Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    No need to worry unless theyd go "backwards". First thing I did was rebind... .
    No I am not bout by any NDA.
    In the game itself Ill end up doing a lot of rebinding myself :P
    Its gonna be first thing to do lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Davisdoesdallas View Post
    Alright so since it was too long but I'm bored and spent my team reading anyways you're basically saying...

"I have fat stubby fingers and other HARDCORES do TOO so give us moar binds"

Save up your allowance... buy a naga, stop complaining.

Saying there is 'no counter to my arguement' is basically like saying 'fuck you guys, I'm taking my ball and going home cause I want it MY WAY'. And before you respond, there is no counter to my arguement because you 'only need 80$' therefore I'm right.
    Naga is terrible if you have fat stubby fingers, the buttons are tiny it essentially turns the 12 buttons on the side into 6-9. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    One hand playing GW2 and the other dipping chocolate chip cookies in milk?
    efficient multitasking!
    Sig: Left-aligned forms are the slowest of the three to complete because of the number of eye fixations they require to parse.

Quote Originally Posted by obaama View Post
    Anyone have any good reccomendations for a LEFT HANDED multibutton mouse?
    Shockingly the best current choice is the Razer Death Adder Left Handed Edition which only has two thumb buttons but considering Razer is the only company that gives a damn about lefties or one handed gamers with a left hand. The left handed Naga is supposed to drop within a year so hats off to Razer....

I'm going to give it my best shot with my Death Adder... 3 days to Beta!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryph View Post
    If this upcoming BWE doesn't have the ability to use modifiers, then that will be one of the biggest blunders I can imagine them making for the BWE and this player-driven marketing campaign. Not everyone who prepurchased is a die hard GW1 fan and used to not having the ability to keybind modifiers, and I would wager to say that at the very least 70% of the player base for the first BWE are people that use modifiers extensively. Something so small and important to how a game feels and its control to not be in the game this late in development is nothing short of a serious failure on Anet.

There is no counter point to this argument. "You only have 10 skills" or "There's not as many skills as other MMOs" are nowhere near sufficient arguments. The very least you can have in combat is 13 keybinds/skills in combat(Necro, Warrior, Thief). 10 buttons for skills and utilities, 1 for weapon swapping, 1 for profession-specific(DeathShroud, Burst, Steal) and 1 revive/finish move. Having F1-F4 as actual buttons for gameplay is woefully inefficient, especially in a highly mobile game such as GW2.

We've all heard ANet spout lines like "Play the game how you want to", but honestly leaving out modifiers will go directly against that statement. Not everyone in the BWE knows that ANet "plans" to implement the modifiers before launch and I know a few hardcore pvpers that will be IMMEDIATELY turned off by the absence of modifiers. Again, this wouldn't be an issue or feel like a futile cry of frustration at ANet if they would just have the damn forums up. The vast majority of people on these forums and other forums are wanting modifiers, and we don't even know if someone from ANet sees our complaints because they have yet to open their official forums so we'd all have the proper channels to address these issues.

They might have gotten some feedback from the CBT testers, but I think we can all agree that the majority of those players didn't know much about the game and in general these players were terrible to begin with. So the feedback ANet got from those CBT's will be skewed when actual good players get their hands on the game and bitch their heads off at such a simple quality of life feature being mysteriously missing from the game. Honestly ANet, it should be already in the game. The talk of trying to dethrone WoW when you haven't put in a feature found in pretty much every MMO that improves control and functionality for the player, is going to bite you in the ass. If you need help with the coding, call me and my friends and I will gladly put in the late hours to fix this issue.

I agree with everything you stated 100%!!!! In fact if the game doesn't have this functionality, I will go back to playing World of Warcraft just like I did when Guild Wars was released. Guild Wars 2 MUST have this functionality for me to play it. Others may not see the need, but for me this is a must-have to play it.

Deleted
    I hope for midifiers too, just because it is easier and the buttons might be easier to reach, BUT really? you have, like you mentioned, a maximum of what? 14 abilities? How small are your fingers? everyone can reach 1,2,3,4,5,q,e,r,t,f,g,c,v easylie and then there is the mousewheel on every modern mouse if you count mousup and mouse down plus mousewheelclick you have 16 buttons that is more than you have to bind. All you have to learn is get used to it

I would like to play with modifiers myself too, just because it is easier, but if they say: No there will be no modifiers it is just something you have to learn...

I have a Naga and there's only like ~10 skills per character? I really don't care one way or the other.

Edit: ~10 skills at once.

It's just perplexing that they would overlook this sort of thing in the game. They've said many times that they want to make this game into a competitive E-Sport, and I know there are quite a few PvPers out there that use modifiers extensively. There is no downside to implementing them into the game. The reason I'm so adamant about this issue is from the fact that the first Guild Wars didn't use modifiers. Guild Wars 2 is a heavily modified engine from gw1, which had no modifiers enabled. When they started making code for the new game, they just copy and pasted segments that wouldn't mess up in the new one. Copying a simple keybinding segment would be easy and wouldn't interfere with the rest of the coding process. This explains why even on the last CBT, there were still no modifiers. I rant and rave hoping to draw attention to this matter because the "valued" feedback they got in these press betas were largely from idiots who knew nothing about MMOs or were just very bad, given the evidence we've seen in the many videos.

There is no official forum yet for GW2(Another mistake), so a lot of these valid concerns and issues with the game never get seen by the team. If I was making a fighting game for instance and I wanted it to be the most versatile and balanced fighting game, I wouldn't ask a bunch of 12 year old kids who know nothing other than to button mash to be my testers and give me valuable feedback. I'd start with the top fighting game players from all sorts of games to try it out and tell me what they think. I'm just doing this to make the community aware that come the BWE, flood them with the feedback. I dearly hope that this is my only complaint with the game come this weekend, and likewise for all of you.

---------- Post added 2012-04-24 at 12:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fr0hlic View Post
    I hope for midifiers too, just because it is easier and the buttons might be easier to reach, BUT really? you have, like you mentioned, a maximum of what? 14 abilities? How small are your fingers? everyone can reach 1,2,3,4,5,q,e,r,t,f,g,c,v easylie and then there is the mousewheel on every modern mouse if you count mousup and mouse down plus mousewheelclick you have 16 buttons that is more than you have to bind. All you have to learn is get used to it

I would like to play with modifiers myself too, just because it is easier, but if they say: No there will be no modifiers it is just something you have to learn...
    People think that because I have an issue with not having modifiers, I cannot play the game at all. No, I can rework my keyboard to accommodate this terrible design. This is not the point people. There is no justifiable reason not to have it in the game. All it does it make the game more accessible and provide ergonomics to the individual playing so that they can have a pleasurable experience with it. I've never used g, t, v, y or whatever else in any of my MMOs for combat keys. I've been playing with modifiers for over a decade now, and many other players too.

For players that like to use ESDF for movement and remap everything all over the place and don't use keybinds, having the option for modifiers does NOTHING to their experience and enjoyment of the game. For players like me, who have been used to having modifiers and thoroughly enjoy them, to have to teach themselves new muscle memory and try to adjust to an uncomfortable setup would immediately put a tarnish on our experience with GW2.

There is only a negative aspect to this design decision, and <-- THIS is what people need to realize. When you come into a market dominated by the gluttonous dog that is ActiBlizz and WoW, you need to have every gun loaded and blade sharpened when you step into that arena.
    Last edited by Ryph; 2012-04-24 at 06:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't believe people are actually defending the no modifiers thing. It's not hard to code it in and it barely takes any time, there's no reason not to have modifiers as an option.

Being a little dramatic don't you think?

Indications seem to point them putting in modifiers for launch. But they might not be in this BWE.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Being a little dramatic don't you think?
    Not really. If he said he was thinking of cutting himself, that might be a little dramatic. Pointing out that it's a poor choice on Anet's part not to put their efforts into supplying this feature would be.

Perhaps it's not easy for someone who doesn't use modifiers to understand, but my own experience with games that don't allow modifiers is that they just feel "off". I either have to click abilities, or distort my hand into rather inefficient poses to hit buttons I am not accustomed to hitting. In a game so heavily reliant on movement, I'm anticipating that this will be more noticeable than ever. It does not need to be a frustration worthy of tearing my hair out in order to impact my experience on a deeply psychological level, and even a mild but consistent frustration during gameplay can detract from the experience. Anet says they are trying to release the highest quality game ever created: I think they can do that, but I think this is a bigger deal to some players than they are aware of.

Edit: The above is in reference to the idea that it might not be fixed by this beta weekend. I do definitely hope it will be fixed so I can thoroughly enjoy my experience and properly gauge the gameplay of the game. If not, it's not the end of the world but it would still be kind of silly in my opinion for them to leave it as a last minute thing to do.

If they do not implement it at all, I will be very disappointed. Refusal to implement basic functionality is a Blizzard thing to do, and I haven't come to expect that kind of stubbornness from Anet. I'm sure it will be fixed eventually either way.
    Last edited by Rahzael; 2012-04-25 at 01:01 AM.

There is no way they leave out something as important as key bindings, I refuse to use anything past 4, it's too much of a reach to use anything past 4 quickly.
    You know the thing...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Unfortunately, some people in the beta said that was not actually how smart casting worked for AoE skills, and that it simply used the skill directly under an enemy (which I would hate)
    I'm very much hoping that the yogscast is right and that the NDA breakers are wrong, but we'll have to see in the 'open' beta coming up.
    I can't see Simon and Lewis testing it extensively, so I don't doubt they could have gotten the way that fast casting works slightly wrong.

Really hope they were right, but not getting my hopes TOO high.
    Hmm... that seems a bit odd, as I'm ~95% sure that Lewis' necromancer cast his AoE spells on the ground when no enemies were around at least 20 times. One would think that (even) he would notice if they're not instantly cast in those situations.

Oh well, we'll find out in a few days!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    He has the "poor mans naga"

<stalker, wat?
    and where can i purchase that ? think i paid 65 pound for mine, wont even mention the Anansi keyboard.......

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Hmm... that seems a bit odd, as I'm ~95% sure that Lewis' necromancer cast his AoE spells on the ground when no enemies were around at least 20 times. One would think that (even) he would notice if they're not instantly cast in those situations.

Oh well, we'll find out in a few days!
    I just skipped around in that video. There was two times I saw where he clearly had a target and dropped it on his mouse, and not the target.

Deleted
    i got no idea if it will use modifiers for keybinds BUT. I like A-net, just went to the forums and i Saw this

http://cloudfront.guildwars2.com/QRC...NA_Digital.jpg

dunno how to resize so just a url

but the chart is in USenglish, UKenglish, German and French ion the forum. Aready a win in my book for Anet there
    Last edited by mmoc7c0806276b; 2012-04-25 at 08:21 AM.

AoE Types; Necromancer skill types

AoE Types (from Guild Wars 2 Wiki)
    Cone: Skills that hit all targets in a specific angle and direction in front of the caster, such as the spell Drake's Breath.
    Ground target: Skills that require a selected point in the game world, like the spell Phoenix.
    Point blank: Skills that cause an effect around the caster, see necro wells in next section below.
    Target point blank: Skills that cause an effect on those within a specific area around an enemy, like the elite Destruction, which causes all attacks to turn into target point blank area of effect.
    Trail: Skills that cause an effect on the path the caster or projectile moves along after activation, such as the spell Burning Retreat.
    Vertical: Skills that create a vertically-aligned effect to affect those above and below its position, such as the underwater skill Pillar of Light.

Special skill types for Necromancer (from Guild Wars 2 Wiki)
    Marks — these are ground-targeted AoE spells that produce a variety of effects for allies and foes. Marks are placed at a location and will trigger after a set period of time, but can be manually activated by hitting the skill again.
    Minions — the necromancer summons undead minions to attack foes and do his bidding. Every minion-summoning spell has an associated secondary spell that appears after the minion has been summoned. This secondary spell changes the abilities of a minion, or destroys it for the necromancer's benefit.
    Wells — wells are persistent AoE spells that allow a necromancer to control the area around him. Created at the necromancer's location, wells affect targets within the skill's range.
    Last edited by glakuns; 2012-04-26 at 10:44 PM. Reason: more info

Personally, I would plan on these features not being available. It's beta, not everything planned for full launch is in yet, some planned-for features may also be disabled for the time being (case in point: Asura and Sylvari starting areas). If you plan on them NOT being available, and it turns out they are, then you won't be disappointed. :-)

Being an avid macro user and keybinder, I hope its sufficient in that area... if not I'll be very disappointed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be shocked if Anet doesn't allow customizable keybinds since they've mentioned numerous times that they want GW2 to be an Esport. I don't see any kind of hardcore pvp'ers using the 6-0 keys while doing 5v5s.