Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is there a "point" to fear ward?

Something that's been bugging me for some time;

Fear ward, in its current incarnation, seems almost completely useless.

The only uses I've found for it:

1. Core hound trash in firelands

2. When running towards a priest/lock in arena, aiming to get a fear on them - sometimes it doesnt get insta-dispelled

3. Adding more clutter that needs dispelling at the start of an arena.

4. When I've not got enough time to LoS a casted fear.

Now granted that appears a fair amount, but when you consider the very large CD, and the fact that all of those uses are highly situational, it seems highly underpowered.

So, my question is this; could fear ward be changed in a manner to make it more useful without being OP.

My ideas are nothing highly new or orignal, so any input would be appreciated

Specifically I was thinking about changes along the following lines:

- Keep mechanics the same but reduced CD to same as if it were glyhped.

- make usable while feared - like zerker rage, lichbourne, will of forsaken, bestial wrath - ALL of which have shorter CDs

- make undispellable - similar to shammies earth shield.

I DON'T propose all of those changes at the same time - just one would make the spell feel useful.
    Last edited by Fabio; 2012-04-24 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    The cooldown could use a reduction (1.5-2 minutes seems a bit more reasonable) and out of convenience, it could use grounding totem treatment (party blanket coverage).

Other than that, the only thing I can think of that would make it more attractive is a shield or heal when it's consumed or dispelled, or even a fear reflection to the caster.
    Temple of Light-ShadowsongUS
    Get Along Gang-ShadowsongUS (Disbanded)
    ~Alanaria~:::Cyclønite:::Thelek

Deleted
    Keep in mind that Fear Ward back in the days was the dwarven priest racial ability. I guess Blizzards view is "be happy to have it like it is".

Many classes have abilities that will never be used, EVER. And people don't seem to complain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rinleezwins View Post
    Many classes have abilities that will never be used, EVER. And people don't seem to complain.
    We have mind vision to

Quote Originally Posted by rinleezwins View Post
    Every third thread on here is a complaint :P

This just seems like something that needs a tiny tweak to be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    We have mind vision to

Now now, I get lots of use outta Mind Vision. I sit around in Org and chain cast Mind Vision to hop from one person to another and cover the whole city without ever having to leave the bank.

Deleted
    I enjoy putting it on the warrior who is charging towards the enemy priest and watching the priest panic as his Psychic Scream didn't have the intended effect. Other than that it doesn't have much use except as something to dispel or to have dispelled.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    This just seems like something that needs a tiny tweak to be useful.
    Well, you found 4 uses for its current state, right?

i love the idea of being able to use it while feared. it would eliminate likeliness of it ever being dispelled; unless you see a fear being casted, and their dispeller just times it well.

Fear ward is fine, stop trying to fish for buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Amilee View Post
    Well, you found 4 uses for its current state, right?
    Uses 1 and 3 were very generously termed *uses* :P

Quote Originally Posted by Retror View Post
    Fear ward is fine, stop trying to fish for buffs.
    A well made argument.......

Its usefulness is in no way proportionate to its CD.

Deleted
    It's extremely good for PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucette View Post
    It's extremely good for PvP.
    Unless you're against anyone who can dispell.

I'm a very average pvper and just have an aura that shows fearward on focus, press my dispell once, and BAM, 3min CD gone in a GCD.

In mists with dispells mattering more, fear ward may become better....will have to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fear ward is a vestigial spell left over from the days when players brought unique skills to the table that had the ability to make or break an encounter. It's current manifestation merely represents one of the earliest exercises into class homogenization and has very few current applications. When Blizzard decided to give it to everyone, they began to program content with the spell in mind where once it was considered a niche utility and summarily overlooked. In other words, there is no point to fear ward... now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    Unless you're against anyone who can dispell.

I'm a very average pvper and just have an aura that shows fearward on focus, press my dispell once, and BAM, 3min CD gone in a GCD.

In mists with dispells mattering more, fear ward may become better....will have to see.
    That's because you're playing vs bad priests.

A good priest will use it when it's required. For instance:

-When a priest is within fear range of him
    -when a warrior is in fear range of the priest, while focusing another target
    -When the priest sees a bad fear being cast on him which he cannot LoS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucette View Post
    That's because you're playing vs bad priests.

A good priest will use it when it's required. For instance:

-When a priest is within fear range of him
    -when a warrior is in fear range of the priest, while focusing another target
    -When the priest sees a bad fear being cast on him which he cannot LoS.
    Unless mid cast, or LoS'd then in all those cases it can still be dispelled in a GCD.

A weakness not shared by every other fear removing ability. All of which have a lower CD. *blanket statement, there's probably something i've forgotten, but the VAST majority can be used while feared and are substantially less vulnerable than fear ward.

Deleted
    I think as you highlighted earlier it will become a lot stronger with the new dispel model. Although teams could still run dispel heavy comps, with the new cooldown it's unlikely they'd get rid of enough buffs to guarantee dispelling Fear Ward.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Totemanic View Post
    I think as you highlighted earlier it will become a lot stronger with the new dispel model. Although teams could still run dispel heavy comps, with the new cooldown it's unlikely they'd get rid of enough buffs to guarantee dispelling Fear Ward.
    Doesn't dispel clean all (de)buffs in one go in mop, but with an 8 second cooldown or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Theleklol View Post
    The cooldown could use a reduction (1.5-2 minutes seems a bit more reasonable) and out of convenience, it could use grounding totem treatment (party blanket coverage).
    ahhh I would love that