Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Just wow. Have you read anything about Guild Wars 2? THE GAME IS ABOUT PERSONAL SKILL.
    Yeah, and he said he doesn't like it. What is your problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Aelreth View Post
    I dont understand pvp.

I joined one, then it went on for like 3 matches, so I finally left. But I had to go to the mists, then I was stuck there, till I figured out how to leave.

Do you get xp for pvp? What are the rewards? Is it incomplete cause of beta? How many matches do you have to play?

Im used to the one and done of wow and swtor, but this... i dunno.
    The rewards are cosmetic and your enjoyment.

Have fun, that's how the entire game works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Madloaf View Post
    Yeah, and he said he doesn't like it. What is your problem?
    If that's just not his style, there's no point in him complaining about it. Their philosophy will not change. I respect him for having that opinion (I forget your name, sorry), but that's just how GW2 works. That's like complaining about raids being in WoW. Or no vehicles in CoD. You just don't touch the subject because there's no point.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klazmaunt View Post
    EDIT: Standard Gear is available for free. Forgot to mention that.
    Everyone keeps saying that but I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by slipn View Post
    Everyone keeps saying that but I can't find it.
    Go to the only waypoint in the Mists. There's three vendors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Klazmaunt View Post
    If that's just not his style, there's no point in him complaining about it. Their philosophy will not change. I respect him for having that opinion (I forget your name, sorry), but that's just how GW2 works. That's like complaining about raids being in WoW. Or no vehicles in CoD. You just don't touch the subject because there's no point.
    He still has a valid point and I agree with him. For me, the greatest thing about an MMO is that you have your personal character that you build up and spend time on and get better with. You lose a lot of that feeling when they do this with battlegrounds, unlock everything just for balance. I mean come on, people are saying "Gw2 is all about just having fun", but now they are removing the bond you have to your character because of BALANCE AND SKILL. All other things have been great so far about this game, but this is kind of lame.

Just wow. Have you read anything about Guild Wars 2? THE GAME IS ABOUT PERSONAL SKILL.
    As much "skill" as you can have in a game with tab target and autoattacks anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    He still has a valid point and I agree with him. For me, the greatest thing about an MMO is that you have your personal character that you build up and spend time on and get better with. You lose a lot of that feeling when they do this with battlegrounds, unlock everything just for balance. I mean come on, people are saying "Gw2 is all about just having fun", but now they are removing the bond you have to your character because of BALANCE AND SKILL. All other things have been great so far about this game, but this is kind of lame.
    His point may be valid to some. But it is an opinion, and one without any true validation because it is subjective. Just like my point that it doesn't, or shouldn't, matter is without any validation. All I'm saying is there's no point in bringing up something that you don't like about the game that will not be changed. It's just asking to start a flame war. This forum has many fanboi's, and they lurk just waiting to strike on posts like that.

---------- Post added 2012-04-28 at 03:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    As much "skill" as you can have in a game with tab target and autoattacks anyway
    Now you're either trolling or trying to flame.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

He still has a valid point and I agree with him.
    He really doesn't. There is progression, in the manner Arena.net intends, and it's made to be this way very specifically. Essentially, he has issue with this game being like this game, and its PvP being like this game's PvP, rather than another system entirely. Especially odd when the systems he seems to be looking for do exist in many games, plenty of games serve what he wants.. so games that want to do something else are suddenly off because it's not what he (or you) want?

I'm sorry, but no, otherwise we wouldn't have different genres, and different takes on existing genres, for different persons.

For me, the greatest thing about an MMO is that you have your personal character that you build up
    And your character progresses in GW2, in PvE in PvE ways and in PvP in PvP ways. Each have their own system.

and spend time on and get better with. You lose a lot of that feeling when they do this with battlegrounds, unlock everything just for balance.
    They separated PvE and PvP in GW1 too, in a very similar way, and it worked there just fine. Your comment of, "just for balance" is hilarious when part of the issue with balancing many MMOs is how PvE effects PvP and PvP effects PvE, often in very, very negative and counterproductive ways.

I mean come on, people are saying "Gw2 is all about just having fun", but now they are removing the bond you have to your character because of BALANCE AND SKILL. All other things have been great so far about this game, but this is kind of lame.
    How have they removed that bond? Your character progresses in PvE in a variety of ways, and it progresses in PvP as well, just not in the traditional ways. There's still progression. Your point that you don't feel a bond extends to you, and those who feel as you do, and no one else - do not project your feelings on that subject onto others, because, no, we don't all feel that bond is lacking. I certainly don't.

You say Balance and Skill like they're bad things. Coming from GW1 this system is quite familiar and quite comfortable for me, even with its slight differences and new takes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    snip
    Balance and skill are not bad things of course. What I am saying is, how much of the RPG feeling would we want to sacrifice for it?

Also, I clearly said that they removed "that bond" because it doesn't feel like your character if they give you gear, boost it up and unlock all skills. I can't be more clear than that.

I don't think that this system is so vital to the point of making GW2 the game it is trying to be. I just think it's a bad system, and others do too, so please stop acting like I am wrong.

Balance and skill are not bad things of course. What I am saying is, how much of the RPG feeling would we want to sacrifice for it?
    From what I've seen so far, they haven't really sacrificed any. You progress, simply not in the traditional way.

Also, I clearly said that they removed "that bond" because it doesn't feel like your character if they give you gear, boost it up and unlock all skills. I can't be more clear than that.
    And you can still progress, gain and spend what you gain. You are rewarded for you time, abilities to work with others and skill, just not in the traditional way. And it works quite well, much like Guild Wars 1.

I don't think that this system is so vital to the point of making GW2 the game it is trying to be.
    It's a system much like GW1's, slightly evolved, and much improved in my opinion. Is it the whole game? No. Is it the basis of their view on PvP, keeping PvP and PvE separate for balancing reasons? Partly, and a pleasantly rewarding part at that.

I just think it's a bad system,
    You're allowed to think that. However..

and others do too, so please stop acting like I am wrong.
    I'm still allowed to think you're wrong. Really, you're allowed to think the system is wrong, so, yes, when you share your opinion, people will, and are very much allowed to, have a viewpoint on it. Specifically, in this case, the viewpoint, again, is that I find your viewpoint to be wrong. I find the system to be quite well thought out, I feel like it rewards me, and I feel very happy knowing that balancing issues in PvE or balancing issues in PvP don't have to effect one another negatively. That's not to say either will be perfectly balanced, as, really, I don't believe such a thing is possible, but it will help and I'm glad for it.

Numerical progressions is not the only (or even most popular) progression in an RPG. GW2 progresses in other ways, such as personal skill and Cosmetic appearance. I understand that many folk are used to and like WoW-style character progression, which is all based around numbers, but simply put, GW2 is not and will not be that way. Bringing up the fact that you don't get uber gear upgrades for grinding currency shouldn't even be brought up at this point, because it's been known from the outset.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    I dont' think you get XP from PVP since everyone is at max level (80). Not sure about rewards.
    But this is only the case in this beta.
    On release, you will get XP.
    Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    But this is only the case in this beta.
    On release, you will get XP.
    Right?
    They have not said they will for structured PvP. I don't understand why they wouldn't though.

Deleted
    Stop being such a wanker. He said "Apples and oranges", in other words, what you like might not be what I like. Show so respect. Just because he doesn't like what you like, doesn't mean you should be so insufferable towards him.
    ArenaNet is all about building a good community, and if people like you keep up on behaving like that, we're not gonna have one.

---------- Post added 2012-04-28 at 10:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    They have not said they will for structured PvP. I don't understand why they wouldn't though.
    But I remember they talked about how you can loot players like you can loot mobs and so on to get things. Plus how we could go do PvP at lvl 1 and do nothing but that to progress out character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    But I remember they talked about how you can loot players like you can loot mobs and so on to get things. Plus how we could go do PvP at lvl 1 and do nothing but that to progress out character.
    Pretty sure they were referring to WvWvW.

Because in WvWvW, you're scaled to level 80. You don't get access to all skills and traits.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    in WvWvW you get exp - A LOT exp

there you have all the time events running like defend this or attack this or whatever - when complete you get exp from this like all other dynamic events in the open world

i was lvl 5 when went in WvWvW and lvled to lvl 11 there

Deleted
    I feel more bond with my character than in other games, because it all comes down to my own skill, and my playstyle. It's not a battle of who can spam the most damage, it's looking around you and using your environment in your favor. choices you make matter in this game. It's not like only one way of weapons or something is the best, and if you don't use that way you're a noob..