Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Vent through headset, music through speakers

Hi guys, im using a USB headset at the moment, but i cant figure out a way to let WMP/Spotify/iTunes go through my monitor speakers while vent going through my headset.

Is there anything i can do to fix this? My monitor speakers connected through green port at the back, headset through line in, mic in and USB at the front.

Correct me if im wrong...but dont you need 2 soundcards for that?

It depends entirely on your audio card/onboard audio. There are ways to differentiate sources to different output channels. There used to be a program that allowed easy switching of this but I cannot remember the name of it. The easiest way to do it IMO is to buy a usb headset. If you already have a usb output to your headset, you should be able to set the default output device for your vent to go through USB Device in the vent setup options. You might have to turn direct sound and mixer off to do this.

You can still use your line in as mic through those same options.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Deleted
    I go then on exactly the same setup.

In windows, set the speakers/soundcard as the default device so everything goes through it and you should hear everything throught it first before next step.

Then open vent open the settings on the left hand side of the main window there is a input and output device, set these both to your headset input and outputs and make sure DirectSound is selected.

That is all you need to do.

You can just set the default playback from soundcard and from vent's setting you change its output to use the USB driver. That's how it worked atleast for me when I had USB-headset, my USB headphones created it's own "virtual soundcard".

Deleted
    In my playback devices, the only option is 'Speakers' or Realtek Digital Output, which doesnt work. So speakers is the only thing i can set as default. I do have a USB Headset, but W7 doesnt seem to recognize it.

In vent my options for Output with Direct Sound enabled are
    Default DirectSound device
    Realtek Digital Output
    Speakers

there doesnt seem to be a option for my headset

10+ Year Old Account
    you installed you headphones drivers?

ive got usb headset, microsoft litechat lx3000, recently built a computer, just plugged them in with no issues, i have vent/mumble through headset, and games/youtube/tv through speakers.

w7 has an option in your audio settings to have your headset changed to your communication default... try that.

Deleted
    Well the headset has always worked fine, not sure where id find the drivers as it was made for Xbox360. TurtleBeach Earforce X11.

Where is that option?

Yeah sounds like you need to install the headset's drivers. Go to the manufacturer's website and see if they have any drivers to download for PC.

Go to Support->Downloads->Headphones

Edit: nvm, seem they only have user manuals there...
    Last edited by Howard Moon; 2011-11-22 at 02:59 PM.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Apparently it doesnt need or have drivers. Not sure why its not recognised though, messing it up a little.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Change the port the headset is using, reboot the pc, see if 7 recognizes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Granis View Post
    Correct me if im wrong...but dont you need 2 soundcards for that?
    The way I do it is I set my speakers as my "default" audio in windows, then select headphones as my output in vent options. Shouldn't require 2 soundcards.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitlovin View Post
    The way I do it is I set my speakers as my "default" audio in windows, then select headphones as my output in vent options. Shouldn't require 2 soundcards.
    I'm at work, so I can't verify my setup, but I believe I have similar. I also know that I just use the integrated audio that's on my motherboard.

The only thing I would point out beyond that is I need to plug my USB headset into the socket first, then turn on vent. I recall issues in the past where if I turn on vent, then plug in the headset, the sound would all go to my headset or something goofy like that.

Deleted
    The only problem is, i cant set it to default as the only option available is 'Speakers' which doesnt change whether the USB Headset is in or not. I tried changing port and rebooting, it works but doesnt recognize it as it's own audio

---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 05:16 PM ----------

If i set my audio to 7.1 surround sound while the Headset is in, it puts all the sound through my monitor speakers not my headset, but then there is no headset option in vent, seems my only problem is getting my pc to recognise it?

Deleted
    If you go into the actual programs, then go into settings you should find an audio setting in them. From their you can switch vent to use your USB headphone speakers for sound.

man up and stop using vent. it's like dbm, makes average raiders feel like they're competent because someone else can tell them what to do on the fly

< glad you don't like vent, doesn't mean you have to belittle others who do use it >
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2011-11-22 at 05:25 PM.

Deleted
    Like i said above, the only options it gives are

'Default DirectSound Device'
    'Realtek Digital Output'
    'Speakers'

Deleted
    Is this with your headset plugged in?

Deleted
    Yep, via usb and mic and line in at the front.

Deleted
    hmm very intersting. I say this because this would have to imply that only your onboard sound is showing.

The 'default' option is simple, it tells the system to use the one the system has chosen as default
    The 'real tech digital output' is a mistery to me, as even my own machine displays this and it sure dosn't have one
    the 'speakers' is well self explanatiory, this would also be considered your 'default'

Seams something is defiantly a miss here. what is the brand of headset you are using?