Spirit Shell == Flash Heal?

Spirit Shell is now a 1.5 second cast and 6% of base mana, the same as flash heal. I thought they were going to replace GH with SS (even worse idea). So, does this basically make SS useless? I use flash heal so rarely its bound to a function key.... Seems blizz doesn't really know where its going with disc atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    One is an emergency heal. The other is a preventive heal. :P

So those healing spells aren't used in the same situation. Also, spirit shell ''heals'' for about 30-40% more. But since it's damage prevention, it doesn't mean it'll always be effective. RNG factor comes into play as well as the ability to anticipate well what's going to happen.

Spirit Shell is tied by abilities from the discipline tree, and you won't be using greater heal at all as disc since it's removed from your spec.

To sum up, while Blizzard gave both specs a wide variety of tools, some spells are better than others to use within your spec.

EDIT: Also, I'll point out that while SS is more effective than Flash Heal, my guess is you can't stack it to get a gigantic absorb, so you'll still be casting those flash heals if needed (which is rare in a raid environment anyway). Can someone confirm this, please?
    Last edited by Furye; 2012-04-25 at 03:33 AM.
    >>Because having a signature is so mainstream.<<

Quote Originally Posted by Randomerror View Post
    Spirit Shell is now a 1.5 second cast and 6% of base mana, the same as flash heal. I thought they were going to replace GH with SS (even worse idea). So, does this basically make SS useless? I use flash heal so rarely its bound to a function key.... Seems blizz doesn't really know where its going with disc atm.
    Look at today's beta change, SS has the chance to give you a proc to make you next PW:S to neglect Weakened Soul, I guess Disc priests will start spamming weakened soul from now on :S

Quote Originally Posted by Ossi View Post
    Look at today's beta change, SS has the chance to give you a proc to make you next PW:S to neglect Weakened Soul, I guess Disc priests will start spamming weakened soul from now on :S
    And Greater Heal can do the same with Prayer of Mending for Holy.

Is this change in our database? Or is it on the servers? Need confirmation.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    And Greater Heal can do the same with Prayer of Mending for Holy.

Is this change in our database? Or is it on the servers? Need confirmation.
    saw that on the front page, guess it's in our database. You need a talent for that though. Since I'm new and can't post link yet, you'll need to go check yourself "divine Insight" in the data base ]wowdb.com/spells/109175-divine-insight#15589-15640

10+ Year Old Account
    Really need to get done with work shift so I can log in and see what has actually changed... so many rumors and hearsay flying around
    Professor Necomi - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Necomi/simple
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

I believe PWS is supposed to be Flash Heal equivalent and SS is Greater Heal. They said it in a blue post not long ago.

Deleted
    Spirit Shell (2,5 s cast) absorbs on a premade 48000 (Power Word: Shield 41000 for reference), the same was healed with Greater Heal on a Target with full grace. The advantage of the new Spirit Shell comared to Greater Heal is of course that Spirit Shell scales with Mastery. The absorption is of course not influenced by grace, the 80% rest healing also not. Heal is also bugged in the moment, since it is not effected by grace. I don'k know what to think about the 25% mediation.

I'm not really a big fan of Spirit Shell, beacause of losing Greater Heal. Spirit Shell might be nice for Tank Healing, for Healing injured raid members it's not great. For an emergency Heal you will use flash heal, shield or penance; if someone is lets say at 50% i would normally cast Greater Heal. If you know cast Spirit Shell it is great, if the target is further damaged. If the target is not damaged, the heal comes after 8 seconds, which results for sure in overhealing in a raid. The worse thing in this situation is, that you cannot cast two Spirit Shells, you have to start casting Heal after the first Shell. I really think Greater Heal was better in this situation. In very situataional fights like Morchok Hc Shell is of course better than GH, but not really better than what we had before (no cooldown Shield).
    Last edited by mmoc4a508c869e; 2012-04-25 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyra View Post
    Spirit Shell (2,5 s cast) absorbs on a premade 48000 (Power Word: Shield 41000 for reference), the same was healed with Greater Heal on a Target with full grace. The advantage of the new Spirit Shell comared to Greater Heal is of course that Spirit Shell scales with Mastery. The absorption is of course not influenced by grace, the 80% rest healing also not.
    Yep. Disc no longer has Gheal, but Spirit Shell with a 2,5 sec casttime.

On my priest it absorbs 58k, a heal heals 19k. Both have the same casttime, while heal has 1/3 of the manacost of SShell.

With a Mastery heavy Build and the new Divine Insight, Disc might be forced into tank healing...

Spirit Shell now costs 6% of Base Mana, up from 2%. Now has a 1.5 sec cast time, down from 3 sec. now absorbs (32,648 + 219.0% of SP) spell damage. Healing now procs when the shield expires or is dispelled.

That's from front page of MMO Champ. 1.5 sec cast time not 2.5. Is this wrong? And 6% base mana cost puts it in line with flash heal. Seems cost prohibitive as a main spam.

Deleted
    Bugged 1.5sec, its 2.5 on beta.

SS force us to drop crit completely cuz it does not interact with it.
    I dont mind the healing Tank role, as thats with i am atm on live

But the fact that SS does not do anything with Crit, the heal part u never see so crit on that is useless as well.
    If they make it able to crit they could do it like the current 4set T13 bonus.

For healing an injured raider we still have penance, which u can glyph and cast on the move.

It looks like SS is replacing Gheal as Gheal is no longer available to disc.

I am NOT happy about this change, this is a huge throuput nerf. SS shields for ~30k, gheal heals for ~30-40k, crits for 100k + crits give DA. I would love to log in and test it out, to see if anything was changed to compensate, but I can't stay logged in for more than 30 seconds. Yay for beta.
    Last edited by scandore8472; 2012-04-25 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scandore8472 View Post
    I am NOT happy about this change, this is a huge throuput nerf. SS shields for ~30k, gheal heals for ~30-40k, crits for 100k + crits give DA. I would love to log in and test it out, to see if anything was changed to compensate, but I can't stay logged in for more than 30 seconds. Yay for beta.
    Numbers balance can come after so that they would be relatively equal. Saying you don't like Spirit Shell because it doesn't heal as much as a Greater Heal isn't all that important of feedback.

What is important is that a) Its cap is way too small, and b) it has zero scaling with crit. If Blizzard addresses both of these issues first, then numbers after will be fine.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Numbers balance can come after so that they would be relatively equal. Saying you don't like Spirit Shell because it doesn't heal as much as a Greater Heal isn't all that important of feedback.

What is important is that a) Its cap is way too small, and b) it has zero scaling with crit. If Blizzard addresses both of these issues first, then numbers after will be fine.
    I finally was able to get into beta and it looks like they really buffed the hell out of SS, a lot more than the data mined changes show, it's shields for 45-50k and it stacks like DA, the cap looks like it's 40% of the priests health (not sure what it was before).

It still doesn't interact with ToT or grace, and it doesn't appear to crit, so it's still needs a lot of work, but it's getting better. Also, mana usage is really, really bad without SS interacting with ToT. Mindbender talent is a must until they get it sorted out. I'm still not to sure about it though, if you get behind on shielding, it can be rough trying to heal the tank back up if there is a lot of AoE damage.

Speaking of AoE healing, it got worse, it looks like they nerfed renew. It was ticking for ~8k per tick (glyphed) pre-patch, now its down to ~6.5k (glyphed). Disc's AoE healing feels very weak.

If it stacks up to 40% priest hp now it's great news(before it was up to only 20%)
    But it needs to scale with crit now aswell.

And Disc needs som AoE love... One thing I've dreamed of would be a "cleave" to Penence... let it work with Inner Focus as an example to make it split into 3, healing the top 3 damaged raidmembers. would be enough for me realy, something other then a rough PoH blanket for AE.

Deleted
    After I finished the DK-questline for the first time and saw that super special super awesome priest at the chapel cast his "cleave-Penance" I've dreamed about something like that aswell. Looked pretty awesome and would be really useful for healing raidmembers who are not in the same group >_>
    I think I'd be more appropriate if SpS stacks up to 40% of the targets health so you can get higher SpS on tanks if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by scandore8472 View Post
    It looks like SS is replacing Gheal as Gheal is no longer available to disc.

I tried to test it out last night but I had the same problem with getting booted within seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Schnappi View Post
    After I finished the DK-questline for the first time and saw that super special super awesome priest at the chapel cast his "cleave-Penance" I've dreamed about something like that aswell. Looked pretty awesome and would be really useful for healing raidmembers who are not in the same group >_>
    I think I'd be more appropriate if SpS stacks up to 40% of the targets health so you can get higher SpS on tanks if necessary.
    A Penance cleave would be freaking amazing.

Inner Focus+Penance. Your penance now smart heals 2 targets.

---------- Post added 2012-04-26 at 11:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Randomerror View Post
    I tried to test it out last night but I had the same problem with getting booted within seconds.
    I was having the same problem until I limped myself to the mountains outside org, and I stopped crashing.