Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Thiefs - Why are they so strong?

I've messed around on 7 of the 8 classes now, and one struck me as being EXTREMELY broken.

Thief.

Topping off with my highest crit being 8700, with classes having as low as 11k hp, This just seems completely unbalanced.(That's just the opener with poison & a signet). To put this in perspective my highest elementalist crit so far was around 2k. And that was an easily avoidable, telegraphed Giant circle, with a slow falling fang(takes 3-4 seconds, even cripled you can hobble out of it). This is a shadowstep into an unavoidable slash.

With being able to lock you down for up to ~7-8 seconds, with no escape, Running double dagger/double pistol - I found I could take on any single person with generally out even getting hit. 2v1s were very realistic. I did take a couple 3 and 4v1s, but they were exceptionally bad. Such is to be expected, most people have under 5 hours of gameplay under their belt, afterall.

With how much damage, how easily it is to do, do you feel that they are balanced - with only having such minor drawback of being squishy? Have you(as a light armor wearer) found an easy way to handle these guys? What about you medium armored peoples? Do heavy armors destroy them?(I haven't seen very man, the few i've seen were exceptionally bad).

Am I missing some key weakness here? Playing them, I've not found any glaring flaws to exploit. They seem to just be powerhouses, that in the right hands - are unstoppable.

Oh damn >.<

I wanted to main this class. Probably still will.

Just tired of being the "op" class lol (sentinel in TOR, image in WoW).

/sigh

To put this in perspective my highest elementalist crit so far was around 2k
    You're doing it wrong.

Anyways, I wouldn't consider your 24 hour experience with this game to mean anything. If you asked me what I thought was OP, I'd say ranger. I'm not about to go make a thread about something I have no clue about though.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-04-29 at 12:13 AM.

*shrug* I've only played as a thief. I do very well against most other classes, but I do seem to have to work harder than most to avoid being killed. The only OP part I've noticed was the teleport while downed- can make getting killed stupidly time consuming for people hunting you.

Fighting engineers in particular is difficult for me.

I haven't found them to be really OP thus far. I mean, I've had my ass kicked by them (and by every other profession), but I haven't noticed a trend of thieves destroying everyone.

Deleted
    Let's hop they tune it since we have hade quite enough of roguecraft over the years in several mmos.

Deleted
    I've played dagger/dagger + pistol/pistol thief.

I was shit.

Okay, let me clarify some of the "THIEF OP" from the air.

1. Thief's tend to be extremely strong in 1v1. Now i am not saying that they aren't strong in massive group pvp, but to be strong they must pick their battles.
    2. They are squishy. Yes they have around 18khp, but they take quite a bit of damage from the other professions.
    3. If the enemy group targets the thief while they have don't have their cool downs or heal available they are probably screwed.

Thief's are very similar to rogues, they are cool down reliant when it comes to survivability. Now they do pump out a lot of damage, but if you utilize your dodging you can avoid a lot of it. Most of the time I have noticed that a fire elementalist can go head to head with me and we usually both down one another. If we do not pick our battles wisely we are going to die very fast. In your case you might just be dealing with some very good thiefs.

Posted by Larynx elsewhere on these forums. OP Warrior vs Elementalist

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I haven't found them to be really OP thus far. I mean, I've had my ass kicked by them (and by every other profession), but I haven't noticed a trend of thieves destroying everyone.
    I tend to die slightly faster against Thiefs and well-played Elementalists. But from what my guildie told me, Thiefs are pretty brutal.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't feel strong. I feel squishy. I get hit just as hard as I hit.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I don't feel strong. I feel squishy. I get hit just as hard as I hit.
    This is how I felt it as well. I was forced to go shortbow in order to survive more than 3 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    I've messed around on 7 of the 8 classes now, and one struck me as being EXTREMELY broken.

Thief.

Topping off with my highest crit being 8700, with classes having as low as 11k hp, This just seems completely unbalanced.(That's just the opener with poison & a signet). To put this in perspective my highest elementalist crit so far was around 2k. And that was an easily avoidable, telegraphed Giant circle, with a slow falling fang(takes 3-4 seconds, even cripled you can hobble out of it). This is a shadowstep into an unavoidable slash.

With being able to lock you down for up to ~7-8 seconds, with no escape, Running double dagger/double pistol - I found I could take on any single person with generally out even getting hit. 2v1s were very realistic. I did take a couple 3 and 4v1s, but they were exceptionally bad. Such is to be expected, most people have under 5 hours of gameplay under their belt, afterall.

With how much damage, how easily it is to do, do you feel that they are balanced - with only having such minor drawback of being squishy? Have you(as a light armor wearer) found an easy way to handle these guys? What about you medium armored peoples? Do heavy armors destroy them?(I haven't seen very man, the few i've seen were exceptionally bad).

Am I missing some key weakness here? Playing them, I've not found any glaring flaws to exploit. They seem to just be powerhouses, that in the right hands - are unstoppable.
    ...What skill are you using where you are critting for that much?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thieves are glass cannons. They rely on control and burst to survive in 1v1 situations. Just like Rogues and Frost Mages in Warcraft. Take away their control CDs and they're as good as dead.

The class is only as good as the guy or girl behind the character.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

I'll admit that thieves are one of the more annoying professions to face in PvP, but I'm typically able to compete with them 1v1 as a warrior. Haven't seen an 8700 crit done on me yet, or haven't noticed it anyways. Could be I'm just fighting "bad" ones.

Thieves are incredibly strong. They have all the tools to control and dominate the flow of battle. The cost of opportunity for a thief is rather high, however. Class feels great!

Honestly I think necros are the most op atm. Also, elementalists health is really low. I understand that they're supposed to be a glass cannon, but still having like half to 1/3 of the amount of health that the other professions have is a little ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by scrynen View Post
    Honestly I think necros are the most op atm. Also, elementalists health is really low. I understand that they're supposed to be a glass cannon, but still having like half to 1/3 of the amount of health that the other professions have is a little ridiculous.
    I am not sure why you're finding necros OP. Aside from the minion-mancer spec, their dps isn't a big deal. They only have survivability going for them.

15+ Year Old Account
    just remember, the numbers will probably be tweaked quite a bit before release.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantheist View Post
    *shrug* I've only played as a thief. I do very well against most other classes, but I do seem to have to work harder than most to avoid being killed. The only OP part I've noticed was the teleport while downed- can make getting killed stupidly time consuming for people hunting you.

Fighting engineers in particular is difficult for me.
    That's what's good about the thief. Glasscannon.