Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I would prefer it like this.

One Holy Power ability for:
    • Single target threat
    • AoE threat
    • Self Healing
    • Mitigation

So basically one would be Shield of Righteousness, one would be Word of Glory, then perhaps one would be a superpowered Holy Wrath or such, and one would increase the effect of Holy Shield or such, for instance.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by learntotank View Post
    Is GbtL overheal shield nice? Yes.
    Is it needed? No.

What people obviously don't understand because I see like 5 posts a day about it on this board, is that even if WoG is overheal guess what, you're now topped off and it has served it's purpose: TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T DIE.
    To ask for it to create a shield so you don't feel "cheated" for "wasting" Holy Power is beyond retarded and just adds extra fluff to an ability that simply doesn't need it.

If you don't want to feel cheated about it, then either don't use WoG when it's going to be overheal or think about how to use it ahead of time so you do get the most out of it.

Not hard.
    The issue isn't with the person playing the Prot paladin. It's with the healers. You don't know when they're going to start dropping giant heal-bombs on you, or if their spells are going to crit. So when you hit WoG, instead of "aww yeah, just saved my own life" you get "aww no, just wasted 90% of that heal because the healers got me up faster". It's the way the ability is supposed to be used (as far as I can tell), but the "fun" factor of using it skillfully can be almost completely removed due to random chance.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

10+ Year Old Account
    To ask for it to create a shield so you don't feel "cheated" for "wasting" Holy Power is beyond retarded and just adds extra fluff to an ability that simply doesn't need it.
    shrug, though i do see your point...
    is shield block for warriors wasted just because they are at CTC?
    no, they get critical blocks from it. however combat bandage and enraged regen are not paused during a lucky parry streak when the warrior takes no damage

is deathstrike healing wasted because the dk had just been topped off a split second before runes came back up?
    no, the damage taken from the last...5 seconds(i think) is still applied to the heal and shield, overhealing with DS still gives the full shield amount +mastery.
    so they can ds any time and not be screwed, don't even have to spend talent points to make it give a shield.

druids don't get a mechanic like this atm(mmm new talent point for insta casts HT's in bear form anyone? shapeshifts in and out for more heals(shifting in gives the gcd, not shifting out, so in between boss swings)
    so in MoP we will have to deal with it as well.

but out of all the tanks only paladins have an ability that is only beneficial constantly IF they put talent points into it...as far as healing abilities go.
    i guess warriors kind of as well but heh.

i see both sides of the coin, id love to see wog for prot paladins changed slightly though, some of the 'fixes' i see thrown about by people seem a bit to strong.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Is GbtL overheal shield nice? Yes.
    Is it needed? No.

What people obviously don't understand because I see like 5 posts a day about it on this board, is that even if WoG is overheal guess what, you're now topped off and it has served it's purpose: TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T DIE.
    An ability that heals you for 100k once a fight but only 100 every other time because of the way it works and interacts with Mastery simply means a: its a survival CD, not a survival tool and b: the Mastery stat is largely wasted and hence of low priority and thus value to Protadins.

For Mastery to have value, the tools needs to be useful and valued and having much of its effect wasted on an overheal does not accomplish that. The new Mastery is better than it was, but the GbtL mechanic would be desireable to ensure the Mastery stat remains valuable to the spec.

If you don't want to feel cheated about it, then either don't use WoG when it's going to be overheal or think about how to use it ahead of time so you do get the most out of it.
    The spec is going to be balanced around it so not using it is not an option. Saving it for later use is similarly wasting it. Having it overheal simply wastes the stat points used by Mastery and the mana used by the healer to heal you.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Personally I would prefer it like this.
    Part of the issue...as I see it...is the lack of HP consumers - on all specs. Theres too few to really hang interesting effects off.

Another (potential) issue is Blizzards current AM model. Build 3...spend 3...repeat doesn't leave much room for choice or reaction. The class still has BC but even that appears likely to be spent very quickly; as things stand....you use SotR to build up the Bastion effect and then use WoG as a heal - but if that enhanced heal can't make up for that 30% DR from SotR as well as provide a heal then what use is it? If you spend so many HP on SotR that you can't get enough for WoG...what use is it?

The change is good in that it makes the Mastery interesting.

But I'm still leaning to the thought changes need to be made to the actual Active Mitigation model itself. Something that will free up room and resources to actually make use of these ideas in a meaningful manner. Otherwise, all we'd have would be simple mindless maintenance.

EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2012-05-02 at 02:07 PM.

Deleted
    Since currently there is only two holypower spell, i fell it miss the protective bubble of words of glory. However this possibility doesn"t fit with current spell (i can be wrong but it will be too much currently)

But some change can be made. SOTR can for example increase WOG effect but also allow 20% of the overheal to create a protective buble (that can be 33% or 50% its depend after how thing fit together) But if Paladin can create such protection, something must be made to maintain the tanking balanced: certainly less block chance for example.

Also it's peharps a bit hard currently to offer many possibility with just two spell, and some more will open more diversity for combo of sinergy of spell (like the monk)