Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Dream PC Build [Build log] NZXT Switch 810 *COMPLETE*

So, I have purchased everything (i think). Everything is on its way!!! I will be updating this thread with pics and progress throughout my build. Thanks everyone for awesome advice through this!

I think it's name is "Frosty Dream"

Case-NZXT Switch 810 white
    PSU- NZXT Hale90 1000w 80+ gold
    CPU- 3930k
    Mobo- Asus p9x79 WS
    Ram- Corsair Vengeance 32gb (8x4) quad kit
    GPU's- 2xPowercolor 7970 LCS w/ ek waterblocks
    HDD-WD 1tb black
    SSD- Samsung 830 512 gb
    Bluray- LG 12x
    O.S.- Windows 7 Professional
    Surge
    Mouse- Logitech G700
    Keyboard- Corsair k90
    Headset- Sennheiser PC333d
    Monitors- 3xDell U2412M
    TV - 42" LG 120hz
    Realspace Magellan L Desk
    Serta Big and Tall Microfiber chair

Watercooling:
    XSPC 360 Rad
    XSPC 240 Rad
    XSPC Raystorm CPU block
    D5 pump
    UV Blue 1/2" x 3/4" tubing
    Fittings and etc.

Rough Setup to come:

Pretty much everything minus H2O stuff!!!

Watercooling stuff has arrived!

Installed motherboard, ram, psu

Raystorm Block Installed

Leak Testing!

Last edited by Voorhees83; 2012-05-31 at 01:38 PM.

Mod note: Let's keep things relevant, this is build log, not a chat thread.

OT: I'm very excited to see this build come together. It is definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity for you, enjoy it! I eagerly await pictures.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Voorhees,

How much did this computer cost?

When purchasing from FrozenCPU.com make sure you use the promo code "xtreme" for 5% off your purchase. Also, Performance-PCs.com tends to have cheaper shipping and prices on their cooling products than FrozenCPU. The kit you are purchasing, however, is the same price on both sites.

I'm very interested in seeing this completed build, love the choice of parts!

I wound up with a similar build in the same case - went with the blackice GT Stealth 420 rad, plan to eventually add a 2nd 280 rad in the bot.

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 10:16 PM ----------

and no, a 360 rad wont handle both cards + a 3930k if you plan to do any serious overclocking. If your on a budget, your better off spending more on your cooling now, and then just adding a 2nd card down the line

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 10:17 PM ----------

I did buy EVGA cards - however I just got the regular reference cards and put on the backplate myself - saved some money and got a better plate as well.

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 10:18 PM ----------

(the blackice rads do actually fit in the switch810 without having to mod the holes, not sure if the raystorm set will or not - the holes are 15mm spacing.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well all of the stuff I ordered should arrive today or tomorrow, so that is exciting. But i am still waiting to get my watercooling and gpu's. Still up in the air on waiting on the 680s to come in stock reference and attempt to put blocks on my self, or wait for the hydrocoppers. Or get 7970's same dilemma, wait on powercolor or attempt myself (scared of crossfire driver issues though).

Hapylol, I have spent just under $5800 for everything so far, leaving me $2200 left for gpu's, cooling, additional cables/fittings, etc.

Perderer, thanks for the pro code, most likely will use that for sure.

Tulion, great info. I dont plan on any extreme overclocking because I want fully stable and fully reliable for longevity. I believe the raystorm 360 also has 15mm spacing from what I can find. So could I add a smaller radiator in the bottom (where the bottom HDD trays can be removed) Like just a single rad add on with the 360 up top? I will be asking for more help with Water cooling as soon as I get everything together to get the build going, so I don't screw up.

Also, what backplate specifically did you get for your EVGA cards? and how difficult are they to install?

I do have 1 more question for anyone. I have a Havik 120 coming that I pretty much got free, and was debating on building everything I have minus the watercooling and new gpu's. I was thinking of putting my 6870 from my PC atm in there, just to check that all the other components are working before doing the water cooling.

1. Would that be a good idea? or a waste and I should just wait to get everything and do it all at once?
    2. If I install the Havik 120, will I have issues with removing the thermal paste or anything like that on my cpu, when I install the new block for watercooling?? dont want to damage a 3930k at the price?

Checking that your stuff is working before assembling them into your case is a good idea. Removing the cooler afterwards varies a bit. The NZXT Switch 810 should not prove to have any issues in wait for you.

You won't harm anything. What can be harmed sometimes is if you accidentally break a pin on the socket. That'd be annoying. However, just exercise usual caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Voorhees83 View Post

Tulion, great info. I dont plan on any extreme overclocking because I want fully stable and fully reliable for longevity. I believe the raystorm 360 also has 15mm spacing from what I can find. So could I add a smaller radiator in the bottom (where the bottom HDD trays can be removed) Like just a single rad add on with the 360 up top? I will be asking for more help with Water cooling as soon as I get everything together to get the build going, so I don't screw up.

Also, what backplate specifically did you get for your EVGA cards? and how difficult are they to install?

I do have 1 more question for anyone. I have a Havik 120 coming that I pretty much got free, and was debating on building everything I have minus the watercooling and new gpu's. I was thinking of putting my 6870 from my PC atm in there, just to check that all the other components are working before doing the water cooling.
    I have a 360 60mm thick rad in the top and a 240 60mm thick rad in the bottom of my Switch 810. With a 60mm rad the top left fan will not fit for push/pull on the 360 rad. The EPS plug and the mosfet heatsink are in the way. However, push/pull fans fit fine on the bottom 240 rad.

I have EK Waterblocks on my 680's. I will take a pic of the waterblock and backplate tonight when I get home so you can see what they look like.

15+ Year Old Account
    IMO go with Radeon cards. I don't know if nvidia has stepped up their game in the latest generation, but AMD's Eyefinity makes multi-monitor setups like you have very easy to use
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still up in the air on GPU's and H20, but my first shipment came in, and my NZXT shipment got delayed :/

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tired of waiting, so I just purchased my two Powercolor 7970s LCS w/ the EK waterblocks!!!

Now just to get it all and decide on my watercooling setup!!!

Remember to leakcheck the cards before making a full loop and all that shebang. Last thing you want is water dripping.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ya im not gonna lie... I am scared to death about this watercooling stuff. Luckily I have a guy that is going to hopefully help me through the process. (hopefully!)

I don't like your Motherboard but other then that nice

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Any reasons why on the Mobo choice? I hate red so all of those boards were out lol.

So what's missing now again?

Ya im not gonna lie... I am scared to death about this watercooling stuff. Luckily I have a guy that is going to hopefully help me through the process. (hopefully!)
    Have you seen TTL's "How To Watercool" videos? That's where I learned how to do it. He doesn't tell you how to flush or leak test individual parts, but he covers everything else.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6qpkigby5w&
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzBBjkIw7wU&

I'm half tempted to offer to drive to Indiana to help you out lol, just so I can say I got to see your PC in person.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am fully up for that man, I wouldn't mind meeting you one bit. Thanks for the help.

Deleted
    I am fully up for that man, I wouldn't mind meeting you one bit. Thanks for the help.
    You'd better prepare some milk and cookies, and give the man some gas money