fact that, even with a minimal amount of haste, monks are GCD capped. And thus, the only reason haste would be > mastery would be an increase in white damage. Mastery is abysmal right now; we're GCD capped, and it's simply not worth using a blackout kick proc about 50%.

Now, this could change as we get to higher levels. I also expect them to review the Windwalker spec soon and we could possibly see a massive overhaul. The spec, as it stands right now, is very far from engaging.

Text dump from patch 15640 on 24 Apr. Will go back and update OP when I get the chance.

Baseline
    Blackout Kick now costs 2 Chi, up from 1 Chi. Base damage increased by 20%.
    Crackling Jade Lightning now costs 1.5% of Base Mana, down from 3%. Base healing increased by 45%. When dealing damage, you have a 15% chance to generate 1 Chi.
    Detox now removes Disease effects instead of Bleed effects.
    Expel Harm now costs 2.5% of Base Mana, down from 6%. Now Generates 1 Chi. Base healing increased by 20%.
    Fortifying Brew now Increases your health by 100%, and reduces damage taken by 20%. Lasts 20 sec.
    Grapple Weapon now grabs non-ranged weapons. If you steal a better main-hand weapon, your damage or healing will be increased by 5% or damage taken reduced by 5%.
    Healing Sphere now costs 2% of Base Mana, up from 1.5% of Base Mana. Now is instant cast, down from 1.5 sec cast. Now has a 0.5 sec cooldown.
    Spinning Crane Kick now costs 2 Chi, down from 1 Chi. During Spinning Crane Kick, you can continue to dodge and parry.
    Tiger Palm now deals 50% additional damage if the target is above 50% health.
    Transcendence now has a 45 sec cooldown, down from 3 minutes.

Talents
    Charging Ox Wave now affects all nerby enemies within 5 yards, down from 40 yards.
    Chi Torpedo - Chi Torpedo replaces Roll.
    Dampen Harm has been moved to LVL 75, up from LVL 60. Now has a 1.5 min cooldown, up from 30 sec.
    Healing Elixirs has been moved to LVL 75, up from LVL 60.
    Karma *New* - Reduces all spell damage taken by 90% and clears all magical effects on you, reversing them back to their original caster if within 40 yards. Lasts for 6 sec. 1 Chi. Instant. 1.5 min cooldown
    Leg Sweep now lasts 5 sec, down from 6 sec.
    Zen Sphre Summons a Zen Sphere at the target location. Deals x damage to the 3 lowest health enemies within 20 yards of the sphere every 1 sec. If enemies die from the Zen Sphere, they combust dealing y damage enemies within 8 yards. Use Zen Sphere again while active to detonate it, instantly dealing y damage to all enemies within 20 yards. 1 Chi. 40 Yards Range. Instant.
    Rushing Jade Wind has been reworked and now has a 30 sec cooldown, down from 45 sec. You summon a whirling tornado that travels 0 yards in front of you, dealing 5,454 Nature damage to all targets in its path and increasing damage taken by your Spinning Crane Kick by 30%. For 8 sec sec after you cast Rushing Jade Wind, you move at 200% speed while using Spinning Crane Kick and reduces Spinning Crane Kick's Chi cost by 1 Chi.
    Tigereye Brew now costs 3 Chi, up from 1 Chi. Now has a 60 sec cooldown, down from 90 sec. Now Increases your damage and healing done by 15%.
    Tiger's Lust now has a 30 sec cooldown, down from 60 sec.

Windwalker
    Muscle Memory now also affects Expel Harm.
    Sparring no longer requires any stance.
    Spinning Fire Blossom base damage has been increased by 20%. Now deals Fire damage instead of Physical damage. Now also roots the target for 2 sec if Fire Blossom travels further than 10 yards.

Glyphs
    Glyph of Expel Harm - Increases the range of your Expel Harm by 10 yards.
    Glyph of Transcendence - Increases the range of your Transcendence: Transfer spell by 10 yards.

The t14 set bonuses were just released. Hooray for buffing our AoE rotation and an ability we never use!

Quote Originally Posted by Catharlex View Post
    While I'm not overly well versed in Warriors, don't they cap white hits for proper rage generation? Monks have a constantly refreshing resource in energy, and as such have no real benefit to white hit capping other than increasing out auto attack damage. If my assumption is wrong on the reason warriors cap white hits, then my assumptions may be incorrect.

The only reason I weighed the stats as such is - Energy is not refunded on a miss/dodge/parry. Have they stated that they intend it to work as such? I believe it does for rogues, but I haven't read anything about it working that way for Monks.

I valued haste under crit due to the fact that, even with a minimal amount of haste, monks are GCD capped. And thus, the only reason haste would be > mastery would be an increase in white damage. Mastery is abysmal right now; we're GCD capped, and it's simply not worth using a blackout kick proc about 50%.

Now, this could change as we get to higher levels. I also expect them to review the Windwalker spec soon and we could possibly see a massive overhaul. The spec, as it stands right now, is very far from engaging.
    Warriors white hit cap for multiple reasons as fury. It does increase their rage regen, but it also increases up-time on enrages and gives a large amount of melee dmg. We won't know till we can run some better numbers and get a feel for it more, but with our resources not being an issue (GCD capped) and mastery being a poor stat even with the BK increase to 2 chi, crit will be compelling, but i just don't think we can discount tigerstrikes as a large portion of dmg to not be ignored. 5 attacks that basicly have free combat rogue/ arms warrior mastery for extra attacks. A build for tiger strikes might favor 2h weapons for that reason. just a thought to be watched as the class tuning progresses and we get closer to a final rotation.

Darktyme, i hope you are talking about beta warrior, because on live, you definately don't whitehit cap as a fury.

Just a note for your single target rotation: expel harm on cd, if you are on full hp, then ur expel harm does no dmg ,you still gain the chi ofc but for optimal use of it, it would be when ur not on full hp. Unless ur energy starved then gogo^^

Fixed for latest patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did they remove the statue ? :-/ I can't find it on my spellbook and the DB says "spell not found".

Quote Originally Posted by Yorgl View Post
    Did they remove the statue ? :-/ I can't find it on my spellbook and the DB says "spell not found".
    Yes, I think it was removed because of buggy-ness and the fact that it was a rather passive method of DPS, which they try to avoid.

@ Alarondruid - I was wondering if you've done any research into Zen Sphere and FoF cancelling auto-attacks? I checked your blog page and couldn't find anything. Either way, do you think that with that bug, FoF or Zen Sphere is worth using?