Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Razer Tiamat 7.1 (Move if in the wrong place)

So today I finally got my Razer Tiamat 7.1. Its always sold out so I was lucky to get my hands on one (yeah I know.. Razer is generally overpriced and fancy but I wanted to get rid of my old PoS headset).

Anyways, I do not know if other people currently have this headset but its worth a shot since I'm baffled. When speaking to people on vent, I sound a little muffled and genuinely horrible compared to older mics. Even a $10 mic would fair better than the quality they are receiving over voice chats. Its not them either. I tested myself and I can hear it too.

I've searched around on google and can't find anything related to this issue. I looked to see if there were any drivers and there were not. I reinstalled my Nvidia video card with the HD audio to see if that did anything. I'm not sure if it did, but I still sound horrible.

If someone could help me with this issue, it would be great. When it comes to audio products, I do not know anything about fixing them.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you've just got it and you think a $10 version would do better you send it back stating that you are not satisfied with the quality of the product and demand a refund for the product not performing as expected/advertised. (Which with a Razer product shouldn't be too hard to do)

If you phone them up chances are Razer will do their level best to make sure that you have all the correct drivers and settings to make it work before agreeing to a refund.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    If you've just got it and you think a $10 version would do better you send it back stating that you are not satisfied with the quality of the product and demand a refund for the product not performing as expected/advertised. (Which with a Razer product shouldn't be too hard to do)

If you phone them up chances are Razer will do their level best to make sure that you have all the correct drivers and settings to make it work before agreeing to a refund.
    Tech support was the last step in my process. I tend to have horrible luck with those experiences, and it is going on 9PM and I had nothing better to do but look around on the internet as well as ask MMOC.

The only thing wrong with it is how others hear me. I hear everyone perfectly. The sound quality is AMAZING inside different games I play. The comfort is the best I've had or experienced. Literally every aspect of this headset is great- except for how I sound to others. I'm assuming this is something on my end, so I came here for maybe some help before I go to customer support

Deleted
    ITs nothing to do with tech support. U just bought it and its faulty, Take it back to the shop...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    ITs nothing to do with tech support. U just bought it and its faulty, Take it back to the shop...
    I wish it were that easy. These headphones are always sold out and can only be bought online. They were available for a whole 15min before being sold out again. Its about a few months wait time for a new pair. I think this is something on my end.

I won one of them in the contest they had a while back and haven't had any problems with my mic so it's possible you just got a faulty one. Your mic isn't muted on the control box is it?

Do you have another box or laptops to try to use it on? Ask a friend to use their computer if you don't and see if it happens again. If it does, it's a hardware problem and you just got an unlucky draw.

Also, does it have its own driver that you didn't install? That could be it, though generally Windows is pretty good with audio devices, assuming you're using Win7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everix View Post
    I won one of them in the contest they had a while back and haven't had any problems with my mic so it's possible you just got a faulty one. Your mic isn't muted on the control box is it?
    It is not. People can hear me... and I am infact pretty clear to them, its just background noise. The issue is I have a lot of background noise. Or I just sound boxed in.
    Last edited by Forsedar; 2012-04-28 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I wish it were that easy. These headphones are always sold out and can only be bought online. They were available for a whole 15min before being sold out again. Its about a few months wait time for a new pair. I think this is something on my end.
    They are not faulty, it's a driver problem.
    I'm not sure there's a way to edit this since I'm pretty sure it's a USB headset.
    Look around in Windows 7 sound recording options for the headset. See if there are any noise cancelling or anti background noise effects active. Those cause major problems with certain voices.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    recheck the settings you have on both vt/ts and on windows. Had a similar problem happen to a friend of mine and basically it was bad program setup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpongeGuard View Post
    They are not faulty, it's a driver problem.
    I'm not sure there's a way to edit this since I'm pretty sure it's a USB headset.
    Look around in Windows 7 sound recording options for the headset. See if there are any noise cancelling or anti background noise effects active. Those cause major problems with certain voices.
    I'm playing with the different settings now. I'm changing the +dBs as well as changing my outbound in vent itself as well as the remote the headset comes with. I guess I'm sounding a little better but I'm not completely clear.

Or perhaps, you have a faulty mic on it. It happens. I would see about getting it replaced, if the problem is still happening after that. Then yes, I would say it is something on your end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ujellybrah View Post
    Or perhaps, you have a faulty mic on it. It happens. I would see about getting it replaced, if the problem is still happening after that. Then yes, I would say it is something on your end.
    I'll try to get a hold of support. I'll see what they say.

I have a friend who has the Razer Megalodon. His mic sounds like he's in a wind tunnel unless he alters a few settings.
    I'll try and find out what those settings are, see if it can't fix your problem too.

10+ Year Old Account
    After reading some reviews... it turns out I need a dedicated sound card in order for it to clear up. I honestly don't know why, but a buddy of mine gets his tomorrow and he has a 7.1 sound card. If he sounds perfectly clear, I'll invest in a sound card since I'm in need of one anyways.

Razer has had notoriously awful mics. I'd strongly suggest looking at other vendors like AstroGaming. I've burned through a lot of $ on Razer. I've been exceptionally happy with my Astro gear.

Deleted
    The fuck, I only just recently got the Razer Megalodon and that's meant to be 7.1 Surround Sound. Why the fuck are they saying the Tiamat is the first true 7.1 Surround Sound headset!? Have I been fucking conned!?

The Razer Megalodon is Virtual Surround Sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Striipes View Post
    The fuck, I only just recently got the Razer Megalodon and that's meant to be 7.1 Surround Sound. Why the fuck are they saying the Tiamat is the first true 7.1 Surround Sound headset!? Have I been fucking conned!?
    you can get "virtual" surround sound in a stereo headphone if you have adequate soundcard/software (in the case of Megalodon, the maelstrom audio processing box u get with it).

the true 7.1 in Tiamat is actually coming from the fact that it has different drivers in different location of the ear cup.

Deleted
    Sorry for the slight necro. So is there just a slight difference in virtual and true surround sound or is it massively noticable?