Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Guild Wars 2 Will be CPU-bound

This is probably really old news, but I haven't seen it, and to be honest, I thought this game was GPU-bound, but no :P

Hardware Compatibility

Display: the graphics-settings slider has only a minor impact on performance at this time.
    We are currently optimizing Guild Wars 2, making ongoing improvements to the game’s frame rate. Presently, the game is CPU-bound on most high-end systems, so lowering graphics settings or upgrading your video card may not have a large impact on performance.
    On older or lower-end machines, it is recommended that you try disabling reflections to improve frame rate.

I found it on GW2's forum '' currently known issues''

Deleted
    Though it's listed under "known issues", so it may change a little before the game goes live when they've managed to optimize the game more.

15+ Year Old Account
    MMOs are usually more CPU-bound then GPU-bound as they tend to have lower graphics then games in other genres but more things to process at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    MMOs are usually more CPU-bound then GPU-bound as they tend to have lower graphics then games in other genres but more things to process at a time.
    I don't... What? That doesn't make sense at all. O.o
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    Rift is all about GPU And I still don't know why they havent made the game to support CF.... not even a 680 or 7970 will handle that game on ultra while in raids/doing rifts

They are working on optimizing the game. That is why the game is CPU heavy right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not worried
    |Asus Sabertooth 990FX|AMD Phenom II 1090T 4.2Ghz x6|XFX R7970 Black Edition|Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz 8gb|Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling|

That's fine, I've been waiting for a game that would make me want to OC my i5 2500k. Bring it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    That's fine, I've been waiting for a game that would make me want to OC my i5 2500k. Bring it.
    This ^

My Phenom II 1090T is running at 4.2 Ghz with plenty more power in reserve, 4.8 Ghz is easily achieved should i struggle in GW2. also hoping it will be a multi-threaded application so it'll run on all 6 cores :P
    |Asus Sabertooth 990FX|AMD Phenom II 1090T 4.2Ghz x6|XFX R7970 Black Edition|Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz 8gb|Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling|

Deleted
    neither am i. got my i2500k at 4ghz, though i want my CF with 2x 6950 2gb to be used as well

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    neither am i. got my i2500k at 4ghz, though i want my CF with 2x 6950 2gb to be used as well
    Well if what people are saying is true, and it isn't GPU intensive atall you shouldn't have any troubles with a single 6950

Though i'd like to see CF working aswell, just to make sure they've given every user some thought

I think it's a good choice to be CPU orientated, due to the high prices of graphics cards nowadays it's alot cheaper i'd say to upgrade mobo & grab a 2500k rather than buying a gtx680, or the ati equivalent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

I wonder if I'll have a hard time running it with my laptop specs here

Specifications for the Gateway P-6831FX include:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 5450 CPU 1.67 GHz
    3 GB DDR2 RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTS 512 MB GDDR3

I had little issue (maybe a -little- stutter here and there when there were a crap ton of things going on at once) in the D3 beta. But not sure if that's a good game to go by comparatively. I hope I won't have much trouble.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lolsteak View Post
    a gtx680, or the ati equivalent.
    a HD 8970?

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    a HD 8970?
    I much prefer my 9970.

Deleted
    Well that was to be expected
    I'm not worried at all, got a new rig few months ago and im pretty sure i7 2600k alongside my 580gtx will handle it at ultra without problems :>

I mean, that's good and bad right? I know for myself, I can upgrade all the way to an i7 with my current motherboard at a lower cost than a new GPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is no good news for my old AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ .. Guess ill have to wait to get all the money i need for my new pc. =(

Help me Core 2 Duo T7250 @ 2.0 GHz, you're my only hope.

Deleted
    Dww... I hate overclocking, I was hoping my GPU could just om nom nom this game. -_-