First Time PC Build (~$1200)

Hello, all. I'm a long time reader of MMO-Champ in general and a recent reader of this particular sub-forum. I am looking to build my very first PC this month. The Gateway PC I am currently on was purchased from Newegg about 7 years ago, so it's time for a change. I have never built my own machine so any general advice is appreciated.

Anyway, I am looking to run games and applications on highest settings for as long as possible, including HeroEngine, Diablo 3, and Guild Wars 2. I have about a $1200 USD budget and so I've done a little homework on other peoples' build threads. Hapylol has been an incredibly useful resource for others, so I do particularly hope he drops in. I am currently looking at a build that's pretty much identical to one he made for someone else.

(Well, the forum is giving me errors trying to post the link OR plain text ... let's try this I guess?) pcpartpicker p 7619

I have just a few questions about the build before I dive in head-first.
    - Can you verify that everything will fit physically and be fine for voltage? Maybe a silly question because I'm sure you took that into account when making the build, but just curious. Also I'm kind of paranoid, so there's that.
    - Is there a particular thermal paste I should use? I heard Arctic Silver is best.
    - Do you have any key tips you could pass on for a first time build, particularly relating to the CPU/Mobo/Heatsink?
    - I can't seem to find the MSI Radeon HD 7850 stocked anywhere. The only place on the PartPicker site that was listed was NCIX, but they are also now on backorder. Is there somewhere else I should look? Is it worth waiting for if I order on backorder? Is there an alternative card that performs as well and will last me as long into the future while sticking around the same price range?

This whole PC building thing is a very humbling experience in general so far, so, again, I do appreciate anyone's help! Have a great day, all.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome looking build. These are the changes I would make to increase the performance

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($117.73 @ Amazon)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($367.55 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: OCZ 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1185.97
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-04-28 15:42 EDT-0400)

As far as building everything should fit just fine. Thermal paste comes with the i5-2500k and it will probably come with the aftermarket cooler also.

My advice is one to check out the videos posted here, and two be patient. It will take at least 3-5 hours to put this together. There is no rush and the sense of accomplishment you get after will be awesome

If you have any questions whatsoever just ask and goodluck!

Don't forget to budget in 99 dollars for Windows 7

Make sure you take your time, you are not racing anybody. Better to take a little longer to make sure you get it right than have to re-do 3 hours work because you forgot to do something right at the beginning. Follow the instructions to the letter and you will be fine.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-04-28 at 08:14 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Butler,

I assumed since he didn't have it in his list that I shouldn't have it in mine

OP,
    If you do need Windows included in the budget let us know and we can update it.

Thanks for your replies!

Actually, yeah, I do need the OS in the build.

I heard the thermal paste that comes with CPUs and coolers isn't the best quality, though. Is that incorrect and I'm actually fine with what is included?

The video card you listed is $100 more expensive than the one I had in my build (it was $260). Is there any way to get something like the 7850 for $250 or am I boned because no one seems to have it in stock?

Also, I saw the only other thing you changed was the PSU. Is there a particular reason for that? Mainly cutting price? Is the one you listed of comparable quality?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hapylol View Post
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($367.55 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: OCZ 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    I don't know if I would have suggested a lower-end PSU that is both only 80 Plus (compared to Corsair's 80+ Silver) and a drop of 50 watt drop off. Plus a $50 modular power supply? NO, I do NOT trust that.

The up from 7850 to 7870 also I'm not so sure was entirely necessary, cutting quality on PSU only to put in a GPU that requires more wattage? Yeah, not a good idea.

To expand on the power supply, for only $50, they seriously had to have cut corners on quality of the components, I really would stick with the nice Corsair one you were originally looking at, as it is I do not trust OCZ really anyways, but we still can come back to only $50 for a PSU that is both at least semi-modular and 80+? That smells extremely fishy and generic, nothing I'd want to power my rig with.

---------- Post added 2012-04-29 at 12:00 AM ----------

Also Drunkenvalley just found this and sent me to it, this is all levels of bad quality:

---------- Post added 2012-04-29 at 12:03 AM ----------

Basically some big issues I see there:

504 watts on the +12v, except, there's two +12v rails, so that means even more bad. 25A on each, a QUALITY power supply will have a single +12v rail, not two.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2012-04-28 at 11:58 PM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I don't know if I would have suggested a lower-end PSU that is both only 80 Plus (compared to Corsair's 80+ Silver) and a drop of 50 watt drop off. Plus a $50 modular power supply? NO, I do NOT trust that.

The up from 7850 to 7870 also I'm not so sure was entirely necessary, cutting quality on PSU only to put in a GPU that requires more wattage? Yeah, not a good idea.

To expand on the power supply, for only $50, they seriously had to have cut corners on quality of the components, I really would stick with the nice Corsair one you were originally looking at, as it is I do not trust OCZ really anyways, but we still can come back to only $50 for a PSU that is both at least semi-modular and 80+? That smells extremely fishy and generic, nothing I'd want to power my rig with.

---------- Post added 2012-04-29 at 12:00 AM ----------

Also Drunkenvalley just found this and sent me to it, this is all levels of bad quality:

---------- Post added 2012-04-29 at 12:03 AM ----------

Basically some big issues I see there:

504 watts on the +12v, except, there's two +12v rails, so that means even more bad. 25A on each, a QUALITY power supply will have a single +12v rail, not two.
    It's on a hefty sale right now on newegg. It's usually $75+. But regardless...

All kinds of uninformed crap here. I'm also pretty sure you don't understand the difference between 1 rail and 2. Having 2 rails doesn't mean a video card can only use one. Since that line was introduced for GTX 7xxx SLI, the multi-rail setup was there for voltage stability.

In addition, the ModXtremes have been around for 5+ years and have gotten numerous positive reviews.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ply-Review/936

There's an example from one of the more reputable PSU reviewers. Go ahead, show me where it's "bad".

As far as budget corsair being better, they do the same thing with wattage in the builder series.

Last edited by glo; 2012-04-29 at 02:11 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why even bring up the Corsair CX 600 when the OP was originally intending to get the Corsair HX 650? I never even said anything about Corsair's low-end... yes they both cut corners, however I've not heard nearly as many negative reviews/posts about Corsair as I have about OCZ, so which company would you trust?

Personally I think I trust the company who has both a better reputation overall and better customer service on top of the fact that they get a number of their PSU's parts/prebuilt from Seasonic, a truly leading name in the power supply industry and rebrand them.

So really though, what are you getting at here, other than once again trying to point at me and call me names/try to undermine me?

I was simply saying the OP should stick with the (arguably) better PSU (Corsair HX650) than go for the lower-end more cutting corners one, (OCZ whatever 600w one).

Is that so bad of me? I never said I know everything about power supplies, but from what I've read, both on here and other websites, most people swear by the single 12v rail and it's pretty apparent it's a marker of higher end PSUs, as all the top-of-the-line ones are single rail.

Hell even the Corsair CX 600 is a single rail. Teehee.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    The CX is on the same level of quality as the ModXStream.

Edit: I CAN'T READ LOL
    Last edited by Asera; 2012-04-29 at 03:01 AM.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    It's on a hefty sale right now on newegg. It's usually $75+. But regardless...

All kinds of uninformed crap here. I'm also pretty sure you don't understand the difference between 1 rail and 2. Having 2 rails doesn't mean a video card can only use one. Since that line was introduced for GTX 7xxx SLI, the multi-rail setup was there for voltage stability.

In addition, the ModXtremes have been around for 5+ years and have gotten numerous positive reviews.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ply-Review/936

There's an example from one of the more reputable PSU reviewers. Go ahead, show me where it's "bad".

As far as budget corsair being better, they do the same thing with wattage in the builder series.

What uninformed crap? I'm pretty sure all Deltrus posted is valid information. I'm also pretty sure he understands the difference between 1 and 2 rails. Point is it doesn't really contribute to anything other than the so called "voltage stability" which is simply there in higher end power supplies, you don't need 2 rails for that.
    Amd simply because they've been around for 5 years doesn't mean they're beast compared to other PSU's, it simply means they're strategicly priced to compete with other PSU manufacturers.
    Of course they've gotten positive reviews, as long as they don't blow up and simply work, why wouls there be bad reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    What uninformed crap? I'm pretty sure all Deltrus posted is valid information. I'm also pretty sure he understands the difference between 1 and 2 rails. Point is it doesn't really contribute to anything other than the so called "voltage stability" which is simply there in higher end power supplies, you don't need 2 rails for that.
    Amd simply because they've been around for 5 years doesn't mean they're beast compared to other PSU's, it simply means they're strategicly priced to compete with other PSU manufacturers.
    Of course they've gotten positive reviews, as long as they don't blow up and simply work, why wouls there be bad reviews?
    He said 2 rails is bad. It isn't. He said the PSU was obviously poor quality, according to the masses that have used this since release, it isn't.

So yeah, misinformed crap.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Either way, the PSU I linked has 600+ reviews with 4+ stars I am sure it is more then quality enough. I linked it so he could cut cost and upgrade the GPU.

OP,

If you need OS I would suggest just waiting until the 7850 comes in stock.

Let us know if you have anymore questions!

I go to work for a few hours, and what do I come back to?

Let's just go from the beginning then, shall we?
    The ModXStream are decent enough, if you accept that for all intents and purposes, they are marked-up.
    Multi-rails being bad is a common misconception that does get thrown around a lot (including by me back when I was a bit more misinformed than I am now, and I'm afraid I've flaunted that opinion around, and convinced Deltrus of this misinformation in the past, I believe).
    There are a few multi-rail PSUs whom are badly wired though, like the HX1000 for instance; (one rail goes to PCI-e pins only, and the rest goes to everything else only, split 50/50) however most are rather okay.
    It also have a few advantages over single-rail.
    When one doesn't want to bother going into research on the specific multi-rail PSU, single-rail PSUs are obvious choices however.

And while I do appreciate a spirited discussion, remember that words can hurt, so dropping the thorns would be nice!

As for the linked PSU, it's sure enough to power the build.

Didn't mean to spark such a heated debate! Thanks for your interest, though.

How does Gigabyte compare as a brand to MSI? I'm looking at some reviews of the model you provided and seeing some complaints about size. Is MSI what you guys prefer? Are any other brands of the 7850 worth a look? That $100 increase has got me hesitating a bit.
    Last edited by mns8; 2012-04-29 at 06:05 AM.

That card's heatsink looks like it's about half an inch longer than the actual card, that's it. It looks to be using the standard PCB, so it's gonna fit in just about any case mid-tower and up.

build pics

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mns8,

since you said your budget is ~1200 I would just stick with the 7850 since you need windows7 included in the budget. Things should clear up in a week or two if you can hold off until then.