Page 1 of 2
LastLast

It will be bad for Arena Net...

So far I have to say I love GW2. Its the mmo Ive been waiting for. That said.

It will be bad for Arena Net if a large portion of their beta time is spent getting the servers to even work, fussing with overflow nonsense and making it possible to even play the game. I am not one of those unlucky individuals with bad fps, in fact the game plays flawlessly on my rig at max settings. However, this has been the worst beta I have experienced so far in terms of server lag, disconnects and instance creation issues.

I mean its not like they had no idea how many people were invited to the beta. They had an exact number of what to expect. And dont say its a stress test because it isnt. Stress tests are clearly announced and are usually open betas, not betas from prepurchases/orders and random selection.

If they really want to make people satisfied and confident in their ability to have a stable game they need to extend the beta imo.

What are your thoughts?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    ITS BETA....them trying to get their servers to work is half of why this is even going on. If the last Beta event is like this then worry. But without a release date just know you're party of the process of getting the game to where it should be.

There are a few things I'd like changed but overall its a great game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grishnok View Post

It will be bad for Arena Net if a large portion of their beta time is spent getting the servers to even work, fussing with overflow nonsense and making it possible to even play the game. I am not one of those unlucky individuals with bad fps, in fact the game plays flawlessly on my rig at max settings. However, this has been the worst beta I have experienced so far in terms of server lag, disconnects and instance creation issues.

I mean its not like they had no idea how many people were invited to the beta. They had an exact number of what to expect. And dont say its a stress test because it isnt. Stress tests are clearly announced and are usually open betas, not betas from prepurchases/orders and random selection.

If they really want to make people satisfied and confident in their ability to have a stable game they need to extend the beta imo.

What are your thoughts?
    Well 1) they've NEVER had this many people on the GW2 servers before i don't blame them for having some issues, i have a strong feeling that by next beta (or even by the end of this event) that the server issues will be fixed.
    2) I played the ToR beta, same rig, significantly worse experience, i d/ced in that constantly, lagged to the point of not being able to play etc etc, and that was pretty close to their release... GW2 still doesn't even have a release date so i'm not worried.

They do NOT need to extend the beta, they said the beta will be from X to Y time, why would they need to extend it? Anyone with a brain knows that a beta isn't going to be perfect and their lucky to be able to get in it in the first place, why would it need to be extended to " make people satisfied"
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

You know what I love about your post, it's that you know it's a beta. Beta's are for testing. Not to fully enjoy the game and level to 80. If they didn't do these beta's you would have these problems at launch.

Deleted
    Well obviously the "stress-test" part was a big part of the current beta weekend. Why would they limit it to a weekend otherwise?

Beta weekends are the best way to ensure your servers will be stressed to the max. And they certainly achieved that.

Now it's up to ANet to take this information they gathered and use it to ensure a smooth and stable launch of the game.

I do think it would be wise if they extended the beta into the next week but it depends on what they're going for. They might not even be after all that much game-play feeback at this point and are looking more towards technical/latency/stress testing.

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Well obviously the "stress-test" part was a big part of the current beta weekend. Why would they limit it to a weekend otherwise?

Beta weekends are the best way to ensure your servers will be stressed to the max. And they certainly achieved that.

Now it's up to ANet to take this information they gathered and use it to ensure a smooth and stable launch of the game.

I do think it would be wise if they extended the beta into the next week but it depends on what they're going for. They might not even be after all that much game-play feeback at this point and are looking more towards technical/latency/stress testing.
    If this is the case then that is fine with me, it would have just been nice for them to say.. this is a stress test beta weekend. That way people arent as frustrated when the servers come down. I wouldnt be as frustrated anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can polish a rough diamond, but you can't polish a turd.
    Luckily GW2 ain't brown...

This is really the only problem I've had. There's been a few other things but nothing I feel worth worrying about yet, so I've been enjoying my experience so far.

What are your thoughts?
    This is a Beta Weekend Event - meaning, they are asking large number of people to play, uncover and report bugs, so that they can be fixed for launch. Anyone playing this weekend that is expecting launch perfection is going to be disappointed. Yes, there are going to be bugs. Yes, there are going to be connection issues. Yes, there are going to be times when they bring the servers down to implement patches. Full play time is NOT guaranteed, not even after launch, as there are always internet issues or other issues that could keep you from logging in. But, this is the time where we should be trying to find the bugs and report them - the more we players find and report, the smoother it will be at launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol closed beta is nowhere near a stress test. The initial public betas are the best time to stress test because they get flooded with thousands if not hundreds of thousands of players.

[/COLOR]

If this is the case then that is fine with me, it would have just been nice for them to say.. this is a stress test beta weekend. That way people arent as frustrated when the servers come down. I wouldnt be as frustrated anyway.
    EXACTLY,
    for all those saying "beta is beta" we know that! However, Anet essentially said by investing your hard earned money into this game we will offer everyone a taste that last 3 days. You can't blame anyone for being upset for their taste being a little bitter. I know A LOT of issues will be resolved come release time but clearly no one expected this many issues...including Anet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    Lol closed beta is nowhere near a stress test. The initial public betas are the best time to stress test because they get flooded with thousands if not hundreds of thousands of players.
    For a rough idea of numbers, the thread on the official forum with the client download etc had over 250,000 views before servers went live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    You can polish a rough diamond, but you can't polish a turd.
    Luckily GW2 ain't brown...
    http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/myth...ng-a-turd.html

Beta means the game is finished and the servers are working perfectly!!!

Oh wait, no it doesnt.

And the servers are down yet again. Fail.

Deleted
    And the servers are down yet again. Fail.
    fail? maybe they're fixing stuff

the game runs better than it did 1/2 hours after the beta started

You do realize that part of the purpose of having large scale beta events is specifically so that they can improve the server setup and performance, right? They are encountering and dealing with these problems during the beta so they don't plague the game when it goes live.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffkeeks View Post
    fail? maybe they're fixing stuff

the game runs better than it did 1/2 hours after the beta started
    That makes way too much sense to actually be true, all beta events must be perfect at all times and in all cases and in fact the first ever major beta event must be the best because I live in a magical world full of flying tortoises /sarcasim off

sadly many people actually think like that lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    You do realize that part of the purpose of having large scale beta events is specifically so that they can improve the server setup and performance, right? They are encountering and dealing with these problems during the beta so they don't plague the game when it goes live.
    The problem is that this is actually a beta, not a "beta" (aka marketing exercise) that people are used to.

Hey that's what I was gonna say. I hate when people use that saying now.

As for the OP it IS a stress test. Even if it's not called a stress test doesn't mean it's not. Doing things like this is pretty clever. It gives them a decent idea of what the game will be like for the first few weeks after launch and helps them see where things are breaking and how to go about fixing them. If things are still this rough and we're close to release (keep in mind we don't even have a release date) then yeah, maybe you should worry. Right now on the very first BWE? Don't worry.