Building rig for my Apple lover Brother.

My bro is an apple freak. But he wants a gaming PC desktop for new titles coming out this year. He has a lot of disposable income...and he wants me to make the build for him. He wants a good rig but nothing too crazy.
    Last edited by Friendlychap; 2012-04-29 at 11:45 AM.

Nice choice. Although I'd go for the 680 nVidia card, but I am one of those that want the top. However, I do not recommend getting the Corsair Force series. They have a habit of causing regular blue screens to the PC. Happened to me with the conclusion of the SSD just not working. I really have no idea just one day it wasn't responding.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Monitor : ASUS VE278Q 27" Widescreen LED Monitor
    PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1000w Power Supply Unit - Extreme overkill. 850 would suffice, definitely don't need 1k
    CASE: Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced Case No PSU
    RAM: G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4096mb) DDR3 1600 Ripjaws-X (PC12800 - F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) RAM Module Kit
    CPU:Intel Core i7 2700K Quad Core 3.5Ghz Socket 1155 CPU (8mb Cache) (He wants Hyper-threading) - I still suggest an i5-2500k. I doubt he would utilize the HT
    CPU cooler: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H60 High-performance CPU Cooler
    Motherboard:Asus P8Z77-V MB, Socket 1155, Intel Z77 Chipset, ATX Motherboard with WIFI (He wants a Z77 board so upgrade option is there for ivybridge)
    HDD 1:Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATAIII Hard Drive 64mb cache WD1002FAEX
    SSD 1: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB Solid State Hard Drive SSD - Switch to Crucial m4 128GB
    GPU 1: EVGA nVidia Geforce GTX570 R2 HD 1280mb - I would not recommend buying 2x 570's. If he wants top tier graphics just get 1 7970 or 680. This will also allow him to SLI/CF in the future when he actually needs it.
    GPU 2: EVGA nVidia Geforce GTX570 R2 HD 1280mb - Read above
    ROM drive: LGE GH24-NS90 24x Dual Layer Super Multi DVD Burner Black OEM - SATA

We can't find any EVGA 680s to buy so far (he only wants EVGA gpus, dont know why?) and he doesn't want a non-nvidia card. He said just to get 2 570's and he'll just upgrade to 680 later in the year when they become available (or SLi-670s when theyre released).

He has a lot of disposable income so he doesn't mind spending money on 2x570s for now even tho he'll replace in the next 6 months (which is sort of the reason he is buying a 2700k instead of waiting for the IVbridge cpu and why he wants a Z77 board)
    Last edited by Friendlychap; 2012-04-27 at 11:40 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    sounds like a big waste of money but o well.

Still recommend getting the Crucial m4(also if he feels like wasting disposable income) he might as well get a 256GB

Quote Originally Posted by Exzious View Post
    Nice choice. Although I'd go for the 680 nVidia card, but I am one of those that want the top. However, I do not recommend getting the Corsair Force series. They have a habit of causing regular blue screens to the PC. Happened to me with the conclusion of the SSD just not working. I really have no idea just one day it wasn't responding.

Yeah I am abit unsure of the SSD....but he wants it (he has SSDs in his mac's) I've heard lots of bad stories of SSDs of ALL brands....and Ive had lots of positives....so I knowdont who to believe...maybe it's just a very minor % of people having issues with their SSDs. Sort of like how people only really come onto forums and share their story when it's a negative experience so I don't really want to base the purchase on someone elses experience when they could have just had a bad one.

For example I am sure not 100% of people buying a i5-2500k had a flawless experience with OCing it, I bet there are people out there who are struggling to push 4.0Ghz without causing bluescreens while others are running all year round on 4.5ghz+

---------- Post added 2012-04-27 at 11:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hapylol View Post
    sounds like a big waste of money but o well.

Still recommend getting the Crucial m4(also if he feels like wasting disposable income) he might as well get a 256GB
    What about is a waste?

The 2600k is only a few dollars cheaper than the 2700k and he wants HT. (look at 2500k vs 2600k/2700k for results outside of gaming where HT counts, it's a pretty huge difference)

He wants SLI but can't find a brand of GPU he trusts for a 680 (he only wants EVGA cards with good warranty, not palit or any other random brand with short term warranty)

He wants a 27" because all of his macs are at least 27" (1 is 30")

He wants SSD b/c his macs all have them.

He wants 1k+ PSU so he has room for OCing the 2700k and IV3770k when he gets that...and room for using SLi570/670s and ocing a bit. So the 1k isn't a waste (unless he wasn't OCing)

Not sure what else I can change here?
    Last edited by Friendlychap; 2012-04-28 at 12:03 AM.

I doubt he will be happy with the ASUS VE278Q sitting next to his 27" mac monitors. You should really go for something better like the Dell U2711

The build is somewhat overkill in some places, the SSD is a wrong choice (go for the Crucial)
    and as for the monitor, get anything Eizo.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlychap View Post
    Yeah I am abit unsure of the SSD....but he wants it (he has SSDs in his mac's) I've heard lots of bad stories of SSDs of ALL brands....and Ive had lots of positives....so I knowdont who to believe...maybe it's just a very minor % of people having issues with their SSDs. Sort of like how people only really come onto forums and share their story when it's a negative experience so I don't really want to base the purchase on someone elses experience when they could have just had a bad one.

For example I am sure not 100% of people buying a i5-2500k had a flawless experience with OCing it, I bet there are people out there who are struggling to push 4.0Ghz without causing bluescreens while others are running all year round on 4.5ghz+

---------- Post added 2012-04-27 at 11:56 PM ----------

What about is a waste?

The 2600k is only a few dollars cheaper than the 2700k and he wants HT. (look at 2500k vs 2600k/2700k for results outside of gaming where HT counts, it's a pretty huge difference)

He wants SLI but can't find a brand of GPU he trusts for a 680 (he only wants EVGA cards with good warranty, not palit or any other random brand with short term warranty)

He wants a 27" because all of his macs are at least 27" (1 is 30")

He wants SSD b/c his macs all have them.

He wants 1k+ PSU so he has room for OCing the 2700k and IV3770k when he gets that...and room for using SLi570/670s and ocing a bit. So the 1k isn't a waste (unless he wasn't OCing)

Not sure what else I can change here?
    Crucial M4 is the SSD with the best reviews of them all, with the least problems.
    The waste is going for a i7. You said he wanted a Gaming computer, which means the i7 will be a complete waste straight away. A i5 will perform pretty much exactly the same in games, in some games it will perform better.
    Only EVGA being trusted? I can name you three others i know do good.. ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI.
    A 1000w PSU is completely overkill, even if you intend to overclock. 850w WILL be enough for both overclocking and SLI.

You wanted help with the build, you came here and made a post.
    Whats the point of asking for help, if you dont intend to follow the advice?

As others have said, the 1000w PSU is a waste. Also as others have said, the GTX 570 is a horrendous choice for a GPU now that the 7xxx series is out, not to mention dropping the money for 2 of them. Just kind of compounds the waste of money even further.

If he's been using Macs, where is he getting this type of ignorant bias against AMD from? That's what Macs have been using for years now for video cards. There's also plenty of other manufacturers that provide good warranties with their cards. If anything, EVGA is one of the absolute worst brands to overclock with since they use near reference coolers with horrible temperature outputs.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    As others have said, the 1000w PSU is a waste. Also as others have said, the GTX 570 is a horrendous choice for a GPU now that the 7xxx series is out, not to mention dropping the money for 2 of them. Just kind of compounds the waste of money even further.

If he's been using Macs, where is he getting this type of ignorant bias against AMD from? That's what Macs have been using for years now for video cards. There's also plenty of other manufacturers that provide good warranties with their cards. If anything, EVGA is one of the absolute worst brands to overclock with since they use near reference coolers with horrible temperature outputs.
    10 characters.

Guru3d reviewed both but not in the same review. Fortunately guru3d's test system and game settings remain the same for both reviews and so the results can be compared. Note that the GTX570 SLI (tested in Dec 2010) used driver 263.09 Beta while the HD7970 (tested in Dec 2011) used 11.12. And the resolution used was 1920x1200:-

Game GTX570 SLI vs HD7970
    -COD Modern Warfare 2 230 vs 166
    -Battlefield BC2 103 vs 75
    -Dirt 2 138 vs 105
    -Far Cry 2 153 vs 102
    -Metro 2033 54 vs 44
    -Anon 1404 109 vs 122

Reference
    GTX570 SLI http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...0-sli-review/5
    HD7970 http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-ra...7970-review/13

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlychap View Post
    10 characters.
    Yes, lets play that game. Go ahead and compare 7950 CF with 570 SLI. Take a wild guess which one wins.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=518

Seems like this "friend" is you, and you're coming here asking for advice when you're just going against everything we suggest. Why not just go ahead with the poorly optimized build and stop posting here? You're not heeding anything we're saying.
    Last edited by glo; 2012-04-28 at 03:28 PM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics