Page 1 of 27
... LastLast
    Deleted

Guild Wars 2 - In it to win it

Didn't see anyone post this link yet.
    Article from Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaud...ul-mmo-period/

Mentionable quotes.

“We’re in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them. We’ll be satisfied when the Guild Wars 2 is the most successful MMO. I think we have something unique here and players are going to see it and understand why dynamic events are a way better content model than people have experienced before in online worlds. Word-of-mouth will get people to understand that we really are doing something new and different. The sky’s the limit once this game is out. Online worlds have a networking effect. People will bring friends to Guild Wars 2. We hope all the people who play the beta weekend will tell their friends about it.”
    O’Brien said “nothing is going to kill WoW other than WoW. Games just don’t die. But do gamers think we’ve seen the most popular online game we’ve ever seen and we’ll never see something more popular than that? I don’t think so. One MMO has been on the top of the heap for seven years now, but there’s been a progression in the industry for other games being able to attract more and more players. And we’re set to climb to the top.”
    P.S Stolen from Guru.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was posted in "The One Thread", but I think it deserves it's own topic...

...even if it does end up devolving into a WoW vs GW2 fling.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I like to hear and I couldn't agree more about the "only WoW can kill WoW". I'm incredibly pumped for this weekends beta and I will be telling my friends about it non-stop for the following week you can rest assured lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting thing is back in pax's and gaming conventions etc they always said we don't care about wow we aren't competing with them etc we just wanna make a good game etc. Now they are like BRING IT FUCKING AWWWWNN!!!!!! RAWR!!!!!!...Iunno this make me a lil' woah...they kinda do wanna go up against the mighty WoW.

Deleted
    I don't think feeding the overhype will be any good for the game. I think GW2 has potential but all the over-zealous fanbois are putting potential players off while creating such high expectations that the potential for disappointment is now through the roof. Honestly, I will give it a try and probably play it sporadically, but all the hype and trying to clash it against WoW will, most likely, be very detrimental to the game in the long run.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll buy the game and it does sound interesting, but this recalls Trion's "You're not in Azeroth anymore" pre-launch bluster. Hence, my stock phrase about all of these games:

Shutup and ship

Talk's easy. Bluster is cheap. Ship the game and prove it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    I don't think feeding the overhype will be any good for the game. I think GW2 has potential but all the over-zealous fanbois are putting potential players off while creating such high expectations that the potential for disappointment is now through the roof. Honestly, I will give it a try and probably play it sporadically, but all the hype and trying to clash it against WoW will, most likely, be very detrimental to the game in the long run.
    I've always felt the following way:

Hype can't hurt a game like GW2 because there is no barrier keeping players that were disappointed by their own unreasonable expectations from trying the game again later down the line with more realistic expectations.

Have GW2 sitting on your hard drive doing nothing 6 months after launch? Feel like trying it again? Go ahead, no fee required.

---------- Post added 2012-04-23 at 11:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I'll buy the game and it does sound interesting, but this recalls Trion's "You're not in Azeroth anymore" pre-launch bluster.
    This actually doesn't remind me of that at all actually. As that was their marketing campaign, this article is just that... an article.

I also found Trion's marketing campaign laughable, having played the beta before that started it was obviously baiting off of consumer ignorance.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted
    I think it would be hard to know when(if) Guild Wars 2 "beats" wow since wow uses a subscription model.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    I think it would be hard to know when(if) Guild Wars 2 "beats" wow since wow uses a subscription model.
    ArenaNet can create a definition of what an "active" player constitutes in their game to compare player numbers if that's what they are actually trying to "beat" WoW on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I've always felt the following way:

Hype can't hurt a game like GW2 because there is no barrier keeping players that were disappointed by their own unreasonable expectations from trying the game again later down the line with more realistic expectations.

Have GW2 sitting on your hard drive doing nothing 6 months after launch? Feel like trying it again? Go ahead, no fee required.

---------- Post added 2012-04-23 at 11:02 PM ----------

This actually doesn't remind me of that at all actually. As that was their marketing campaign, this article is just that... an article.

I also found Trion's marketing campaign laughable, having played the beta before that started it was obviously baiting off of consumer ignorance.
    True.

Still, making it an open rivalry will just make some people go into "loyalty mode" (I have a friend that refuses to try GW due to it). I'm no marketing strategist but I'd rather do my thing, show my game's strong points and let people decide. The rivalry thing can only go so far and it'll only make the more skeptical players work extra hard to pick it apart because, let's face it, every system and every company has flaws and GW / ANet is no exception (I know this kind of paints a target for flaming on my forehead).

Your point also raises another point: There's not really a "competition". GW2 has no fee, so you don't have to choose which MMO to stay subscribed to. I don't see myself spending hours and hours at a time playing it like I've played WoW or LotRO or whatever, but playing it more sporadically like I play BF3/MW3 or intend to play D3.

15+ Year Old Account
    I played GW1 quite a bit and I have a certain respect for ArenaNet now. Despite the hype, I do believe they will be able to sell us something unique. I will likely be satisfied with the game even if it isn't as amazing revolutionary ground breaking ultimate game ever as long as it doesn't end up being a mediocre game like TOR. Granted, I didn't buy into the TOR hype and only picked it up at the behest of my brother.

I see GW2 being different enough and interesting enough to warrant my attention. I don't care how others perceive the game or what they expect it to become - I know I will probably enjoy it and spend a lot of time playing it with my friends. If they can deliver on a lot of their promises: to rebirth community and camaraderie, skillful playing, and beautiful art and story then, great. If not, well, I won't be having to pay monthly to experience what there is to do.

Aside from the initial buy-in price, there is not a whole lot of risk involved and they are making strides early on to assure some level of success.

10+ Year Old Account
    True.

Still, making it an open rivalry will just make some people go into "loyalty mode" (I have a friend that refuses to try GW due to it). I'm no marketing strategist but I'd rather do my thing, show my game's strong points and let people decide. The rivalry thing can only go so far and it'll only make the more skeptical players work extra hard to pick it apart because, let's face it, every system and every company has flaws and GW / ANet is no exception (I know this kind of paints a target for flaming on my forehead).

Your point also raises another point: There's not really a "competition". GW2 has no fee, so you don't have to choose which MMO to stay subscribed to. I don't see myself spending hours and hours at a time playing it like I've played WoW or LotRO or whatever, but playing it more sporadically like I play BF3/MW3 or intend to play D3.
    competing for players' time

a very real resource

if you win their time you win their money. yes even GW2 will
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah this has been mentioned today.

I don't care about the topic, but I honestly feel this game is going to do well. The second I heard it was free to play I put my pre-order in... I'm tired of having to choose a game to play because of subs.

I like the attitude that they have. They won't rest untill Gw2 is the best game out there, meaning they will give this game their all.

I'm very much looking foward to playing the beta weekend, all the video's I have seen on this game makes it look better and better. WoW isn't going to go anywhere and it isn't going to die off but Gw2 will be right there with it at the top.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadzta View Post
    Interesting thing is back in pax's and gaming conventions etc they always said we don't care about wow we aren't competing with them etc we just wanna make a good game etc. Now they are like BRING IT FUCKING AWWWWNN!!!!!! RAWR!!!!!!...Iunno this make me a lil' woah...they kinda do wanna go up against the mighty WoW.
    I have to agree, I'm a little surprised they are saying it now. I think they always were saying otherwise before because of the negative stigma attached to developers making such a statement, and also because GW2 had only just begun to form...

Maybe now that the game is nearing completion and they're seeing just how many people are excited for the game, they're getting caught up in hype themselves? *shrugs*

---------- Post added 2012-04-23 at 10:33 PM ----------

Still, making it an open rivalry will just make some people go into "loyalty mode"
    People really need to get out of the "us vs them" mindset, frankly. I spent years subscribed to both CoH *and* WoW.

Of course now that CoH can be played for free I'm not doing it, but only because I don't really put enough hours into it for me to really feel comfortable paying the VIP subscription. (I also hate it when games have a VIP thing going - Hated it ever since Runescape started doing it)
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I have to agree, I'm a little surprised they are saying it now. I think they always were saying otherwise before because of the negative stigma attached to developers making such a statement, and also because GW2 had only just begun to form...

Maybe now that the game is nearing completion and they're seeing just how many people are excited for the game, they're getting caught up in hype themselves? *shrugs*

---------- Post added 2012-04-23 at 10:33 PM ----------

People really need to get out of the "us vs them" mindset, frankly. I spent years subscribed to both CoH *and* WoW.

Of course now that CoH can be played for free I'm not doing it, but only because I don't really put enough hours into it for me to really feel comfortable paying the VIP subscription. (I also hate it when games have a VIP thing going - Hated it ever since Runescape started doing it)
    Wouldn't surprise me if they too are getting pretty pumped for it...Im a little nervous about it now, still going to be a great game and im jizzing at the thought when i can finally download the beta for this weekend n shit but yikes that one comment just didnt hit me right.../shrug.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think having that competitive mindset is a bad thing, so long as they actually make use of that mindset, and attempt to seriously apply it.

So long as it's, I suppose... driving them, fueling them to put in 110% to making this game everything it can be... where's the harm?
    Other games would say it as a sort of way to say "Hey, look at us, we're awesome too, stop playing WoW and play with us!" And then it turned out they either had made a WoW clone, or didn't put in enough effort to match up to claims. In other words, it seriously was pure marketing hype.

He's just saying it as a sort of... "We want to be better than the top dawg yo" And he actually means it.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I don't think having that competitive mindset is a bad thing, so long as they actually make use of that mindset, and attempt to seriously apply it.

So long as it's, I suppose... driving them, fueling them to put in 110% to making this game everything it can be... where's the harm?
    Other games would say it as a sort of way to say "Hey, look at us, we're awesome too, stop playing WoW and play with us!" And then it turned out they either had made a WoW clone, or didn't put in enough effort to match up to claims. In other words, it seriously was pure marketing hype.

He's just saying it as a sort of... "We want to be better than the top dawg yo" And he actually means it.
    Iunno man if a developer said to me " We want to be better than the top dawg yo" and actually MEANT it...i wouldn't buy that game...hehe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadzta View Post
    Iunno man if a developer said to me " We want to be better than the top dawg yo" and actually MEANT it...i wouldn't buy that game...hehe
    Hey, you know what I meant! /flail

Deleted
    Let's hope they don't start slacking once they become the very best.