Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    How good is this processor I have:

AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8 GHz

I have a Geforce GTX 560 and I can't run on ultra. I don't know if it's because of the CPU instead of GPU thing or what. I am a computer hardware noob.

laptop with...

core 2 duo 2.26
    nvidia 9800 GTS
    WD black hard drives
    4 gigs RAM

its struggling big time, i'm assming its my less-then-optimal laptop. 1900 resolution and it hurts.

getting 5 FPS when i run fraps, never more then 15 FPS and once its open areas, holy cow its under 10 fps even on everything low and off.

really with i could play this on high settings, from what screenshots and pics i see this game looks amazing at high settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    How good is this processor I have:

AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8 GHz

I have a Geforce GTX 560 and I can't run on ultra. I don't know if it's because of the CPU instead of GPU thing or what. I am a computer hardware noob.
    Definitely CPU. Not much you can do. My video card utilization, especially in high character situations, would stay steady at 15-50%. AKA Video card is starved while the CPU struggles at 95-99% utilization.

I really need to build a new machine. Using an old Core 2 Duo Wolfdale E7500. CPU bottlenecks everything.

The only two things you can realistically do is: get a better CPU or wait until Guild Wars 2 is released and is sufficiently optimized.

However, most MMO's are inherently CPU intensive. I like to root for the underdog, AMD, however, their CPU's are just so vastly under-performing in the gaming category compared to Sandy/Ivy Bridge.
    Last edited by Frostea23; 2012-04-30 at 03:07 AM.
    Waste not, want not.

I'm going to post this here and the laptop performance thread on GW2.

I played the beta (ie unoptimimized (and for the poster above that says this stuff is planned in advance...yes, there's a difference between a planned feature and optimized code)) on a G7 1150 laptop which was considered sub-marginal according to the gameplay anticipated specs.

It was very playable, probably 20-25fps, with some stutter on loading areas and loading for/after cinematics. Once a zone was loaded tho? Fine.

Even played some PVP and did ok although a couple of lag spikes killed me - I heard reports that was widespread for people in much better systems too.

So all in all, the HP G7 1150 - I doubt I'd try to play competitive PVP with it, but if I was at grandma's house just killing time? Sure, I'd play with that.
    -Styopa

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Fine with me. The game runs like a dream right now. I can't imagine it being better.
    It's no limited by anything at the moment. I had a total CPU usage of under 50% with single cores never going over 70% (i5 quad core) and GPU sitting at ~50% and spiking only during PvE cut scenes. Playing around with CPU frequencies did nothing. This was on maximum settings @1080p. I would get slowdowns in massive battles in WvW but CPU and GPU usage just sat there at those numbers in spite of fps visibly dropping.

The engine just seems very raw at the moment and it really needs polish in terms of actually using resources available. In fact, the only way I got it to use all of the resources was by playing the game on my E-450 laptop, which is way below minimum requirements but played the game on minimum settings, although at pretty atrocious fps.

I wouldn't hope for any miracles. The promised optimization could just be damage control.
    That being said I played it on my Q9550 4GHz and it ran well, so it's not like you'll have to spend a fortune to get something playable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if GW2 runs that well on my rig using my CPU i cannot wait til it is GPU/CPU bound, oh my giddy aunt Drool LOL

Well I got my i5 2500k and im definitely not going back to stock settings as with many other games i currently play it's a good performance increase with my OC.